SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Steel boats - things to watch for? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/97783-steel-boats-things-watch.html)

krisscross 03-22-2013 12:11 PM

Steel boats - things to watch for?

What are the things to consider when buying a steel hull boat? There is this sweet looking boat here: 1986 Custom Blue Water Cruiser Tahitiana Tahiti Ketch sailboat for sale in Maryland and it is made of steel, showing some indications of corrosion, at least on the deck. Sometimes I fear steel hulls (no maintenance experience with them) but they also have obvious advantages, such as strength.
What are your thoughts on steel boats in general, and this boat in particular?
Thank you all...

benesailor 03-22-2013 12:21 PM

Re: Steel boats - things to watch for?

Pretty obvious maintenance on that baby (hull). 10 gauge steel(.1345 in)? Is that right? That sounds thin.
Sorry; i'm not an authority on steel boats at all. I would venture to say your probably about the same. I do know to look for corrosion and to keep the maintenance up.

miatapaul 03-22-2013 12:26 PM

Well as Niel Young would say, rust never sleeps. The cockpit shows a lot of rust, and there appears to be a lot of patches on the hull. For me I would only consider a wood or steel boat if relatively newer, and I really had confidence in it's original construction, and maintenance. And I would reach out and find a surveyor very familiar with the construction methods.

You might want to take a look at this one. Look at the shots of the bilge, you could eat off of them! I normally would not consider a steel boat, but this one intrigues me.

1995 Tahitiana Tahitiana 32 sailboat for sale in New York

krisscross 03-22-2013 12:35 PM

I also found a relevant thread here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...eel-boats.html

Thanks for your input. I need to sober up... ;)

bljones 03-22-2013 12:35 PM

LOL @ "oregano" stove.

It's a boat that looks worn- It's got potential, but its priced at least $10K too high. On the other hand, the one that MP just posted looks to be good value.

krisscross 03-22-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miatapaul (Post 1006240)
You might want to take a look at this one. Look at the shots of the bilge, you could eat off of them! I normally would not consider a steel boat, but this one intrigues me.

1995 Tahitiana Tahitiana 32 sailboat for sale in New York

Yes, looks like a very solid boat with lots of equipment. But a fresh coat of paint makes everything yummy... ;)

krisscross 03-22-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1006238)
Pretty obvious maintenance on that baby (hull). 10 gauge steel(.1345 in)? Is that right? That sounds thin.

That is what I thought as well. And it looks like the hull has hit something on the starboard side, making a deep crease that was later painted over.

mad_machine 03-22-2013 12:50 PM

most steel hulled boats and ships wind up with dents. Steel only has a certain amount of elasticity before it gets perminently creased.. but just think what that hit would have done to a glass boat?

As for the patches, I had a car that looked like that. Looks like somebody has been doing maintance and after scraping/wirebrushing/sanding the rust away, primered and just painted that area.

Pictures do not say the whole story.. so I would have to poke around the rust a bit to see if it is just surface rust on the welds, or truely rust to worry about

krisscross 03-22-2013 12:57 PM

Good points, Mad... what do you think of the 10 gauge steel used on this boat? Not too thin?

bljones 03-22-2013 01:26 PM

Brent Swain, you around?