Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
CS27 vs C&C27

So I might be having a slight bit of 3-footitis, any opinions on the above two boats? Both seem to be of a similar quality, both sail well (from what I've heard).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: CS27 vs C&C27

Tough call.....

The CS 27 is well known for construction quality, and sails well, esp upwind.

The C&C 27 might be considered the 'prettier' boat, it's hard to beat the classic C&C sheerline, and personally I prefer C&C's hull deck joint treatment.

I think you'll find that cockpit-wise they are similar, the C&C may have a marginal edge in interior space and wider side decks for moving forward. Both have aluminum framed ports (C&C in earlier editions) that can be prone to leakage, but so can the bonded lenses on later C&Cs. IMO the newer bonded, tinted ports update the look of the C&C substantially.

The CS seems marginally powered if you have the original horizontal Yanmar, a friend has trouble powering much more than 4-4.5 knots, but there could be other issues at play there. Many C&Cs have A4s, which I don't believe CS ever did (but could be wrong about that) so that's another comparison point.

Don't think you could go wrong with a good example of either...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Tough call.....

The CS 27 is well known for construction quality, and sails well, esp upwind.

The C&C 27 might be considered the 'prettier' boat, it's hard to beat the classic C&C sheerline, and personally I prefer C&C's hull deck joint treatment.

I think you'll find that cockpit-wise they are similar, the C&C may have a marginal edge in interior space and wider side decks for moving forward. Both have aluminum framed ports (C&C in earlier editions) that can be prone to leakage, but so can the bonded lenses on later C&Cs. IMO the newer bonded, tinted ports update the look of the C&C substantially.

The CS seems marginally powered if you have the original horizontal Yanmar, a friend has trouble powering much more than 4-4.5 knots, but there could be other issues at play there. Many C&Cs have A4s, which I don't believe CS ever did (but could be wrong about that) so that's another comparison point.

Don't think you could go wrong with a good example of either...
I agree very similar boats. C&C will be a smidgen faster not enough to matter and actually its strength is abilty and speed to windward, very tight close hauled angle as is C&Cs characteristic even on the larger models. You cant go wrong with either boat.

I would say go three feet more and get the C&C30...now thats a neat boat.
Great performer, comforatable for cruising or weekending good looker.Can be had for a good price usually
RobGallagher and msmith10 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I would love a 30, but that's 10k more at a minimum. There's a CS27 locally to me for under $10k, and a couple of C&C27s for a similar amount across the strait. That just puts them into "affordable" territory.

Old 03-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

SNer mitiempo is near you, Paul, and lives aboard a CS27... hopefully he'll chime in for you, or have you met/talked to him already?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I would love a 30, but that's 10k more at a minimum. There's a CS27 locally to me for under $10k, and a couple of C&C27s for a similar amount across the strait. That just puts them into "affordable" territory.
You cant go wrong with either of them. Go for the one in best condition.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-02-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

The deck core of the C&C27 is a significant weak point. Yet the 8hp diesel of CS27 is lacking speed and power, especially on the ocean. Take the C&C with the rebuilt or dry deck core only.
Old 03-02-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The CS is a bit bigger boat - 1/2 ton more Disp, 1/2 a foot more beam & a foot more W/L.

Both are good old boats but I find the CS boats seem to hold up a smidge better over time.

There are a couple of donated C&C 27's at Harbour Yachts - or are those the ones you referred to?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-02-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

CS only offered Yanmar diesels in this model, different Yanmars over the production run. Side decks are narrow but design allowed for walking on cabin side under sail. Check the head door - it's a love/hate thing. When you stand in the passageway between main & forward cabin, turn to face the door on port, slip both barrel bolts then turn aft and the door will block off main cabin. Head sink slides in/out.

They are both simply built nuts n bolts boats. CS always offered welded bow and stern rails rather than the socket and tee units on earlier C & C's. Gibb winches on earlier CS (later Lewmar) vs Barient. CS had a cheap painted steel fuel tank strapped underneath the cockpit. The last year we built them a few were built with Beckson opening ports.

You have/had a C & C 24? You'll see the similarities in the 27's. Both good choices, subject to viewing, survey, owner maintenance and updates.

Happy Sailing!
Old 03-02-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road

Seems like the folks sailing C&C 27's are having a ball. The boat appears to have just the right mix to be able to race in light winds and cruise in heavier stuff. The C&C Association BBS is alive and kicking making for a bit of fun cult following. Not sure if the CS27 & C&C30 have the same chemistry. I'm close to buying a C&C 27 myself with the added possibility that if I have to trailer the old girl myself for storage, it is doable. Has the YSM12 which I think is gem.

Best Regards

Last edited by doogymon; 03-02-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.