Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road
Any Watkins 27 Owners in Florida?

I'm researching my first cruiser purchase. The Watkins 27 has caught my attention because it's large beam and cabin seem like a good fit for family cruising. I won't be racing. I've read Watkins are slow.

I'm interested in coming aboard a Watkins 27. I would like to see one first hand before I bid online or travel across the country to investigate a possible deal.

I travel Florida extensively for work and can visit just about anywhere in the state.

If you are willing, please pm me or reply to the thread. I can send you my details. I won't waste your whole day. I just want 30 minutes to look about. I would go for a cruise if you twist my arm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheWollard; 02-17-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Any Watkins 27 Owners in Florida?

I've sailed this boat - they aren't all that slow. They're comfortable, roomy, they seem to be fairly well built. I looked seriously at several before I bought the boat I'm sailing now, but the right deal never came up. They also built a 36, but I didn't like it as much.
For a first cruising boat, you could do much much worse than a Watkins. I don't care if it sounds like a soap company, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 02-17-2013
Winch Fouler

My wife loves the idea, as her maiden name is Watkins and she turns 27 this year.

Old 02-17-2013
Canuck Sailor

Can't argue that one! A friend of mine came with me to look at a boat in St. Pete years ago. I didn't care for the boat I saw, but when this Pearson Triton that was for sale swung on its mooring and she saw its name - Catherine - well, she just HAD to have it.
Care to guess why?

Old 02-18-2013
Winch Fouler

I need her on my side. She's a farm girl and all this talk of sailing the seas can be daunting. She has very little experience on the water. If I can win points with the boat type, I'll take them.

Old 02-18-2013
Canuck Sailor

Let me give you a tip - both of you take sailing lessons - do a learn to sail charter in the BVIs - great vacation, it'll turn her on to the life even more.
Also, she won't be afraid of the boat if she learns how to sail it. And - NEVER take her out in rough weather until she's real comfortable with the boat.
There are more guys whose wives won't sail with them because the damn fool scared her early on in their sailing career.
Let me repeat that - NEVER. EVER. in rough weather until she's well used to the boat.

Old 02-18-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

TheWollard;

There's a few W-27s in the FL area. I have one here on the Chesie as do quite a few others. Try the Watkins Owner's Group. A web page devoted to data on the W's: Watkins* Owners Home Page Reference data only.. no chat; but.....
There's also a mail group at; watkins : watkinssailboats
Lots good ?? asked and answered.

I find the W-27 well suited to my needs. Small enuff to single-hand, big enufff to live-aboard...but my needs are few. While some may diss the Co. I feel the construction (for the time) to be stout. One of the Senior Watkins brothers wanted a solid ICW cruiser and called upon Walt Scott to design one to his specs...all oversized! Standing head room all thru the cabin..as long as yer not over 6'1" or so

GL with it!
Old 02-18-2013
Canuck Sailor

So that's where the design came from. Thank you for that bit of information. In my opinion, the Watkins 27 is the best cruiser under 30 feet out there, perhaps even better than the Canadian built CS27, which is a great boat and a much better sailor overall than the Watkins.
I've also heard great things about the Rawson 30, but almost all of them are on the left coast, I've never even seen one.

Old 02-20-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

You can try to make contact with these folks on a Watkins 27: Great Mysterious
Old 02-23-2013

Dolby is on a distinguished road

Watkins 27' are a great first cruising boat....as I am writing this I am sitting in Long Island Bahamas on my W27 I've had for 4 years....this is its second trip from Delaware to the Bahamas....Currently she is outfitted for cruising...Ex: solar, davits, big battery bank, tiller pilot....My girl and I will be headed over to the keys around mid april....if you need ANY info on this boat, I have SAILED her quite extensively....currently over 4500nm under this haul...our blog is Great Mysterious if you wanna check out where can go and what these boats can do...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.