SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   troubling news.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/96943-troubling-news.html)

deniseO30 02-24-2013 04:01 PM

troubling news..

A guy down past my YC has an Oday 30 like mine. Sigh.. but has a yanmar in it.. he has it on Craig's list for $7,000 Oh, My, Gawd, what's that say about Oday 30s and if and when I were to sell mine! :puke

deltaten 02-24-2013 04:11 PM

Re: troubling news..

Helluva deal! Ya oughta buy it just for spare parts! ;)

Faster 02-24-2013 04:17 PM

Do you know the boat? Put it and yours side-by-side and???? As you know there are a lot of variables, and it could be simply a desperate seller (or a pi**ed off Ex ;))

AirborneSF 02-24-2013 05:59 PM

I feel your pain, I have the same problem with my house value. My wife says it's only worth what someone will pay.

Lake Superior Sailor 02-24-2013 06:06 PM

There are a lot of Cal 28's Out there and then there is mine ! Really I am surprized!..Dale

SloopJonB 02-24-2013 06:27 PM

The market on the West Coast seems to be picking up a little - the insane deals that were routine 3 or 4 years ago aren't happening anymore. I've also noticed that the B.C. market seems to be lower that in the western states which was not the case a while back - L.A. & S.F. were WAY cheaper than here but now it seems to have leveled off or even reversed.

Just like stocks, don't sell on a down market and you won't lose a dime. ;)

sailvayu 02-24-2013 07:04 PM

As a surveyor I am not sure boat prices have bottomed out yet. Sorry to say there are still more sellers giving away boats than there are buyers. The problem is the rising costs of keeping a boat not the boats themselves. It is a shame but that is the way it is. Hopefully things will get better.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS

nauticalrich 02-24-2013 07:06 PM

I would venture a guess that my 1985 31ft Oday should get around 20 to 25grand today.
It has a small 14 horse diesel but the boat has everything from anchor windless, radar, dinghy davits and other stuff. Of course I do not intend to sell and Oday's are good boats.

bljones 02-24-2013 07:09 PM

Here's the problem- old boats aren't dying, and the market of sailors isn't growing, so old boat prices are flatlining, even if the economy is ostensibly improving. if you do not have to sell, don't.

JimMcGee 02-24-2013 07:23 PM

Denise,
It says his boat's a dog or he's a desperate seller.

I just did a search on YachtWorld for O'Day 30's and it looks like the sweet spot for those boats is $18K - $25K with boats falling on either side of the bell curve based on those two factors (and age).

The outliers are a Sandy damaged boat for $2,400 and an immaculate Canadian boat for $41K. It looks like the later model 302's are fetching more than the older 30's. With any older boat a LOT depends on condition - but then you already knew that :D

Jim