Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Comparing a P36-2/C36/C34

Just back from a weekend, had a closer outside look at the P36-2... and thought I'd pass on the following.. The cockpit is 'tighter' and less spacious that the Cats but more ergonomically shaped, and would probably be more comfortable on a long trip as long as you didn't have 6 on board, and it won't seat as many at happy hour raftups if that's part of your plan. She has a longer cabin trunk (one reason for the shorter cockpit) so may in fact feel more spacious below, but it's hard to beat the C36s interior plan, esp the second dinette when families are involved.

The other thing that popped out was the Pearson has a much nicer double spreader tapered spar as opposed to the Catalina's single spreader rig, and the P's rig looked about a foot or two taller than our son's standard rigged C36 that was moored nearby.

Aesthetically I did think the P's cabin house a bit angular but overall she looks a handsome boat. You probably should take that look for a full comparison.

And also Aesthetically, a post 89 Catalina will have the more modern ports and windows layout, a significant improvement over the original, and the MKIIs in both models add a much sleeker appearance and more beam aft for improvements in space below, stability, and cockpit layout/walkthrough. There's a definite cost factor in going to a MKII though...
kwaltersmi likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Thanks Faster! Your input is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
And also Aesthetically, a post 89 Catalina will have the more modern ports and windows layout, a significant improvement over the original, and the MKIIs in both models add a much sleeker appearance and more beam aft for improvements in space below, stability, and cockpit layout/walkthrough. There's a definite cost factor in going to a MKII though...
Far as I can tell, the newer more modern ports appeared on the 1987 C36's, while a small scoop transom appeared in 1991. The beam change and walk-through transom on the MKII is definitely an improvement, but as you say, the MKII is out of our budget.

Not sure what we will end up with, but I'm enjoying the process! My tastes tend towards salty double-enders, but most in our price range don't have the room we're looking for down below to accommodate 2 adults and 3 young children, so we're looking at a very wide range of sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 03-18-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Far as I can tell, the newer more modern ports appeared on the 1987 C36's, while a small scoop transom appeared in 1991. The beam change and walk-through on the MKII is definitely an improvement, but as you say, the MKII is out of our budget.
The C34s have always had that newer look, I wasn't sure when the C36 made the change, looks like it was '87. If they did it during the model year you may find '87 examples of each! Interestingly, the earliest few C34s had deck stepped rigs.. they moved back to keel stepped until the advent of the MkIIs.

The walkthrough will be worthwhile if you can find one, they are sometimes referred to as MK 1.5s

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-24-2013

svRafiki is on a distinguished road

Hey there Mr Walters
Are you still considering a P36-2? I'm the new proud owner of hull#30 and have a load of pictures and thoughts if they are still valuable for you?
Chris