Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks Hill Windbag View Post

...Thanks - I get "halyards" but this boat has a roller furl jib, and 3 small lines in the boom (Outhaul, ???,???). It looks like it had lazyjacks? from the odd small lines with knots on either side of the main. I just have no clue how it was originally rigged.
Hi Clark, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Yes, there are several internal lines in the boom, quite hard to figure out. I'll try to remember to look next time I go to my boat, perhaps I can help you.

Off the top of my head, there is an outhaul that stretches the foot of the sail, drawing the foot aft (to rear) from a line located up front. Not sure if that is the one that ties off to the small cleat on the bottom of the boom, or if it has a cam brake.

There is a reefing line, I tie it to the aft grommet at the reefing row on the sail (a horizontal row of small holes in the sail with big reinforcements at each end. Essentially, the reefing line acts like an outhaul for the row of reefing when shortening the main sail. I tie roughly 1/4 inch diameter lines through each "button" hole running across the sail. I knot them on each side to keep the lines in position and dangle about a foot of line on each side of the sail. When reefing (which I do often) I lower the mainsail till I can hook the front grommet into the ram's horn (metal hook) at the mast, then immediately raise the sail so it is hooked tight. Then I pull the reefing line in the boom at the mast, port side I think, and stretch the aft reinforcement of the row of reefing tight. I tie off the reefing line to the cleat on the boom, or use a cam brake if that's what is there. I lash the aft grommet to the boom with it's own short heavier line, which is acting to like the clew.

Then I loosely roll up the slack sail into a roll and tie it loosely around the boom with the one foot 1/4 inch diameter lines dangling on each side of the boom, using slip knots to shake out the reef easily later. If I didn't have a bolt rope I'd tie around the sail only, but the bolt rope forces me to tie around the boom. Not tight, just cleaning up the slack sail.

There is also a topping lift line through the boom, also on the port side I believe. It has a cam brake. I just tie it to my topping lift, which I previously tied to the top of the mast before raising it. I make sure that I can raise the boom enough to clear my head and lower it enough to make the topping lift slack when the sail is raised - in other words, the sail is holding the boom and the topping lift is slack, unless I want to belly the sail a bit in light airs.

Hope this helps, post again if you need more info. I check occasionally.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2014

robobartz is on a distinguished road

I agree with skygazer. The pdf hunter 23 manual also "vaugely" shows the "quick" reefing system for the foot of the 1st reef grommet. The description below is much better.

This is a tangent... but maybe helpful to someone... when I bought the boat all the lines had been pulled out of the boom except the SS wire outhaul for the foot of the sail.

I especially wanted the reef line restored. Getting the line through the boom looked tricky at first glance. You have two small holes at each end & 9 feet of hollow between. My boom caps were screwed on with SS bolts(glad not riveted) so I took off both ends. Then I and straightened, flattened & twisted together 3 steel coat-hangers together & electrical taped the 1/4 line around the end & use the hanger snake to feed the wire through the 8-9 foot length. If you have a real wire snake use that. On the mast end, make sure you thread the rope above the cam clamp, over the top of the pulley and down the pulley toward the mast. If there's nothing to compare it to its not obvious. The hole above the clamp where the line goes into the boom is not visible
Old 08-20-2014

Aaron42 is on a distinguished road

I got one as my first boat with little to no experience on a lake with regular 25-40 knot winds. I have made some substantial sailing mistakes and haven't demasted or sunk it yet. Sure have learned a lot about how to not sail though.