Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

you read my mind on the ranger, that's the one where they said they put enamel bottom paint on. I'll give him another call tomorrow and ask exactly what he meant. I could go check that one out. Port Townsend's a little far...so I want to nail down any questions I might have before I go up there.

I was reading a book at the bookstore that had short reviews on small sailboats and they had nothing but good to say about the Ranger 23.

Ok, so a no on the newport 27 in Tacoma. I want no red flags.

My short list is:
The Ranger 23
I've been trying to call and email the newport 27 in Bellingham but he hasnt answered or responded.

25' sailboat: Capri 25 named "SYZYGY"
I've talked to him, he's out of town this weekend, can show next week. I know it's more of a racer, but I like the way it looks, I read that the only boat in it's class faster is the j24. Has a good outboard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A Capri 25 is indeed more of a racer and will have the interior comforts that go with that.. pretty much none. It's a pretty boat and quick for its size, nice big cockpit and will make a terrific daysailer but not much of a weekender compared to say a Ranger 26 or a Catalina 25..

Contacts through craigslists are often problematic.. I'm not positive that all 'emails' get through to the seller.

Here's another candidate:

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-13-2013

I like that. I've heard really good things about the c&c. It's not hard to take down a mast and put it back and then launch is it? Tere have been a couple boats I've seen in Portland, but I thought maybe it wouldn't be worth the hassle?

I wouldn't know though. I'd really only have to do it once, but I'll have to do it alone...
Old 03-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Getting the mast up on a 25' boat will take 2 or 3 people (assuming the mast step has a tabernacle). 3 is safest the first time, once you've practiced you can probably do it with 2. 1 person is not enough.

You'll also need a large truck to trailer a boat like that.

It still could be a good option to consider. Price out what it would cost to have it delivered to a yard in Seattle (I'd try Canal) and for them to step the mast. I'm guessing in total this would cost you at least $1500, but if you can get a nice boat for $1500 less then it could work out.

I don't believe that is a 1992 boat, you'd want to check other details too.

You could also investigate going up by boat. That's open ocean though and I'd want to do a lot of research before attempting it. I have no experience sailing out there.
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Don't think taking a new-to-you C&C 25 down the Columbia and out around to Puget Sound is really an advisable plan - it's a tough trip for anyone, but esp in a small boat and a new owner.. so trucking will be the ticket.

The C&C is sitting on a trailer, but no mention of it being part of the deal. There is a lot of boat moving traffic between California and the PNW.. it shouldn't be too hard to get in on another move and utilize an 'empty' trip back, or room on a large boat mover's rig that would save you some money. Do some research and you'll find something. There will be some cost at each end, though, ideally you'll need some sort of lift/mast tower/crane/hiab to do the mast stepping. It's a good time to inspect/replace things up there too...
Alex W likes this.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 03-13-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

FWIW you mentioned wanting to go to the San Juans and Gulf Islands from Puget Sound and as someone who has done it with a small boat/outboard, I can tell you I feel much better in a larger boat/inboard--big water/straits out there and many times we were swamped by ferries/large freighters, even a Coastie who flew out to check us out only to bury our engine with his wake. I'd be patient and wait for the right combination of low cost/safe boat...
Old 03-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I disagree with Joy, having also done it in a smallish boat with an outboard.

A larger boat with an inboard is going to have a much more comfortable sea motion. There are places in the Salish Sea where you can find 4' waves, but with careful planning around currents and weather (easy if you have all summer for your adventure) that is rarely a concern. I like bigger boats, but you'll have to be very lucky to find a ~30' boat with an inboard that is in seaworthy condition for under $5000 in the next couple of months. Since you are on a tight budget (and I assume that includes covering any necessary immediate repairs) a smaller boat is going to be a lot simpler and easier to work on.

The smaller boat will also save you money every time you use overnight moorage, especially if you have a solar panel and don't have to use shore power. A 25' boat without shore power will save $10/night in most marinas in the Salish Sea compared to a 30' boat with shore power, and that adds up quickly if you are using docks 2-4 times per week. I also think that a 25' boat is the sweet spot between simplicity, easy single handing and docking in rough conditions, and being safe (perhaps not comfortable) in adverse conditions.

With the right outboard (25" prop shaft) a 25' boat won't swamp or caviatate the outboard frequently, even in 3' and 4' waves.
Old 03-13-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

Yes, the costs add up very quickly, especially in the Gulf Islands at marinas.

I agree, Alex, that with careful planning he should be ok. I wasn't sure from his original post how familiar he was with the water here--it's nothing to take lightly. But, seems the boats he's considering are a bit more stout than our former San Juan 24 (which was a delight, all things considered...).
Old 03-13-2013

I'm a little familiar. I went kayak camping for a month a couple summers ago, so I had to learn the tide charts and weather.

I also learned to sail in Hawai'i and have been out in 50 knots and 12 foot seas. Not regularly, but I have.

No way I'm sailing from Portland though. Maybe I'd consider it if it was the PERFECT boat and the heart of summer. But everything I've read is that getting across the Columbia river bar to the Pacific is the worst one the west coast. Then it's a lee shore with really bad weather and no harbours all the way up to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and I have heard that isn't always pleasant either.

I should buy a boat, in the water and ready in Puget Sound.
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I'm a little familiar. .....

I should buy a boat, in the water and ready in Puget Sound.
That would be easiest.. but you don't need to limit yourself to Puget Sound per se. The delivery from southern BC is not bad esp if you choose the right weather and tides, and Pt Roberts is another possible motherlode of sadly disused boats that may be available. Right now you'd have a slight Dollar value advantage buying in Canada.

I know of a nice Tanzer 26 (Sloop Du Jour) in Pt Roberts for sale, it's listed at near 10K but I'd suggest that any bonafide offer might be considered. It's at Steelaweigh.. They are a boat with a good reputation, will sail well and have a decent interior for it's size.
jrd22 likes this.