SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Advice on choosing a Daysailer for the Great Lakes

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  AE28 
#1 ·
Hello,
I had previously posted looking for advice on a deck-stepped mast sailboat. It was suggested to me that I more carefully consider my parameters. Here they are, hoping someone can assist with a recommendation:
- objective: day sailing Great Lakes
- 22'-33' with 27'/28' preferred
- deck-stepped mast (essential)
- fixed keel draft under 5.5' with closer to 4' draft preferred
- wheel steering
- fast, at least under 180 phrf, but under 130 phrf preferred
- capable of being easily single-handed
- large cockpit to take guests for day sails
- to be used as Daysailer so spartan accommodations would be fine but I do need a head and small galley plus at least one decent length berth, I am 6'2" so I need a berth at least 80" long to be comfortable in case I want to overnight; not looking for a large dingy
- beam of 8'6" would be a plus
Something like a J 27 or Viking 28 would be ideal if it met all my parameters, but they are not quite there. Suggestions?
(previous sailboats owned = Tanzer 22, C&C 34):cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
As I read your parameters the first thing I thought of (before I got to the PHRF) was the Viking 28.. a boat we owned for 10 years and still dear to my heart.

The J27 would probably meet that aspect, as you say.. nearly..

I think the biggest challenge will be finding such a boat with wheel steering.. is that a deal breaker? You've also omitted a huge factor in availability - your budget. In case its not a factor have a look at a Morris 29!

http://www.morrisyachts.com/gallery/m29/

#7 ·
Beneteau has a number of models in that size range.. Too bad the wheel is a deal breaker, that's really going to take you out of the 'daysailer' realm and pretty firmly into the cruiser category, along with stuff you may not want.

.. btw the B331 phrf runs 135 -142 so that hurdle is cleared.... and it has a wheel.... but it's not a daysailer ;)

#8 ·
What gives on the deck-stepped mast requirement? Will you be dropping the stick for clearance?

The Beneteau 321 PHRF's at around 160, has a 4'3" draft, wheel steering, large cockpit, huge aft berth, and is great for single handing with a furling main and all lines led to the cockpit, but alas, her beam is just over 11'.

Can an Alerion 28 be retro-fit with wheel steering?

Or how about...
Dehler 29?
S2 9.2?
Tanzer 29?

Telstar 28? (half kidding)

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply! The Dehler 29 looks good but are you sure she is not keel stepped; looks like a mast in the cabin to me? Same for the Tanzer 29. The S2 9.2 may be deck-stepped, but a little on the slow side, the 9.1 which is faster is definitely keel-stepped.
The Beneteau 321 meets the criteria although it is a bit more boat than I had in mind - my sample boats being a J 27 or Viking 28; that is the style of boat I was hoping for - a quick fun little daysailer. However, the suggestions are much appreciated.

#10 ·
Yup, the Dehler is deck-stepped, per the manufacturer spec sheet: "9/10 aluminium deck stepped tapered mast..."

I think what you're seeing is a cabin deck support for both the Dehler and the Tanzer, but both are deck-stepped.

The S2 9.2 is more cruiser-ish, hence the wheel and slower speed. The 9.1 is fast but she has a tiller.

Agree about the 321. I have been looking at one recently and so thought I'd throw it out there anyway...

#11 ·
Get a good Viking 28, keep the I and J dimensions standard but get a mast 6-7 feet taller and turn it into a fractional rig.. add a wheel (if you must) and I think you're there!! Change to a more modern keel and rudder and you're totally there!

Only half kidding... all the while we owned our V28 I was sorely tempted to do all that.

#14 ·
Guessing Paceship 29... another nice C&C design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.