Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road
Catalina value

This will be our first boat. There is a 1987 Catalina 36 foot sailboat. It's in good condition. It's been upgraded with an in-boom mainsail furler. It's for sailing on Lake Michigan. We are considering placing an offer but are looking for guidance on what the market value might be for a similar boat. We know it will depend on a survey, but are looking for some rough ideas of the price point on this year of boat. Any guidance?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina value

1987 Catalina 36 with in-boom furler in good condition: 41k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
This will be our first boat. There is a 1987 Catalina 36 foot sailboat. It's in good condition. It's been upgraded with an in-boom mainsail furler. It's for sailing on Lake Michigan. We are considering placing an offer but are looking for guidance on what the market value might be for a similar boat. We know it will depend on a survey, but are looking for some rough ideas of the price point on this year of boat. Any guidance?
Old 02-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This can vary widely both with condition, and regionally. These are popular boats.. and there were many built so there's no shortage of examples.

Check out this C36 search on Yachtworld.com for a range of asking prices, you can probably generally deduct 10% or so on average for sold values. It is a buyers market so you're in a good place. I'd say that on average you'll find the prices range from the 40Ks to 60Ks depending. btw, an in-mast furler is not a 'plus' for everybody.. whether that's a good thing or not is kind of up to you and your preference.. for me it's not an added value..(actually a deal breaker). YMMV....

1985 catalina Boats For Sale

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-16-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
you can probably generally deduct 10% or so on average for sold values
In this market, is 10% below the asking price the normal selling price? I would have guessed it closer to 20%. Of course, too many variables to generalise, but if the boat has been on the market for 6 months, you have got to put an offer under the asking price. And generally settle somewhere in the middle.

How hot is the boat market in Michegan? A lot of inventory? Factor that into your expected sale price. It's always a negotiation.

Last edited by paul323; 02-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Yes, of course it's hard to generalize and 10% may be minimal.. but didn't want to create unhelpful expectations...

Definitely regional factors as well as many others, including the seller's personal situation...
paul323 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Have your or a brolker bring up what the comporable Cat 36 have sold for in the last 3 years. Not the asking price but the actual selling price. You picked one of the most popular made boats and a good one. There are many good choices

There are many factors which can geatly swing prices of same boats...Faster mentioned some, I will add age of engine and condition, maintainence records, upgrades, rigging, sail newness overall appearence and care of the hull and also the interior.
These are Catlina listings
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

If you ate settled on the 36 Catalinas...look around the country for the best one. It might pay to have it shipped or delivered,

If this is the boat, it looks ok from a pitcure glance.

Interior looks like it ewill need to livining up and wish there were more pictures. Cradle and winter cover ( which is important where you are) will run you over $4000. They dont list engine hours or the age of the sails. AC/ heat is nice but what year. Electronics is ok...but is old.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

This one has upgrades in elctric systems, tall rig, inner forestay, new cushions, davits, radar pole,

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

This one looks like in better condition and is $10,000 cheaper even if you shipped it its cheaper
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2527300

This one is very nice...1990 and really low engine hours and in your area. I like it condition best
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2544512

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-16-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

Thank you to all who responded. You have been a great help. I just wish it were summer! It's cold looking at a boat on the hard in 18 degree weather.
Old 02-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

In addition to what everyone else said, when we got to the point where we had a survey done, after it was over the surveyor told us what other boats of the same model and year and in comparable condition that he surveyed sold for. We took that into consideration (sorta) when we adjusted the after-survey offer.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-18-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
Looks like we're talking about this boat in Holland.

Other factors are the 1) winter cover, 2) decent canvas 3) reverse cycle air conditioning, 4) upgraded fridge, and 5) wing keel.

I wouldn't give much for any of the electronics on the boat, but some of the stuff I've listed above adds a good deal to the value. In particular, with Lake Michigan at record low levels, that boosts the value of shoal draft. Years back when the lake was nearly this low there were dozens of 6' draft boats offered at give-away prices. As long as the lake stays low shoal draft will add to the value of your boat and add to your freedom as to where you can get into.

In addition to a survey, you need to ask questions about the engine. That boat has been in use 26 years and he has not listed the engine hours.

You can also get lots of support over at Catalina 36 International Association Forums - Powered by vBulletin. I'd agree with another poster of around $40K. $38K would be a great deal, but $45K would not be unreasonable if the survey supports it. Don't survey in this sort of weather, wait until it warms up and the surveyor will be able to investigate a little more thoroughly.

GJ
Old 02-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am confused here about this after survey offer.

Generaly the order of business is for the buyer to inspect the boat...once you decide to buy it make an offer. At this point a back and forth between the owner takes place until you either walk away or find a mtually agreeable price. A contract is drawn up and a 10% down payment is made. The contract is made pending the results of the survey.

Buyer pays for the surveyor, buyer pays to have boat put in water if on the land sroed, buyer pays for haul out and re winterization.

Survey can take place before this and then if all is going well sea trial takes place. If the Buyer finds all ok and no major chages occur and sea test shows well then the buyer oks and the price of the contract is enforced.

MOst sales I have seen there is no new renegotiation unless there are some real issiues that were not disclosed beforehand or the engine doesnt work or the hull is in bad shape. I have seen a liitle allowance for other stuff, but there is a signed contract.

There is no second period of negotiations unless the buyer doesnt like things found not to be sound via the surveyors findings. If a few minor things needed to be repaired that would be negotiasble as to who and whether that came off the price or was incurred by the owner.

If I was selling a boat and someone tries to renegotiate me down after the signed the contract thinking they had a second oppertunity I would tell them to stuff it.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner