Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Bljones - yes be assured - that although this is number 2 - it will be the last. And of course once I get to the point of deciding that yes indeed this is a go, will let her know. Honestly I think she is probably happier as I was going to buy another Harley, so this is cheaper...and considering the drivers in Florida...safer! So no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

looking at the pictures, there is nothing that jumps out at me and says "run!" There is, however, lots of stuff that needs addressing sooner rather than later... and lots of stuff that tells me that somebody was serious about this boat at some time in the past, ie mast steps, lazy jacks and fancywork on the tiller. the ports don't show major signs of leakage which is a plus, but vinyl covered cushions are a minus to me- nothing makes a night at anchor more miserable than feeling two layers of skin rip off your legs every time you move while playing cards. but, that is dealable.
Get familair with your local umberyard, and learn the ways of the bursh and roller, grasshopper- you got some brightwork and woodwork in your future. It's cool, though. we're here to help.
Chrisandcate did a decent jonb on the woodwork on their Alberg, if he can do it, anyone can. hopefully he will park his avalon (likely in a handicapped space) and chime in withe his experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 03-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Chris-N-Cate (frequent posters here) spent a couple hours restoring an A30. They might be able to make some judgments from your pics.

When I started shopping for my first boat last year, I was very interested in an Alberg 30. Very, very interested. I think those are beautiful boats. Looking at your pictures, my first thought was, "Lots of minor cosmetic work to be done." My second thought was, "If the visible, decorative wood was allowed to degrade, what about the stuff I can't see?"

Keeping in mind that I don't know nuttin' about nuttin', my gut feeling is that this is a project boat that might be good for a low-ball offer...if you're interested in a project boat. Maybe show up with $4k in cash, that sort of thing.
Old 03-22-2013

Bljones - Yes lots and lots of bright work. And fortunately very familiar having worked on my fathers sailboat many years ago. Agreed the vinyl is on my list of "please god no". And yes as you point out the prior owner (not the current) did put in some good items you mentioned as well as some others I noted like the optional admiral panel, harken winches, new Bimini top, etc. Ill have to priortise the list of to dos but the brightwork will go a long way to lifting this boat out of a state of disuse.

Anyway will try get a list together prioritized into Critical prior to sailing ICW eg. battery checks, engine checks, etc, and prior to FL season items later once back home eg. Bright work, upholstery, etc, and then the last when time suits items
Old 03-22-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
The owner before the non-sailor had the engine put in. The non-sailor owner has done only very minor work to date. I posted some pics, I am familiar with auto engines, not marine. The engine (I posted some photos) is a little odd, I would have expected more of a new look. Plus it clearly looks like its been painted westerbeke red. The engine plate is visible and its a Mitsi block, but I believe that's just the partner with westerbeke....however marine engines I have zeo experience. .
Westerbeke simply "marinized" Mitsubishi engines. Many folks with Westerbekes buy any of the non-marinized parts they need from tractor supply houses as they then pay 1/3 the price they'd pay from Westerbeke. If you like the boat and the survey comes back ok you should consider paying a mechanic to go over then engine. The surveyor usually only gives a cursory examination of the engine...e.g., does it run, blow smoke, etc. You'll learn A LOT more from a mechanic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-23-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Are you and the boat both in Florida? Yachtworld currently has what appears to be a very nice A30 with a 6 year old diesel for $12k, in Maryland. Sorry if this is one of those irritating "helping you spend your money" posts, but if you consider the expected cost to bring her up to the condition you want her, maybe it's worth it to just pay it all up front.
Old 03-23-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

You asked about the ICW, where will you be starting your trip at?
Old 03-23-2013

Scratchee - yes would really appreciate some input from the A30 Chris-N-Cate folk. Perhaps I can message them - not sure how this forum works but will check it out.

True, it normally holds that if the visible is poor then you would expect that the underlying hidden to have issues.

