Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Make do with wrong boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
Ive been on new boats and things break or dont work, wire connectors that have problems and need to be traced down and fixed, exhaust fitting cracks. If you think you can buy any boat and not have to continually work on it you are mistaken. All boats even new boats are a continual work in progress.
This is my thought too. There is nothing that says that because it's new it's not going to break and 100k+ less up front is a significant chunk of change to oversee some upgrades or deal with issues as they arise.

That said, we're talking about sailboats - this isn't something that comes down to practicality. There is a big difference between an 84' Irwin and a 2007 Catalina. Which boat do you really want?
davidpm and bljones like this.
Old 03-01-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Get the boat you will want for 90% of what you will do with it. I hate to say it, but most of that 90% will be sleeping, eating, living aboard, etc. The rest will be coastal cruising, not major passages. The 10% you have to mitigate, if you don't have the perfect boat for it. For example, you may need to be very careful with your weather windows, but having no schedule helps. Drogues, emergency rudders, etc, may all provide peace of mind that you can pull off one of these infrequent longer passages, if the worst happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

To repeat what some others have already alluded to:

I bought my Gemini new, watched her being built right here in Annapolis in 2007.

I put between 10 and 30 hours most weekends fixing, upgrading or otherwise doing maintenance of some sort, and close to 2k a year into it just fixing issues.
That includes the new engine, plumbing, electrical etc..

New and newer boats are not (for some reason) like cars, in the price range most of us mere mortals can afford they come with issues.

The Irwin I linked is actually priced in the upper range for the model, some go for up to 20k less.

Mine didn't come with windlass, arch, solar, instruments etc. (it's only got 603 hours on the engine, and I put 3 of them on test sailing). I have the advantage of not having to rip out old stuff and replace with new. My budget for buying, upgrading and all is under 100k - that gives me a lot more in my kitty to go sit next to an island with white sand and sunny skies for a lot longer. If I have to fix something while I'm there, sigh. I'll handle it and cool off with a snorkel over a coral reef.

On the other hand if I have to replace the rigging, fuel tanks and such - well, I'll still be under the 150k range, and maybe have to fore go a couple Rum and Coke Zero's here and there.
The way I see it, if a boat is strong, dry and solid at 30, it's probably going to outlast me.
davidpm and chef2sail like this.
Old 03-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Which boat do you really want?
Y'know, I think that question, when we're talking about the last boat, the post-retirement crusing boat, almost deserves it's own thread.
IMO it is the question that should be asked last.
First question: how much ready cash will you have when you retire?
Second question: how much monthly income will your investments/IRAs, etc., bring you?
Third question: Are you going to cruise for a fixed length and return to the dirt by choice, or are you going to adopt the "no fixed address" lifestyle for good?

Then ask, "Which boat do you really want?" shortly after asking "how much can i really afford?"

We've all seen folks who waste months kicking tires on boats that everybody but them knows they cant afford until they finally accept the reality that they need to look in the $50K range, not the $150 K range. That is time they won't ever get back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We own a near-30 yr old boat ('84). Luckily she's the right size, has a good, liveable interior and is quite well equipped, maintained and upgraded. She's dated particularly in her "IOR" pinched ends design, they made cockpit compromises to accommodate a surprisingly liveable aft cabin/berth. As a result, when we raft up with our friends' and their Catalina 34s and 36s, et al, we suffer cockpit envy.

But that's really the only serious complaint we have, and we almost always walk off a 'new' boat at a boat show or brokerage thinking good things about what we've got.

Last year, though, we did think about updating.. something 10 years or so newer and started shopping around. Eventually we figured out we'd have to at least double what we'd get for our boat (in the current market) PLUS add in things like a decent battery bank (have it now) radar (have it now) feathering prop (have it now).. all the things we've spent the last 8 years improving and upgrading on the boat we have would go to ground zero, after spending that extra cash. All to 'improve' our cockpit, and at considerable cost to storage space and quality of finish below.

In the end we decided to do some more upgrades gradually, try to keep the old girl as current and pristine as we can. Unless there's an unknown rich relative in our future, I think this is going to be the last one. Which, in the end, is fine.
davidpm likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-01-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i make do with a 41 formosa i bought with all electronix and auto pile it, and traded a nice 35 ft ericson for it... my neighbor here paid 3000 dollars, canadian, for his steelie that looks like 3000 usd , even after being run down by a catamaran in banderas bay....lol..he has all the tronix and spares.....

is alll what you find when you look.ake sure you sail what you see so you know the differences..there is a wrong boat--if you seek deep heavy ketch as a cruiser and settle for a light speedball of a sloop...you may not be happy then...
davidpm likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward