Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

pavlovpv is on a distinguished road
Seeking Opinions To Refine Search

I decided it was time to dump the laker runner and get back to my passion of surfing the wind after a 10 year hiatus. I have both skippered and crewed on a number of racers, cruisers and in-betweens to know what I like and what I don't like.

To this end I started to narrow down the options, looking for boats that had excellent sailing characteristics as I love a 20 to 25 knot mistral, yet enough creature comforts to finish off a day of sailing with a cool glass of wine before heading back to the house.

Prices for a 30'-33', 10 year old boat is out of the question as money these days is just too hard to come by. So I started to march down the years until a price point became reasonable in my mind. What price point is that you may say, $50,000 and I'm 30 minutes away from dock to flying the jib.

To achieve this goal I decided I needed a realistic strategy of finding a 24 to 28 year old boat build by a good solid manufacturer with excellent sailing virtues with room for the creature features. So cut to the chase, find a boat at a price that we can afford to rehab into a restored sailing machine.

Question: What is your opinion on which boat ( Manufacture, Model, Length, and Year) would be worthy of this type of attention and dedication?

Thank you for reading my ramblings and I look forward to hearing from you ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking Opinions To Refine Search

Where will you sail? What type of sailing? Daysails, racing, overnights, weekend or week-long cruising? Just you? Family?

More info will get you better responses. There are a LOT of 30+ footers in the $50k range.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-20-2013

Great questions,
Inland lake sailing, with occasional overnights, all fresh water. Day and night cruising mostly with family, friends, and my wife. Performance would be nice, but not mandatory, racing most likely not.

Hopefully this helps. Been looking for Tartan, Sabre, Pearson so far.
Old 02-20-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

How we did this in our search was to start with a list of our Must Haves in a boat. That eliminated most of the boats on our list. Then a list of Kinda Wants. I highly suggest having your wife also make a list and compare the two. Sounds like you like to entertain so you'll want a boat large enough to accommodate friends. Decide whether the entertainment is only for daysails/dockside (in which case you won't need as much sleeping space below) or whether you want to take the crew out for multi-day trips.

Also, which inland lake? The boats you mentioned would be overkill for, say, Lake Meade, but good for the Great Lakes. Buy a boat that suits the water you'll sail in. Does the lake have ocean access where you'll potentially go offshore or are you limited to the lake itself?

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-20-2013

Texoma inland only lake with no open water for now. In a few years I might relo to Sarasota in which cast my needs will change at which time I will sale what I have an find something suitable for Gulf Coast travels. Thanks for the information...