Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: My Next and Hopefully Last Boat - Which One?

S2 hulls have encapsulated keels. The 30' and 36 ' models have a center or aft cockpit choice. Good performers, solid build, and the 36' may draw around 5' like the 30' does. Later hulls were made with Vinylester resin to avoid blisters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Irwin 37 CC or 38 CC (you can find them at sub 50k, but they will need elbow grease).

Nothing better out there to fit all your requirements.

I'm a little biased, but I admit it.
Old 03-18-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I know of one H37 that has been from seattle to mexico and back a couple of times with the original owner. That particular one is a bit beat up. BUT, the owner loves it.

I personally am not so sure an encapsulated keel would be my first choice.......I would prefer bolted on.

Reality is, from the standpoints of what you have mentioned, find one that meets your eyes! Otherwise, what works for me, may not work for you. While I will not argue the heritage of a Cheribuni H37, to me, it is not the prettiest thing on the market for the price you will pay! I can think of a few more boats I would prefer.

You might also look at a Jeanneau sunshine 36/38. Some of these came with CB's, so you have shoal draft when getting into a harbor, yet when off shore, you can drop the CB and have some draft to help you point etc. I would go this route before a true wing/shoal keel personally. I also believe Tartan has some 35-40' CB models, as does Beneteau in yrs past.

Marty
The price you pay????? These boats are one of the best bargains out there. They now sell for around $20000.
To the OP yes I've owned both the 5 and 4 foot draft boats they are bolt on keels.
Old 03-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
The price you pay????? These boats are one of the best bargains out there. They now sell for around $20000.
To the OP yes I've owned both the 5 and 4 foot draft boats they are bolt on keels.
Did you read the whole thing I said about the C H37? The ability of the boat is in the 2nd to none category. But I do not personally like the look of it etc. So it would not be on my short list! The one on my dock, yeah I could buy it for $20-30K, I would need to put that much minimum into it to make it offshore worthy! ie replace the original standing and running rigging, sails, cushions etc, as that owner has pretty much done maintenance at a reasonable level, but replace what needs to be replaced has not occurred. This $20K boat you are talking about, will be in the $75-100K range really fast and quick. It would be better to spend a bit more and get one with recent upgrades.

For the OP's wants and needs, I would look at a tartan 37, or the Jeanneau sun shine 36/38 I mentioned in the drop/centerboard models. I like the look of those two better than the Hunter.

I know of 2 that have these boats. I have not seen the 2nd. Frankly, both love the boats! So it would be a good boat model. Just does not fit me!

Marty
Old 03-18-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I know of 3 that just sold not asking bull prices. Boat one was a one owner clean east coast newer electronics new stainless ports but otherwise original sold under $20000. Boat two second owner new stainless ports nice great lakes boat sold $20000. Boat three great lakes boat all new sails 1 year or less old new holding/head system, autopilot, refrigerator sold $20000. Boats are selling for low prices buyers market. I had a Tayana 47 under contract for $90000 but didn't close after consulting with Bob P.
Old 03-18-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

The OP mentioned the O'day 40, which I've recently looked at myself and happen to like. However, the draft is 6'4", not less than 5'. Also, some (all?) O40's were built with balsa cored hulls, so be aware. This was a hull designed and licensed from Jeanneau (Sun Fizz 39) and built by O'Day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Did you read the whole thing I said about the C H37? The ability of the boat is in the 2nd to none category. But I do not personally like the look of it etc. So it would not be on my short list! The one on my dock, yeah I could buy it for $20-30K, I would need to put that much minimum into it to make it offshore worthy! ie replace the original standing and running rigging, sails, cushions etc, as that owner has pretty much done maintenance at a reasonable level, but replace what needs to be replaced has not occurred. This $20K boat you are talking about, will be in the $75-100K range really fast and quick. It would be better to spend a bit more and get one with recent upgrades.

For the OP's wants and needs, I would look at a tartan 37, or the Jeanneau sun shine 36/38 I mentioned in the drop/centerboard models. I like the look of those two better than the Hunter.

I know of 2 that have these boats. I have not seen the 2nd. Frankly, both love the boats! So it would be a good boat model. Just does not fit me!

Marty
I think what you say about maybe needing to put money in to standing and running rigging, sails, cushions, etc could apply to any boat of that vintage. If it is a 1980s boat and all of that stuff is original then it could need to be replaced whether it is a Hunter or a Sabre. That kind of stuff just wears out. The advantage to the H37C it seems is a solid foundation boat with many of the features I am looking for at a great price around 20-25k. That leaves a whole lot of room in the budget to do those projects. If I got a Beneteau for 45k and I need to do the same things, just as possible, then I am in much deeper. My goal is to figure out which model meets my requirements and hopefully has had much of that work done already to keep it up. I'm in no rush. From what I am seeing the models I have found are the best ones available to meet my budget and desired features.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29
Old 03-18-2013
SailAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
The OP mentioned the O'day 40, which I've recently looked at myself and happen to like. However, the draft is 6'4", not less than 5'. Also, some (all?) O40's were built with balsa cored hulls, so be aware. This was a hull designed and licensed from Jeanneau (Sun Fizz 39) and built by O'Day.
I think at least some of the Oday 40 have a shoal draft. I found one on YW in Oriental NC listed with a 4foot draft. Another one in MA has 6 foot. Most appear to have 6 foot draft. There is also a Oday 37 with a nice aft cabin that appear to mostly have a 5 foot draft. Another one for the list.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29
Old 03-18-2013
SailAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Irwin 37 CC or 38 CC (you can find them at sub 50k, but they will need elbow grease).

Nothing better out there to fit all your requirements.

I'm a little biased, but I admit it.
I have always liked the Irwin 37CC. I agree they do seem to meet all my needs and the price is right. Took a walk through one last year and liked the room inside and on deck. Do you consider it a solid and reliable boat? Good sailing characteristics?

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29
Old 03-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

HERE is some info on the Jeanneau version of the Oday 40. along with who recently took one around the world. Not to say this is better per say than the H37C.

As faster said above, the boat you choose needs to tug at your heart strings. Frankly, as I have tried to say about the H37C, it does not! It is a good boat for off shore work. It would not be my first choice.

Yes you can buy any of these boats for a song. I did that with my 85 Jeanneau that is about the size you have. I have proceeded to dump some 40-50K into it, redoing the interior, along with all of the sails etc. Have not done the standing rigging as of yet.....Most folks I know that buy older boats, it comes down to a how my $ vs cost did you spend? 3 or 4-1 is a pretty common figure. Spend 20 on the boat, you can figure 60-80K fixing it up to be like new if that is your goal! Some do it for less........

OR, as I should/could have done. bought a 3-5 yr old boat for about what I have into my boat. Then again, I would not have had those 3 yrs of weekend playing on the boat, when I could have been playing IN the boat sailing it, vs working on it! For what you could easily spend upgrading a H37C, you could buy one that needs very few $$ and take off next month, vs next year. This could also include an O'Day 39 or 40, the jeanneau Sun Fizz variants....or any other older boat you choose. Just make sure you like the look! along with it will do what you want it to do.

Marty