Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

aloft55 is on a distinguished road
Choices

I have been looking around for a used boat. I would like to find a boat that is big enough to live aboard, yet possible to sail shorthanded. I want to use it on the Chesapeake Bay, and at some point take it down to Fl and the Caribbean. I have looked at Beneteau 393, Pearson 424, Catalina 42, Hunter 40. Any thoughts, recommendations out there?

Burt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Choices

Welcome to SailNet Burt.

What is your sailing experience? I ask because a 40 foot boat can be a lot of boat for a novice. And it will give us a starting point. How many people will live aboard? I know you mentioned sailing shorthanded but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the only one living on the boat.

I suggest that you spend some time lurking around the forum, especially in the Cruising and Liveaboard section, as that question has been asked a zillion times and you might find some answers to your questions (and discover questions that you didn't think to ask).

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Need more data.
Budget?
Experience level?
Liveaboard solo, couple or family?

Old 03-15-2013

aloft55 is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks for the nice welcome. I am not a novice but not that experienced either. I owned an O'Day 25 for several years, and completed coastal cruising courses on a Durfour 41 a couple years ago.
Only one person living aboard...and my "shorthanded" definition was 2 of us.
Price range below 100k.
Old 03-15-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Okay, I am Pearson fan (323). I have not sailed in those specific boats, but 30-odd foot equivalents of all of them. In general (assuming similar equipment/condition) the Pearson tends to be more heavily-built, arguably better/more solid finish. The Pearson is has a more seakindly motion (which is a polite way of saying slower!). They are really solid coastal cruisers.

The 424, like the 323, has an encapsulated keel, which I personally like (dry bilge, no keelbolts to worry about).

Beneteau, Catalina and Hunters are all very fine boats; I cannot be objective here, but will say that those three tend to have a more "modern" appearance, whereas the Pearson is slightly more "classic".

As I said, I can't pretend objectivity, and with apologies to owners of the other boats, after my Pearson they all seemed a bit...flimsy. I would go to the Pearson in a heartbeat.

But then, the realities of price, condition, location etc come it to play; I would say any one of those four are great manufacturers, so go with what makes your heart sing.

By the way, a 40 footer is a big boat. Plenty big enough for 2! Or even 4.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.