SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Chesapeake Bay

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
I just recently moved here from Seattle and am looking for interesting places to sail to on the Chesapeake Bay. I am just getting my bearings, so I would appreciate all the help I can get.

What is your favorite spot to visit and why? Good restaurants....secret hideaways.....anything you can think of. I am hoping to make my first summer on the Chesapeake Bay memorable with your help.

Thanks so much!

#4 ·
Thanks for the info on the book. I''ll be sure and check it out.

I plan to sail all parts of the Chesapeake. I live in Virginia, but am interested in finding all those special spots people visit. I guess I could use trial and error and will probably find some great places, but I thought I would start here.

Thanks for your help!

#5 ·
Some of my favorite places less traveled are:
-Greys Inn Creek off of Chester River,
-Whitehall Creek off of Whitehall Bay,
-Trippe Creek off of the Tred Avon River off of the Choptank River,
-Any one of the creeks on the Little Choptank River, and
-Crab and Church Creeks off of the South River.

More widely visited places:
-St. Michaels on the Miles River,
-Oxford on the Tred Avon River,
-Langford and Corsica Creeks Off of the Chester River,
-Swan Creek and Rockhall,
-Worton Creek,
-Broad Creek off of the Choptank River,
-Tighlman Island on Knapps Narrows,
-Shaw Bay off of the Miles River.

The Bay literally has hundreds if not thousands of neat anchorages. The joy is in seeing them. These are but a few.

Jeff

#6 ·
I also carry a copy of ''The Cruising guide to the Chesapeake which lists many of not most of the interesting spots with a brief description of each.

There are a bunch of neat restaurants around the Bay, some world class, some with their own unique charm. There are losts of interesting little towns and back water marinas. If you draw less than 5''-6" or so there are all kinds of neat little villages that you can get back into. My current boat draws 6''-4 and so I need to exercise a lot more care in where choose I duck in than I did on my prior boat.

Jeff

#8 ·
Truth be known, I live on Martin''s Cove off of Mill Creek and the bow of my boat when it is in the slip at my house points right at the back side of the penninsula where Cantler''s is located and yet, as a vegetarian the place does nothing for me. On the other hand, my wife who eats fish and crabs says if you are into fresh crabs they are the best place to go around here, but they are extremely expensive. She says avoid their other shellfish and she thinks their crab cakes are not very good compared to other venues. She says the best places for crab cakes are Ramshead, and Yellowfin, and that the Crab Cake Factory is pretty good.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.