SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Boat Candidate options wanted (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/97364-boat-candidate-options-wanted.html)

davidpm 03-07-2013 08:20 PM

Boat Candidate options wanted

This is yet another which boat thread but with some very specific specifications.

What boats would you recommend for the following use with the given parameters.

East coast sailing for about one to three years including Bermuda and the islands.
Two people
Late model maybe 10 years old.
Standing head room
Two separate cabins with doors besides the main center space.
Shoal draft maybe 5 feet.
Ability to walk around the wheel without having to climb on the side seats.

Price 50k to 120k the age thing is negotiable but the admiral is pretty set on the other items.

But here is the kicker. I would love to have it as small as possible. The further under 40' the happier I would be.

zedboy 03-07-2013 08:24 PM

winner for jamming it in

Catalina 309?

Dunno what they go for used, but two cabins you won't find in less LOA...

JimMcGee 03-07-2013 09:31 PM

Re: winner for jamming it in

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedboy (Post 999737)
Catalina 309?

Dunno what they go for used, but two cabins you won't find in less LOA...

One of David's requirements is taking the boat to Bermuda. The 309 is designed as a coastal boat.

peoples1234 03-07-2013 09:35 PM

Re: winner for jamming it in

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 999759)
One of David's requirements is taking the boat to Bermuda. The 309 is designed as a coastal boat.

Which given a good weather window will make it to Bermuda just fine.

chef2sail 03-08-2013 12:16 AM

Re: Boat Candidate options wanted

10-13 Years old....$120000 pretty much limits it to a production boat like Catalkina, Hunter Bennetau or Bavaria.

zedboy 03-08-2013 12:25 AM

oops

Read Bahamas, my fault.

Personally would want to go to the big end of the displacement range given the price parameters, even Lake Ontario can get pretty unpleasant for boats around 30' or less.

Heck for that money you could buy well in the 42+ range and go anywhere.

JimMcGee 03-08-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 999815)
10-13 Years old....$120000 pretty much limits it to a production boat like Catalkina, Hunter Bennetau or Bavaria.

Chef, no disagreement but all of those companies make boats that are designed for blue water hops (I'm not trying to restart a blue water thread).

My Catalina 30 is a very solid coastal boat, but I would be hesitant to take her to Bermuda. The 309 is similar construction. Others may disagree.

davidpm 03-08-2013 01:18 AM

I love the idea of a larger boat. More room obviously. Especially for long term cruising.
I really like the feel of the 30+ foot boat however.
The anchors I can handle without power.
I can man-handle it at the dock if I have to.
The forces on the sails don't seem to be so enormous.
It may just be me but it seems as though the under 40' boats are just more fun and the 40 to 50 are so serious.
I have sailed on both quite a bit and the bigger size, I can't explain it, feels like work rather than fun.

Maybe 36 will be the perfect size. Don't have much experience in that size.
Deciding on the perfect compromise is an amazingly personal emotional process.
Bigger is more luxury in every way, speed, space, toys.
Smaller is more more fun (in my opinion, less maintenance, cheaper everything, probably more sailing.

sidney777 03-08-2013 01:38 AM

You could run into "hell and high water" with no where to hide while coming and going to Bermuda. But, of course do what is your adventure.. I bet you know what you are doing. Some Boats. Pacific seacraft(various), Gozzard, CSY, Sabre, Westerly, Dufour,
Etap non-sinkable, Hallberg Rassey, Henri Wauquiez, Hylas, Island Packet, Krogen, LORD NELSON, Morris, Moody, Najad, passport, Tartan, VANCOUVER, Van de stadt, Valiant.
Westsail, or maybe some designers that are recommended. Mahina,com LIST OF OFFSHORE SAILBOATS

aeventyr60 03-08-2013 04:35 AM

A little older, cult type, Robert Perry designed cruising machine would be a Valiant Esprit 37. Take you anywhere....