Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013

datswite is on a distinguished road
Blisters on survey - Morgan 38

I'm considering the purchase of a 1981 Morgan 38. The survey was today. Overall, the boat is in above average condition with the following exceptions - and some blisters.

1. Bent blade on engine prop
2. Needs cutlass bearing
3. Needs prop shaft
4. Leaky seals on Perkins 4-108 (1440 hours)
4. BLISTERS

Here is my question. Should I walk away for blisters? Or, should I negotiate? The largest visible blister was no larger than a quarter and there were many (probably 50-75 - only on the starboard side).
1981 Morgan 382, Hull #257 - Cobb Island, MD
Our Cruising Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blisters on survey - Morgan 38

I'd guess the Morgan is a solid glass layup in the hull rather than cored, the blisters may be mostly cosmetic. The other items are going to add up to a a fair bit of coin, and the leaky Perkins is a pretty standard problem, as I recall. Unless you're planning on doing all that work yourself the hours are going to add up quickly, plus parts.

If you're willing to negotiate on all else, then I guess overall it depends on the deal. Get a quote and a gel coat peel/barrier job and see what happens.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-03-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Was it docked with the starboard facing south for 25 years and are the blisters all at the waterline?
blowinstink likes this.
Old 03-03-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Blisters on survey - Morgan 38

I'm thinking that the answer to whether you walk depends upon the costs for the repair and whether you can renegotiate the final selling price based upon the results of the survey. Some thoughts:

Cutless bearings all need to be replaced sometime. While it isn't an enjoyable job, it might be one that you can manage yourself depending upon your skill with mechanical stuff.

Bent blade on the prop; how bent? Sometimes you can repair it. Take it to the prop shop for an evaluation.

Does the rudder have to be removed to replace the shaft? If so, the marina would have to pick up the boat to drop the rudder and you start running into more $$$. If not, replacing the shaft isn't too onerous.

The blisters mean a bottom job with peel and re-epoxy. That can be expensive. The person who posted above asked a good question; are the blisters at or close to the waterline? If so, it might have occurred because the boat might have floated below her lines and the PO raised the waterline. The side of the hull now wetted may not have been protected by an osmotic barrier. Maybe the "bottom job" can be confined to the strip of hull near the current stripe? Talk with an expert and get some prices / options.

How bad are the leaks in the engine? I assume you are referring to the transmission seal? Cost / necessity of repair?

This is a "buyers market" and the seller knows that these problems will impact any possible sales. I would get prices for repairs and attempt to renegotiate based on what they are. The surveyor had to come up with a value for the boat. How close is the value and the selling price? If the boat is in as good of a shape as you report, these items shouldn't be a deal breaker necessarily.

Morgan made a good, solid boat. The "bones" should be good. Good luck with your decision.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Don't rite a boat off because you can see blisters, many boats have been sold with a clean bum only to reveal a myriad of blisters on the next haul out. Better to know Now and be prepared than shocked later.
ctl411 likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 03-03-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

too many really nice boats at a good price to spend time with this one, unless the price reflects the repairs needed. The blisters will definitely be a show stopper when you go to sell this boat, fixed or not fixed - buyers will walk unless the whole hull has been peeled and repaired correctly.

YMMV
Old 03-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by datswite View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a 1981 Morgan 38. The survey was today. Overall, the boat is in above average condition with the following exceptions - and some blisters.

1. Bent blade on engine prop
2. Needs cutlass bearing
3. Needs prop shaft
4. Leaky seals on Perkins 4-108 (1440 hours)
4. BLISTERS

Here is my question. Should I walk away for blisters? Or, should I negotiate? The largest visible blister was no larger than a quarter and there were many (probably 50-75 - only on the starboard side).
..THAT'S ALL? No bulkhead rot?

Cute how you capitalized the word blisters The oil leaks, bent shaft and all would concern me more.

You don't say where the blisters are.. waterline? (common) or big bubbles pulling the glass and gelcoat off the hull.

If your not going to strip and barrier coat an older boat then buy a newer one. It's not must do, but it is a very worthwhile "upgrade"

Next questions would be; are you going to do the work yourself? If not look for a boat without those problems and about $15-30,000 Higher priced

Good luck!
4arch likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 03-03-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Blisters...!!!

It's not the end of the world... (or the end of the boat)

But it is a $10k job if you don't DIY...
Old 03-03-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

It would be worth trying to connect with other Morgan 38 owners to see if boats of the same make, model, and vintage have similar issues. Presumably the value would be less negatively impacted if yours was a blister boat among blister boats than if it's truly an outlier.
Old 03-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Prop shaft, cutlass bearing would be less than $800. Parts are only about $300, Propeller repair,,,depends. If you ahve the prop shaft done either spring for a PSY driples ( anouther $300), and if not have the stuffing box looked at and replace the rubber stern tube. All part of the labor of pulling a shaft. We had the above done with PSY installed and new coupler for about $1000 last summer.

Blisters are another issue.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner