Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013

tap is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

There another Yankee 30 that does well in the Monday night races out of Shilshole. It's kind of on the heavy side for racing, but does well with its rating. $4k is a really good deal if there is nothing major wrong with it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013
Sailing Seas of Cheese

brianhess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I'm a little familiar. I went kayak camping for a month a couple summers ago, so I had to learn the tide charts and weather.

I also learned to sail in Hawai'i and have been out in 50 knots and 12 foot seas. Not regularly, but I have.

No way I'm sailing from Portland though. Maybe I'd consider it if it was the PERFECT boat and the heart of summer. But everything I've read is that getting across the Columbia river bar to the Pacific is the worst one the west coast. Then it's a lee shore with really bad weather and no harbours all the way up to the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and I have heard that isn't always pleasant either.

I should buy a boat, in the water and ready in Puget Sound.
Never underestimate the power of the convergence zone that is known as the Pacific Northwest. Take if from a sailor that was in 40 seas off the coast of Oregon on a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier trying to do sea trials, only to have the forward port side sponson cracked not once, but TWICE in two months in two storms!

Lots of shipyard workers and welders got overtime holiday pay at the Navy's expense.

And, in my own small sailboats I have experienced six foot waves in. . . . are your ready. . . . . Hood Canal! Small craft advisory in Puget Sound means what is says. . . .

But if you seasoned, you can hold your cookies!

Fare winds and Following Seas!

Brian
Old 03-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Thanks, if it's a small craft advisory, hopefully I won't be out, and I wish someone could erase Oregon from the map, so people could sail from Seattle to San Francisco.

That Yankee. I tried to get her to call me or give a phone number but she didn't respond and instead today is having an open house at 3-4 today. I'm not sure how god of an idea that is, to have what like 5-6 people come poke around and feel pressured into buying it?

That's not a classy way to sell a boat if you asked me, and like the post said, the engine probably won't start, and with a herd of bargain hunters how will I know if it's the battery or the entire thing is blown?
Old 03-24-2013
Sailing Seas of Cheese

brianhess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Thanks, if it's a small craft advisory, hopefully I won't be out, and I wish someone could erase Oregon from the map, so people could sail from Seattle to San Francisco.

That Yankee. I tried to get her to call me or give a phone number but she didn't respond and instead today is having an open house at 3-4 today. I'm not sure how god of an idea that is, to have what like 5-6 people come poke around and feel pressured into buying it?

That's not a classy way to sell a boat if you asked me, and like the post said, the engine probably won't start, and with a herd of bargain hunters how will I know if it's the battery or the entire thing is blown?
I tried finding that ad on Craigslist but found one in Gig harbor that was not $4k but much more, mor like 20K+

Did you have a link to the ad? I'm curious to see what she said if it is only $4K! Good luck! I hope you find your forever boat! LOL. . . but if you decide to sail here past Oregon, you might consider waiting until the end of May. The weather is much more agreeable then. Anytime between now and then is going to be a crap shoot.

Brian
Old 03-24-2013

1974 Yankee 30 Sailboat for Sale- Open House Sunday!

sounds like a weird story, but it could be a great deal.

I'm not sailing from Oregon, I don't even live in Oregon, I was just visiting family I hadn't seen in two years.

I'm interested in this, but the pictures are tiny.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/3692163335.html

He said on the phone it:
needs running rigging redone
needs woodwork

Has:
15hp single yanmar, raw water cooled, rebuilt late nineties
Alcohol stove, battery tender, no fridge, new tiller, lead keel, good sails, roller furling

Some elctrolysis on skeg, now many zincs

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 03-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Yeah, those Sun 27 photos are nearly useless. If you were keeping the boat long term then I'd avoid raw water diesel engines, but if you think it'll still be strong at the end of the summer then it's less of a concern. What's the status on bottom paint?

If the Yankee is no longer listed by the end of the day then it probably turned into a bidding war. If it is then it's probably a mess. Either way it doesn't sound like it'll be your boat. They are really fun boats to sail. Heavy, but with a big rig that balances out that weight.
Old 03-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For $4K you could do much worse than the Sun 27 barring unmentioned fatal issues. They are a decent sailing boat with a fair bit of space (quite a bit 'more boat' than a Catalina 27, for example). They have a reasonably good rep, were built by Spencer in Richmond BC, and IIRC it was a bit of a Monk/Perry collaboration.

I believe it has a molded keel/encapsulated lead ballast similar to the Ranger 29. Despite the poor pics it's worth a look... get them to email the actual pics to you, not just thumbnails.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-25-2013

The sun has one year old bottom. They don't know how to resize the pictures, I'm going to look at it in person.
Old 03-27-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

The Yankee 30 is still on CR, not that it means a whole lot. Of all the boats in your post so far it is by far the best if in sailable condition. I have a similar boat, they are very solid and safe. The basic boat is good enough that it might be worth a look despite the goofy situation. The motor not starting is a worry, but universals are good (mine has one) and it might be a simple problem with fuel or electrical issues. I have no personal knowledge of this boat. You can research both the Tartan 30 and S&S 30 to learn more aobut these boats.
Old 03-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There a bunch of Yankee 30s on CL right now (unusual for a not that common boat), but the $4000 one is gone.

northoceanbeach: Any updates? You've probably looked at a bunch of these now, and might even be sailing on one.