In this case expect assuming the survey assessment holds (from a year ago) then there are a few areas requiring review as noted from the survey....see extract for the review of the Deck...."The deck and coach roof were examined for deficiencies, as were the stanchions and lifelines. They were then percussion sounded for delamination as well as measured for excessive moisture with a Skipper TRAMEX moisture meter. Overall, the decks were sound with no signs of soft spots, major cracks, crazing or other irregularities noted, with the following exceptions; at the bow, the area adjacent to the port anchor line hawse hole measured inflated moisture values. Additional inflated moisture values were noted adjacent to the waste pump out, the port water fill, and fuel fill deck plates, and the entire aft deck. The cause of the high moisture is attributable to moisture intrusion from failed bedding. However, this phenomenon has occurred over a period of forty - eight years, with no apparent effects to the integrity of the overall structure. Accordingly, consideration should be given to re- bedding all through deck penetrations associated with these areas at a future maintenance period. Thereafter, it is suggested that deck rigidity is constantly monitored, with any indication of significant flexing within the deck, a sign of the need for repair. All stanchions and lifelines were sound."

As for the Hull the survey noted the following which did not concern me...."The bottom was closely examined for any deficiencies that might affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. It .was then percussion sounded for delamination, observed for blistering. Neither blistering nor delamination was observed. However, several areas were noted in which the undercoat of bottom paint was sloughing off. This typically an indication of a failure in the adhesion of paint layers, usually a result of too many layers. Ultimately, all layers will have to be removed to the barrier coat, and a fresh coat of bottom paint applied. The interior of the hull was then observed, where accessible, for structural deficiencies. Bulkheads and frames were examined for delamination and inspected for decay or detached bonding. All were found in good order."

Overall this was not bad in my view considering the boat is a few years older than me. Of course assumption here is that winter has been kind for the past 12 months while the boat has been stored.
Old 03-23-2013

Jiminri - the surveyor went over the engine a year ago. Keep in mind its not been used at all since then and was winterized and dry stored. The surveyor said..."The engine beds were examined to insure the integrity had not been compromised. Both stringers were structurally sound. The engine was started and the head and block observed for unusual temperature variations, as measured by a hand held Ultra Violet remote pyrometer. All cylinders heated to within 5 degrees of one another. Thereafter, the vessel was propelled from the dock for a sea trial. After an adequate warming period the engine was briefly run at 3600 rpm for approximately five minute. Throughout the run, the water temperature did not exceed 175 degrees, and the oil pressure maintained 45 psi. The exhaust showed no signs of burning oil, excessive water vapor or fuel blow by. In addition, no signs of leaking oil, loose fuel fittings or worn gasketing were detected.. The engine is well mounted and no discernable vibration was detected at the various operating speeds. The reverse gear was engaged while docking the vessel with no apparent deficiencies. That said the throttle control cable was noted as mounted on the underside of control lever of the engine, thereby interfering with the shut down cable. The cable should be flipped to the top portion of the lever at the earliest convenience."

The item noted with the throttle control cable was addressed by the previous owner prior to the sale a year ago.
Old 03-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

If you can get up to $12K . . . lots and lots of boats open up including (if you hunt) some very well kept Cape Dory 27's and 28's that are Alberg designs with better finishes, newer systems and a hell of a lot less miles on them. Check the f/s section of the bulletin boards on capedory.org Many other models too. Your sweetie might really appreciate some nice finishes!

Some unexpectedly large money eaters not to be overlooked:
-roller furling
-running rigging
-dodger / bimini
-dink / motor
-self-tailing winches
-cushions
-ground tackle / windlasses
-self steering
-pumps . . . and on and on

Decent electronics are actually cheaper than ever and easier to install

Obviously the engine isn't new 145hrs ago. Ask for receipts to get a feel for the quality of the work done to it. The spray paint job looks pretty shoddy.

Just read your comments above about the deck moisture levels. That is the sort of stuff which would chase me off to a newer model for a couple grand more. I wouldn't even look back. Maybe if the readings are TOTALLY localized (so that you could remove the fittings and clear and refill the core from the penetration) but I don't know how you'd know that without further moisture readings -- and the "entire rear deck" comment seems to suggest otherwise (check the cockpit floor to -- another weak spot).

Last edited by blowinstink; 03-23-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: read more comments

Tags
alberg , alberg 30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.