Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

alanrothenbush is on a distinguished road
Personal strobes - new or old?

When I purchased my boat a couple of years ago, I found a pair of safety harnesses with strobes attached, specifically, ACR "Fireflys".

To my delight, they worked fine.

Upon examining the batteries, though, I find them with a "put in service" date of May, 1993 and a "replace" date of May, 1998!

These TWENTY year old batteries are still able to make a flash.

My question is, for how long? That is, if I end up in the water and flick the strobe on, will it flash for hours or for minutes?

This is clearly not something to be trifled with, so I thought to replace the batteries, only to discover that

1. they're discontinued, but still available, and
2. they sell for about $50.00 to $60.00, and I'll need two. Add in shipping and I'm at $125.00 plus.

Now, in the grand scheme of sailing costs, $125.00 is not exorbitant, but I am a 9 to 5 working guy that watches every penny.

So, back to the catalogs and I find that NEW ACR Fireflys WITH a battery sell for about $75.00 and a smaller obviously cheaper version (C Strobe) sells for $30.00.

The advantage of the cheaper version is that it takes conventional alkalines or conventional lithiums, easily added to my annual springtime maintenance.

So my dilemma; new batteries, new expensive Fireflys with 5 year batteries, new cheap strobes with yearly replacements?

Any opinions appreciated.

Alan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Personal strobes - new or old?

First option: New, cheap strobes with Lithium batteries. Don't bother with alkaline batteries.

Second option: New fireflys.

Don't bother buying batteries for the old fireflys, they might arrive already out of date.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-20-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

you can get new lithium for the old firefly for $60 from Landfall .is the old one water activated the firefly 3 is and it is about $60 from Star marine, just need to add the AA lithiums
Old 02-22-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Alan, Forespar used to make a strobe for about $25 that used one "C" cell. if the one you found is like that, they're quite durable and putting in a dollar battery every year is cheap enough.

The Firefly is no doubt stronger but perhaps needlessly so. And the battery costs, at least on the traditional ones, exhorbitant. I wouldn't ask how long a 20 year old battery can power the light because it is about 15 years overdue to becoming a leaky mess. Replace or toss.
Old 03-04-2013

alanrothenbush is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the thoughts online and off!

After stewing for a bit, taking out the trusty voltmeter, staring HARD at the ACR battery and thinking about what COULD be inside, I decided to just cut one apart.

After all, while the battery still powered the flash, it WAS 15 years out of date. As frugal as I am (and I AM kinda the crown prince of cheap), I was not going to reuse it.

Upon cutting through the thick plastic shell, I came upon .. two perfectly ordinary Duracell Lithium batteries, available at any camera store for $5.00 a piece!

They were spot welded together and had a bit of silicon seal on either end, but bottom line, $10.00 worth of ordinary batteries and $65.00 to shrink wrap them!

Guess I'll be keeping these otherwise perfectly good strobes.

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Not at all surprised. Even specialty battery packs for rechargeable devices are usually a set of standard cells that are wired and installed inside the OEM case. There are companies that will service them for a fraction of the cost of buying new. Voids warranties, of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-04-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"and $65.00 to shrink wrap them!"
Ah, but it is MILSPEC shrink wrap, installed by a professionally certified installer. (G)

One thing I have found with batteries (alkaline, not lithium) in sealed dive lights, is that the batteries outgas as they age, and the gas causes a black non-conductive tarnish of some kind on brass, copper, and stainless parts. Rendering the light useless. While lithium cells shouldn't do that, I'd still apply silicon grease to all contacts, to ensure that simply can't happen.