SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   CS27 vs C&C27 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/97183-cs27-vs-c-c27.html)

PaulinVictoria 03-02-2013 01:59 PM

CS27 vs C&C27

So I might be having a slight bit of 3-footitis, any opinions on the above two boats? Both seem to be of a similar quality, both sail well (from what I've heard).

Faster 03-02-2013 02:17 PM

Re: CS27 vs C&C27

Tough call.....

The CS 27 is well known for construction quality, and sails well, esp upwind.

The C&C 27 might be considered the 'prettier' boat, it's hard to beat the classic C&C sheerline, and personally I prefer C&C's hull deck joint treatment.

I think you'll find that cockpit-wise they are similar, the C&C may have a marginal edge in interior space and wider side decks for moving forward. Both have aluminum framed ports (C&C in earlier editions) that can be prone to leakage, but so can the bonded lenses on later C&Cs. IMO the newer bonded, tinted ports update the look of the C&C substantially.

The CS seems marginally powered if you have the original horizontal Yanmar, a friend has trouble powering much more than 4-4.5 knots, but there could be other issues at play there. Many C&Cs have A4s, which I don't believe CS ever did (but could be wrong about that) so that's another comparison point.

Don't think you could go wrong with a good example of either...

chef2sail 03-02-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 997394)
Tough call.....

The CS 27 is well known for construction quality, and sails well, esp upwind.

The C&C 27 might be considered the 'prettier' boat, it's hard to beat the classic C&C sheerline, and personally I prefer C&C's hull deck joint treatment.

I think you'll find that cockpit-wise they are similar, the C&C may have a marginal edge in interior space and wider side decks for moving forward. Both have aluminum framed ports (C&C in earlier editions) that can be prone to leakage, but so can the bonded lenses on later C&Cs. IMO the newer bonded, tinted ports update the look of the C&C substantially.

The CS seems marginally powered if you have the original horizontal Yanmar, a friend has trouble powering much more than 4-4.5 knots, but there could be other issues at play there. Many C&Cs have A4s, which I don't believe CS ever did (but could be wrong about that) so that's another comparison point.

Don't think you could go wrong with a good example of either...

I agree very similar boats. C&C will be a smidgen faster not enough to matter and actually its strength is abilty and speed to windward, very tight close hauled angle as is C&Cs characteristic even on the larger models. You cant go wrong with either boat.

I would say go three feet more and get the C&C30...now thats a neat boat.
Great performer, comforatable for cruising or weekending good looker.Can be had for a good price usually

PaulinVictoria 03-02-2013 02:54 PM

I would love a 30, but that's 10k more at a minimum. There's a CS27 locally to me for under $10k, and a couple of C&C27s for a similar amount across the strait. That just puts them into "affordable" territory.

Faster 03-02-2013 03:09 PM

SNer mitiempo is near you, Paul, and lives aboard a CS27... hopefully he'll chime in for you, or have you met/talked to him already?

chef2sail 03-02-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria (Post 997405)
I would love a 30, but that's 10k more at a minimum. There's a CS27 locally to me for under $10k, and a couple of C&C27s for a similar amount across the strait. That just puts them into "affordable" territory.

You cant go wrong with either of them. Go for the one in best condition.

sony2000 03-02-2013 04:40 PM

The deck core of the C&C27 is a significant weak point. Yet the 8hp diesel of CS27 is lacking speed and power, especially on the ocean. Take the C&C with the rebuilt or dry deck core only.

SloopJonB 03-02-2013 04:42 PM

The CS is a bit bigger boat - 1/2 ton more Disp, 1/2 a foot more beam & a foot more W/L.

Both are good old boats but I find the CS boats seem to hold up a smidge better over time.

There are a couple of donated C&C 27's at Harbour Yachts - or are those the ones you referred to?

rugosa 03-02-2013 04:44 PM

CS only offered Yanmar diesels in this model, different Yanmars over the production run. Side decks are narrow but design allowed for walking on cabin side under sail. Check the head door - it's a love/hate thing. When you stand in the passageway between main & forward cabin, turn to face the door on port, slip both barrel bolts then turn aft and the door will block off main cabin. Head sink slides in/out.

They are both simply built nuts n bolts boats. CS always offered welded bow and stern rails rather than the socket and tee units on earlier C & C's. Gibb winches on earlier CS (later Lewmar) vs Barient. CS had a cheap painted steel fuel tank strapped underneath the cockpit. The last year we built them a few were built with Beckson opening ports.

You have/had a C & C 24? You'll see the similarities in the 27's. Both good choices, subject to viewing, survey, owner maintenance and updates.

Happy Sailing!

doogymon 03-02-2013 05:59 PM

Seems like the folks sailing C&C 27's are having a ball. The boat appears to have just the right mix to be able to race in light winds and cruise in heavier stuff. The C&C Association BBS is alive and kicking making for a bit of fun cult following. Not sure if the CS27 & C&C30 have the same chemistry. I'm close to buying a C&C 27 myself with the added possibility that if I have to trailer the old girl myself for storage, it is doable. Has the YSM12 which I think is gem.

Best Regards