Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By miatapaul
  • 1 Post By BillA98272

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013

BillA98272 is on a distinguished road
1st Time Buyer looking at a Choey Lee 27 MkII

This would be my first sailboat. I'm looking for a sailboat on the cheap to see if it is something I will stick with. I live in the Seattle Area and would use the boat for Cruising San Juans and maybe a Trip Up to Victoria etc... Weekend camping as well.

I saw this boat on CL

27' Cheoy Lee Sailboat on Trailer - $4000 has a Yanmar Diesel and needs Deck replaced, if you search Seattle boats for sale you can see it.

I like the Idea of the Inboard Diesel VS Outboard... are there any advantages to an outboard other then space savings?

I do have a pretty good collection of woodworking tools Table saw, Band saw, Router table, jointer, 12" Disc Sander... So the ability to fix the Deck shouldnt be an issue as long as I have a good Fiberglass deck to start with. I can also do Fiberglass work as well. I troubleshoot electrical systems for aircraft for a living so the the wiring is a cinch.

Mainly I dont know if this is a good first boat as far as learning to sail. And if I like sailing, moving up to a bigger boat. Can I resell this boat?

I have a guy I work with that is an experienced sailor and said he can help me learn. He likes the boat except for the wood aspect of it and seems to think that might hurt the ability to sell it in the future.

I would like to hear from Choey Lee Offshore MKII owners or people experienced in the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: 1st Time Buyer looking at a Choey Lee 27 MkII

Outboards are cheaper to service and replace, have no drag when sailing, and can help with tight manuvering. They don't work as well on rough seas, are noisier, and consume more fuel. The cheaper to replace matters a lot if you are on a budget.

That boat sounds like it needs a lot of work. If you like working on boats and have the hours to do it then it could be a cheap way in. However you can probably find a 25-27' boat which needs a lot less time and money invested then that one.

Moorage around here is about $250-300/mo for a boat of that size. Recurring costs overwhelm purchase costs so much that buying a boat that requires tons of work probably makes little financial sense.
Old 02-14-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well nothing will make you think that you will not stay with sailing more than a fixer up boat! Especially if it needs deck work. Something that would be easy to discourage you to not finish! Choy Lee boats are kind of a mixed bag, they had very spotty quality control, and from my search it appears as though almost anything could wind up in the deck core. Balsa, plywood, scraps of teak, small critters, kind of like a box of chocolates. There are good ones out there, but mostly those would be the ones that have been cared for well. Don't get me wrong they can be beautiful boats.

If you really just want to see if it is something you want to do, I think it would be wise to get a production boat that will be easier to maintain. Find a Catalina/Hunter/Oday/Pearson/Venture.... the list could go on and on. Getting a Choy Lee is kind of like getting an old Jaguar for your first car. Yea, they look great, and even perform when they run, but you will be cashing mechanical issues for ever. In the case of the Choy Lee to re do the decks properly (replace teak with teak) will cost many many times what you are paying. Check out the price of teak, it is really expensive. If you just strip the teak and fix core, then cover with fiberglass, again you are talking a few times the purchase price and hundreds of hours working on it, instead of sailing. If you want a project to use your tools and don't really want to sail get the Choy Lee, but if you want to sail, get a decent production boat and go sailing. None of your plans really scream blue water, and you won't be going to crazy for a few years anyway. So get experience and then if you really want a blue water cruiser, think about it for your second boat.
Faster and jameso like this.
Old 02-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
...... Getting a Choy Lee is kind of like getting an old Jaguar for your first car. Yea, they look great, and even perform when they run, but ...
Good advice and a great analogy there, Paul...

To the OP.. try not to get fixated on any one particular design or 'deal'.. set a budget and patiently hunt for the best boat that fits into that. It is more or less a buyers' market so you will do well eventually.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-01-2013

BillA98272 is on a distinguished road

Ended up buying a Cal29. It is sail ready just needs bottom paint and at worst topside paint. Solid boat, good sail inventory, inboard engine is down, but came with a decent outboard and bracket. I was able to find another Atomic4 cheap that needed reassembly. Done with the reassembly and saving so e cash for a freshwater cooling setup before running it in saltwater. Block is completely been machined and is fresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 06-01-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA98272 View Post
Ended up buying a Cal29. It is sail ready just needs bottom paint and at worst topside paint. Solid boat, good sail inventory, inboard engine is down, but came with a decent outboard and bracket. I was able to find another Atomic4 cheap that needed reassembly. Done with the reassembly and saving so e cash for a freshwater cooling setup before running it in saltwater. Block is completely been machined and is fresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
A little bit if salt water running won't hurt that engine... But if waiting is not stopping you from enjoying the boat then it's all good.
Old 06-01-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Cal 29 is ten times the boat that Cheoy Lee ever was. You made a very wide choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 06-01-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

My experience of owning a 30yr old boat in good to go condition says don't touch a boat which needs new decks unless you are prepared for SERIOUS amounts of work and no sailing. Even good to go condition requires constant upkeep.

Old 06-02-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Do the FWC conversion kit as the A4 will run great at the higher water temperature it allows and stay much cleaner inside as much less combustion deposits form

Were is you fuel fill as my 1970 it was on the cockpit floor which always got water in the tank

I had to move it the rail to pass survey and it was a BIG improvement

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 06-02-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.