Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

The thing to consider when you hear opinions on cruising catamarans is how much experince the opinion giver has cruising on catamarans personally.
We have been doing it for 6 years and it was our first "real boat". She was a kind and forgiving teacher and a safe and sturdy cruiser. Cats make alot of sense for long term, family cruising like you plan to do.
Without going into a dissertation... considering your cruising goals and family size, take a look at a used St. Francis 44 cat. I don''t know your budget and such... but we just moved up from our dear PDQ36 (which we loved!) to a St. Francis 44 with the pending arrival of our first child in 4 weeks! They are strong, fast, sturdy, and incredibly roomy for a fmaily! We have been thrilled to find out that they are easy to handle too despite the big step up in size from the 36.
Do your homework, follow your heart, and I hope to see you out there!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2004

kimby is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Thankyou for your input. A cat was our 1st choice but we have heard so much about them now we are seconded guessing our choice. We thought the room would be good with the three kids. What kind of sailing do you do with your cat do you do alot of offshore. we wanted some that was stable. We will be sailing from Duncan bc to the carribean doing some island hopping to and were ever the wind takes us. our buget is about 160 thousand our alittle more we can go more if we have to. I donot see money being aproblem we are just trying to find out what kinds ouf sail bouts would be good. so we can plan a budget from now till we buy our dream boat. we will be getting something smaller to learn. Then we will buy our bigger boat. live on it take it out get the feel for it and when we are ready we will set sail.
Old 05-21-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

<em>(This post is not meant to insult, but to ask a sincere and valid question that needs to be considered if three children are to receive a decent education. Please save your outrage for the guy who advocates removing the swivel from his ground tackle.)</em>.

Kimby,

How are you going to correct your children''s home schooled papers, when you yourself rarely construct a sentence free of some spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical mistake?

Maybe your spouse would be the better qualified to take on the job of English teacher, and you can oversee your kids'' history, science, or math assignments. If nothing else, make sure you bring along a good speller and grammar book, and learn together. It could turn out to be quite rewarding.

Curiously,
Jeff C
Old 05-21-2004

SailVicEC is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Thanks for the advice Jeff and I didn''t feel like you were picking on me I was apologizing for not making it clear that I really didn''t know what I was talking about from experience and was just repeating what I had read.

You mentioned that some of the big crusing Cats have capsized and sunk in recent years, are you talking about the big racing cats or actual crusing cats? All the cat sales people keep emphasizing that there is no recorded case of a crusing cat in the 45-50ft range having capsized.

Do you know if there is a marine equivalent to the climbing accident review? I.e. a repository of all marine accidents? In climbing these are good to read as they provide a real insight in to what can go wrong and what to avoid in order to stay safe on the rock and in the mountains. In sailing I imagine it would provide an insight in to the types of boats that do well in a blow and those that don''t and what things to specifically check and reinforce before going off shore.

I think that in the end you are probably right, the only way to really know which one one prefers is to try both but I really thought from what I have read that the Cat had the edge in both capsize and sinking in extreme weather. Also the I was under the impression that he loads generated on a cat are substantially lower than those on a monhull becasue of the usually smaller sail area for boat length.
Old 05-21-2004

SailVicEC is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Hi JeffC: As one who is planning to HS I can say that if I wrote as poorly in my professional life as I do when I post to the odd message board I would not be in a position to afford a boat;-). You may be assuming too much with regard to Kimby''s abilities.
Old 05-21-2004

kimby is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

I didnot know we all had a teacher here.
Hafe the time I am in a hurry.
Don,t you worry my three kids will be just fine.
Thankyou for the insult, I am more then qualified. I do know one thing Jeff C you are good at insults.
Thankyou Kimby..........................
Old 05-22-2004

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Wow, Kimby, I think you should pretend you never read that little swipe. I have to say I actually earn my full time living (and a good living I should say) as a writer. But it''s CERTAINLY not reflected in random message board posts as I dash out little bits between real world work. PLEASE. I''d just as soon correct your spelling on a chat board as I would correct your grammar over the VHF radio.

Anyhow, I am only half awake at present, so this won''t go far... but I know that Lloyds of London has a large cash reward out for anyone that can give them a photo of a cruising catamaran flipped over. Nobody has collected on the prize yet. We PERSONALLY know of many cats who have hit underwater objects (reef, rock, something) and punched a hole in their bow or somewhere and were still able to get to port afloat to make the repair because of the watertight bulkheads many cats are built with. Holing a mono would have you on the bottom in about 90 seconds.
True, it''s more sail by numbers than by feel and heel, but you just learn a different set of senses. If you exercise good seasmanship and heed the weather, you will be just as safe in a cat as in any well built off shore vessel. As with all production boats there are bluewater cats and not so bluewater cats, and that''s a whole different discussion. But do your homework as it seems you already are, GET OUT ON SOME CATS, sail them yourself rather than listening to idiots like us, and decide what feels right for you. The important thing is to get out there and cruise and give your children an amazing experience.
We''ll see you out there and speak incorrectly to each other while we sip margaritas at anchor in 3 feet of water
Old 05-23-2004

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

Yeah, Even though I prefaced my post with a declaration of my intention, I pretty much knew that it would be ignored and that I''d take fire for asking a question based on a simple observation. I make an occasional error myself, but that was not my point. Have we become <em>that</em> thin-skinned?<P>Good luck and fair winds to you. I envy you; you will be out there sooner than I.

Jeff <b>C</b>
Old 05-24-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
help with lifes dream

It is not all that hard to find pictures of large cruising cats that have turned over. Heck my Dad has half a dozen of the cruising cat that capsized while at anchor in the Bahamas and whose mast hit my father''s boat. The pictures were used as evidence in the suit to recover for the damage to my father''s boat. Granted a rather large wind came through the anchorage.

Then there were some very dramatic pictures of the 50 footer that capsized off of South Africa that were circulating on the net last year or so. That one actually ended up sinking so you could barely see the leeward hull.

I don''t know where the info comes from but larger cats turtle or break up with fair regularity. There was one off the mouth of Delaware Bay not all that long ago.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2004

bob-m is on a distinguished road
help with lifes dream

kimby

I think it is wonderful that you and your husband plan/dream of tasking your kids on what will surely be an adventure of a life time. My wife and I cruised fulltime for 12 years and met many "families" doing the same.

I would like to stress several points that will help make your dream/plan a reality.

1- DO NOT take the advise of other dreamers. The reality of spending years cruising is far different from the dream. Listen to those that have been there.

2-The ONLY way to determine what type or size boat YOUR family will need is through experience. You will not get it from a book or from the advise of others. Example: If you have read any of the Sailnet archives, you will see that Jeff H is a wealth of information. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about yacht design and boat systems. BUT, after 12 years of cruising, my opinion of what makes a good cruising sailboat is totally different from Jeff''s. Neither one of us is right, nor are we wrong. EVERYONE uses their boat differently. What works for one family of 5 will not work for another family of 5. This doesn''t mean that you can''t learn from someone who is "living their dream", just keep in mind that it is THEIR dream. You MUST get experience on the water with your family to determine what works for you. After 12 years of cruising my wife and I still can not agree on what make the perfect boat for the 2 of us.

3-Understand that your view of what is best for your family will be constantly changing. The more experience you have, the more your views will evolve.

Good luck with your plans!!! They are possible!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.