Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

I am unloading my car from the parkkng lot in Port Townsend onto the Ranger 23. Everybody was right. It was owned by someone born up here and they have been sailing their whole life. It looks better than the pictures.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 03-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Awesome! This is a great weekend to become a sailboat owner up here, the weather is perfect (sunny, warm, and nice wind). Have a great trip!
Old 03-30-2013

Thank you so much for the help, and pointing out things. I am going to go practice in the bay. It's sunny, 60, and 10 mph
Old 03-30-2013
always busy with sailing

Nice. I just got back from a Kingston. It was blowing about 14 knots on the sound.
Old 03-31-2013

Awesome. It was calmer here. Maybe like 5-10. Any recommendations for a good first overnighter or weekend trip this week? Somewhere to anchor? It looks like this side of Whitney is a continuous bluff. I was thinking mats mats for an overnight. I need to practice anchoring. I've never really done that. I've never slept on a boat away from a dock.

I have two Danforth anchors. One bigger on a roller on the front and a smaller one in a bucket under the cockpit. I have no dingy. That's too bad.
Old 03-31-2013

jeffzee is on a distinguished road

where are you sailing out of right now?
Old 03-31-2013
always busy with sailing

He is in Port Townsend. I'd suggest going south to Port Ludlow or Port Gamble, both are very close and have good anchoring conditions. You can save some time by motoring through the canal at the south end of Port Townsend Bay.

What is your anchor rode?

Anchoring is fun and you can just go out for a day sail and practice at lunch time too.

There is a big swap meet at Fisheries Supply in Seattle on April 13th. You have to get there extremely early (the sale starts around 5am and is all but done by 10am), but there are usually a number of dinghies and they are usually quite a bit cheaper than what I see them listed for on Craigslist. It also gives you a chance to check out many dinghies at once. Given normal nightly moorage rates around here a used dinghy will pay for itself fairly quickly.

I'd also recommend walking around the big marina at Port Townsend and looking at dinghy racks (if they have them installed per slip). In Shilshole (Seattle) it's easy to tell who might have dinghies for sale, they normally have them piled up on their dinghy rack. Since you'll likely be towing (and rowing) it all of the time I'd recommend looking for a small rigid one. They tow better than inflatables (with the major downside that they can swamp more easily) and row much better than an inflatable.
Old 03-31-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

WItha smaller boat, inexperience, I would go to Hadlock of ludlow frankly. Ludlow would be better than the 20+ south to Port madison! Ludlow has good anchoring, protected etc. probably a 3-6hr trip depending upon if sailing vs motoring, wind speed for sailing etc.

WM and a few others also have pure rowing inflatables for $2-400, that would probably be best for a smaller boat vs pulling/towing an 8' wood, or blown up motor style inflatable. get one of the bigger foot pumps, should have the boat blown up in less than 5 maybe 10 min. over the side, and in towards shore you go.

At ludlow, since you pay for your slip for the weekend, andit is reserved in yourname per say, you could use the slip, go out and practice anchoring, come back in and tie up, use the shore facilities, until you get a dinghy too.

I've alsonot had a lot of luck locally with danforths. a small plow style ifyou will, like the lewmar 5-7.5kg bruce knockoff with 10-20' of chain would allow me to sleep in your boat overnight better. As this style will reset better than a danforth of the tide changes etc. THere is a 9 lb fastset plow style at WM also. Not sure if PT has one is stock at the moment, but they get weekly replenishments, so you could get one at some point in time if wanting to work out of a local, walk to store vs driving into seattle etc.

Marty
Old 03-31-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

You might also check out longship marine in Port ludlow, they have new and used stuff on consignment. They also get weekly deliverys from fisheries and wm's wholesale sidel so if staying in PT, fulltime, going this route might be better than a drive into seattle also. Not sure if there is a consignment place in PT or not.

The fuel dock fellow at PT, also has accounts at Fisheries, may have one at WM/port supply (wholesale side of WM0, he too could order and get something up there from one or the other also. Again, if you do not want to make the trip to seattle etc. "The Chandlery at Winslow Wharf" also an independent, gets weekly drops from Fisheries and WM.

There is also 2nd wind in the freemont area of seattle, for used stuff too. There is also a place in Everett, but seattle for PT would be easier to get to, if port ludlow place does not have something.

Marty
Old 03-31-2013
always busy with sailing

You can check the Second Wave stock at secondwave.cc. They do negotiate if pricing seems high and they have a lot of stock, I recently got a Fortress FX-18 (which I'm using as my secondary anchor) price knocked down $25 just by asking.

There is also a used boat supply place in Poulsbo, another good place to try anchoring and a nice little town. It's much smaller than Second Wave, but still pretty nice.

You are correct that there isn't much along the Whidbey side. Sail down it and you'll see why. It is mostly cliffs right into the water.