Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
As for the Hull the survey noted the following which did not concern me...."The bottom was closely examined for any deficiencies that might affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. It .was then percussion sounded for delamination, observed for blistering. Neither blistering nor delamination was observed. However, several areas were noted in which the undercoat of bottom paint was sloughing off. This typically an indication of a failure in the adhesion of paint layers, usually a result of too many layers. Ultimately, all layers will have to be removed to the barrier coat, and a fresh coat of bottom paint applied.
I agree it is not a concern -- but put a price tag (and number of hours) on it. Not trying to be a wise ass or a pest -- just help you get your mind right
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road

Scratchee - have not pulled the trigger on purchase yet. The boat is in Chesapeake VA, I am in FL right now. I would be going up to look at it next week possibly.

However your right the 12k boat is a nice example. It's a 1971 and I can see that it looks as if nothing is required.

Also I saw above that a 1967 boat which was listed at $8,900 which appears to have had all the brightwork etc done and just requires assembly.

I think will have to revisit the options. My thought is that to compete I would need to pick up this boat for much less.

Thanks for the heads up. I have not seen such a wide variance in sale values in a model before.
Old 03-22-2013

Blowinstink - cheers, I know CD's are a great boat but for some reason they don't appeal to my aesthetic senses, but I think I have got to check one out to understand the high ratings.

Yes, something is not right with the history of that engine.

However I think that I will bring this A30 to a stop, as originally I was thinking the differential was much higher. But clearly its not, so will go back to plan A....squirrel away $12-15k and come up a few years. Ill go have a look at the CD's and get a hands on look, rather than the photos.

Hey I don't look good in photos either (and not that much better in real life thinking about it)
Old 03-22-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The boat is in Chesapeake VA, I am in FL right now. I would be going up to look at it next week possibly.
You could probably find something a lot closer if you took your time. Most stuff down here that's going for <$10k is gonna be listed on Craigslist or eBay, not through brokers, so if you keep an eye out there you are likely to find something good.
Old 03-22-2013

Shinook - yep thats what I think.

ALL - thanks for the comments Ill pass on this one. I think that coming up in budget is a better option, and taking on a newer and more modern boat. Your guidance as been very helpful, and I wish you all well
Old 03-23-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...so will go back to plan A....squirrel away $12-15k and come up a few years...
I like the idea of being ready, being patient, and pulling the trigger when everything falls into place.

Best of luck.
Old 03-23-2013

PS. Glad I had not discussed this with the wife...I would have got a lot of unneeded grief. However I dont recommend any of you follow my example. I got lucky and dodged the bullet.
Old 03-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Blowinstink - cheers, I know CD's are a great boat but for some reason they don't appeal to my aesthetic senses, but I think I have got to check one out to understand the high ratings.
You've gotta buy something you love. There is no shortage of old boat models to choose from . I like your idea of getting aboard a bunch of boats (that's where those dinners come in everytime you drag her on a road trip . . .) and scratchee's (?) idea of being prepared to buy when you see a bargain. Hell -- I'd go look at the A-30. You always learn something. The search is part of the fun.
Old 03-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

In this case expect assuming the survey assessment holds (from a year ago) then there are a few areas requiring review as noted from the survey....see extract for the review of the Deck...."The deck and coach roof were examined for deficiencies, as were the stanchions and lifelines. They were then percussion sounded for delamination as well as measured for excessive moisture with a Skipper TRAMEX moisture meter. Overall, the decks were sound with no signs of soft spots, major cracks, crazing or other irregularities noted, with the following exceptions; at the bow, the area adjacent to the port anchor line hawse hole measured inflated moisture values. Additional inflated moisture values were noted adjacent to the waste pump out, the port water fill, and fuel fill deck plates, and the entire aft deck. The cause of the high moisture is attributable to moisture intrusion from failed bedding. However, this phenomenon has occurred over a period of forty - eight years, with no apparent effects to the integrity of the overall structure. Accordingly, consideration should be given to re- bedding all through deck penetrations associated with these areas at a future maintenance period. Thereafter, it is suggested that deck rigidity is constantly monitored, with any indication of significant flexing within the deck, a sign of the need for repair. All stanchions and lifelines were sound."

As for the Hull the survey noted the following which did not concern me...."The bottom was closely examined for any deficiencies that might affect the seaworthiness of the vessel. It .was then percussion sounded for delamination, observed for blistering. Neither blistering nor delamination was observed. However, several areas were noted in which the undercoat of bottom paint was sloughing off. This typically an indication of a failure in the adhesion of paint layers, usually a result of too many layers. Ultimately, all layers will have to be removed to the barrier coat, and a fresh coat of bottom paint applied. The interior of the hull was then observed, where accessible, for structural deficiencies. Bulkheads and frames were examined for delamination and inspected for decay or detached bonding. All were found in good order."

Overall this was not bad in my view considering the boat is a few years older than me. Of course assumption here is that winter has been kind for the past 12 months while the boat has been stored.
Dude, you are starting to suffer from analysis paralysis. You have gotten so much input that you have defaulted to "I'll wait and save and hope a better boat comes along later."
With all due respect to other posters here, they have pointed you to boats 50% more expensive, that aren't 50% better, and are 100% beyond your budget.
yeah, this boat needs cosmetics, but the survey certainly didn't point to any deal breaking issues as noted above. any elevated moisture levels are localized and logical- through-hulls and ONE hawse hole.
That, my friend, is a pretty damn sound hull. The big indicatiors of big issues are soft spots around stanchion bases, lights, hatches and mast step.
this boat has none of that.
And has a low hours diesel.
at under $9k.I'm not sure how a boat with an odler engine, sight unseen at 12k more is a better deal, as has been asserted here.
Shiny brightwork should not be a deal maker, and flaking brightwork is not necessarily a dealBREAKER...as the survey has pointed out.
this boat is fundamentally solid, with some sanding refinishing and simple wood replacement- not big money, and not hugely time consuming, and, most importantly, not detrimental to the operation of the vessel. you can sand and varnish and rebuild hatches as you go and a) it is something every skipper shoudl know how to do, and b) it sure ain't worth thousands.

Look, you can wait forever for the perfect boat to come along, and frankly, until you have a boat under your belt , you won't know it when you see it. in the meantime, i bet this Alberg might be the right boat for you right now, and could very well prove to be the right boat for a very long time. if you truly aren't interested, lease pass on the contact info, because I know at least a half dozen sailors who would be all over a boat like this.

Time and tide waits for no man.
steve77, jameso and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
I agree it is not a concern -- but put a price tag (and number of hours) on it. Not trying to be a wise ass or a pest -- just help you get your mind right
whether you have to sand off one layer or three makes no difference in time and is something you should do anyway with a new-to-you boat. use a big scraper to get off the worst then a low-grit paper on a sander to get the rest.
And the boat is already on the hard, so no hauling fees. To scrape and paint the bottom of an Alberg 30, call it two-three days. most folks up here do it yearly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
alberg , alberg 30