Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004

jkumin is on a distinguished road
80k 2big 2small 2feline

It''s nice to hear others who appreciate the virtues of hanks. After racing and cruising for years with a headfoil, we switched back to hanks. We sail a fractional rig with a powerful main so cruising my wife and I tend to use the blade only. The boat is adequately powered up beating by 6 or 7 true. Under that we tend to motor. So we hank the blade on and leave it there all season, unless racing. We drop it into a jib bag with a zipper top, like dropping a main into one of those Stack-Pak mainsail covers. We hoist and drop it about as fast as most people dinking with their roller furlers. The sail has a nicer shape with short battens and no leech suncloth.

An advantage that most don''t consider is at anchor. We anchor a lot in deep water and have found with a bare headstay we move much less than boats with roller furlers, which have lots of windage forward to blow the bow off. I''ve been on a Saga 43 with two big fat rolls of cloth way forward that sailed at anchor all night.

Another advantage - you can slab reef a hanked-on blade. Takes a minute to tie the sheet to the upper clew cringle, then drop the tack to the upper fitting. Gather up the bunt if you like to be neat. Our cruising blade has a slab reef that takes it to about 60%. We have sailed it upwind into 40 knots with 2 reefs and the boat just flying. A blade is normally heavy enough cloth to take it.

Headfoils grew out of racing IOR boats that were headsail driven, and need frequesnt sail change. We have found fractional rigs adjustable enough to get by with far fewer jibs - hence less need to change. Plus we found ourselves racing mostly on short buoy courses and observed few changes upwind anyhow - people tend to hang on for the weather mark and change downwind, even with a headfoil. With hanks the jib goes up fast at the leeward mark, no jamming in the slot and people on the bow feeding it. We just raced the 85 mile Smith Island race in Seattle with hanks and did just fine. Of course, we were the only boat out there with hanked on jibs.

Roller furlers have their place but I wouldn''t rule automatically rule out hanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
80k 2big 2small 2feline

I would like to agree with jkumin whole heartedly. His point is further amplified when you realize that the current thinking on extremely heavy weather storm tactics requires removing the headsail from the roller furler to reduce windage and weight aloft. If you think of manhanding a loose sail as it comes off of the furler in heavy conditions hanks sound pretty appealing.

There was a period when sails that were constructed for offshore use on a furler had ties that went around the furler foil that would keep the sail connected to the furler when dropped, but it has been years since I have seen a furler sail set up that way.

Another advantage of a hanked on sail that has not been mentioned is the use of a jib downhaul. Jib downhauls are attached to the jib halyard and run down the luff of the sail to a block at the tack and then back to the ciockpit. They are used to drop the jib from the cockpit. These used to be common years ago with hanked on sails tacked at the end of a bowsprit and were adapted to knockabout cruising boats as well.

Besides for permitting a quick drop without going out on the foredeck, and holding the sail down on the deck the downhaul allows the halyard to be unhooked from the sail and not go up the mast.

A hanked on sail is easy to flake neatly and a ''body bag'' type sailbag makes stowage easy. All of this gets even more compelling with modern fractional rigs where the jibs are qqqquite small and a single jib can handle a very wide wind range without needing to be reefing (often a range from as little as 5 knots to near 30 knots depending on the design of the boat and sail).

The points being raised here are the reason that more and more fractional rigs sloops are being touted as the best offshore rig on boats under 40 to 45 feet.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
80k 2big 2small 2feline

As is often the case here, we seem to digress a bit. TIDIAS original thread was concerning the entire boat. I agree whole heartedly regarding the vast superiority of fractional rigged boats, not only for cruising, but just about everywhere. Full head rigged massive foretriangles were the results of attempting to beat out a rule, not for getting the best rig for a boat.

I sailed a lot with Bill Cook, when he was in the early stages of developing what was then a ground breaking design, his One Ton "Celebration". Interesting design, the goodness of a frac-rig, but with the evil flat section from stem to the keel that pounded unmercifully going to weather in a chop. They went into production as the NY-36, touted as the one design a couple could cruise. Too bad the build quality was, ahem, not up to the best practices. I know, I commisioned the first 10 or so.

Anyway... I think we are putting together a good picture of a great cruising boat, and a number of newer designs might fill the bill. BUT.... they are new boats that far exceed TADIAS budget.

Are there any boats that will meet all the criteria AND hit his projected $80k target? A tall order, I know. I spent too many years with the IOR and racing scene, never looking outside to the cruising world. So, is there a frac-rigged 40 or so footer out there, built to handle trans-oceanic, that will be in the $80k price range? If not, where might TADIAS look to compromise?
Old 05-10-2004

jkumin is on a distinguished road
80k 2big 2small 2feline

Try a mid-80''s Finngulf 39. Yachtworld has one for sale for under $80 k in Connecticut. Well screwed together. Don''t have the woodwork finish of a Swan but don''t have the price either. The yard is still in business and offers support.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.