Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

jrach74 is on a distinguished road
Starter Boat on shallow water dock

I've been sailing for about 10 years. I sail flying scots on the Potomac River throughout sailing season, have crewed bigger boats in regatas and have chartered hunter 37's on the Chesapeake Bay from time to time. So I'm not a novice sailer, but I'm not a boat owner, or expert sailer by any means. I've now got access to a house on a creek off the Chesapeake with a dock that at low tide has about 18-24 inches of water. There's also the possbility of installing a mooring ball off the dock in the deeper water.

For the purposes of this post, I'm looking for recommendations on good centerboard starter boats that could be kept at the dock and would enable my wife, young son and I to do overnights, and could handle being out on the bay. I've looked online at boats like the Macgregor 25, Oday222, etc, but thought folks here might have some better insights and/or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road
Re: Starter Boat on shallow water dock

A "Sharpie" seems to be a good choice in your situation. They are especially able to explore parts of the Chesapeake Bay many boats can't enjoy. Here's a good example: View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Old 02-22-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

You may want to check out the Shallow Water Sailors web site. They specialize in the sharpie type boats like Dovekie and Bay Hen. If a swing keel is ok ubiquitous standard is the Catalina 22 which has been in production since 1968. Solid class development availability. Check out thier class organization web site.
Cal-29
Old 02-22-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Have you considered a catboat? An 18 footer would draw less than 2' with the board up and would displace as much as a Catalina 22. The cabin might be a bit tight, though, but it would be a very stable platform for a young family.
Old 02-22-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

An S2 7.9 or 6.9 might work well, 7.9 draws 18" with the board up, 6.9 draws 10". Something like this? 1983 S2 6.9 sailboat for sale in North Carolina I'm sure looking forward to getting my 7.9 out on the water this spring!
Old 02-23-2013
jetsam

mr_f is on a distinguished road

With no information on your target price range, I am going to suggest a 42' Southerly. They are a little too deep at low tide for you at 2'8" with the board up, but it is totally safe for them to dry out when the tide drops. There is one in Rock Hall for around $400k on yachtworld. Perfect starter boat. Definitely would allow overnights for your family.
Old 02-23-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Have a thin water situation here in FL similar to that of the OP, though without a trust fund for a "starter" boat that is apparently envisioned by mr_f.

As the OP is a flying scot sailor I'm guessing that he'd prefer a faster boat that sails well in lighter air, vs. a cruiser type. If so then S2s (6.9, 7.3, 7.9) are good boats to consider. Catboats are stable and salty, but are usually heavier w/ no headsail and so not as fast. Others to think about are Balboa 26, Precision 23, and Tanzer 7.5 or 27 SD. Some of the 23 to 26 foot O'Days have CBs and are a consideration as well. These boats can all be had for $5-15K, depending on features and condition.

That being said, I'm still in research mode, and certainly am open to other suggestions.

Ultimately it depends on what is comfortable for you and the family, and the quality of PO upkeep. Best of luck to the OP.
Old 02-23-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Or, if you have the budget for it, maybe one of the Hake Yachts Seaward 26, etc., with its continuously adjustable range keel?
Old 02-23-2013

joebeach is on a distinguished road

Second rgscpat's suggestion of the Hake/Seaward as a thin-water cruiser, but be prepared to spend ~$100K. Not in my budget - can't speak for the OP's.
Old 02-23-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

I would be researching a sailboat that has a shoal keel with or without centerboard, and is designed to sit on the keel when tide is out. In many places around the world, this is the only option they have. Some shallow draft sailboats are not designed to sit on their keel, and some are!

Tags
centerboard , shallow draft , starter boat