Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

You make a good point about analysis paralysis, Brian. I'd just rather be a skeptic and waste a little bit of extra time looking as compared to falling too fast and spending a lot of time and money making up for it (instead of sailing). So many people seem to get caught in that trap. It is all a balance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road

I feel like a yo-yo.

I pulled out, the guy came back to $6k. I could sell the piece parts for that, so its a bit of a no brainer, despite the items discussed which again are not structural. Ill do the re-bedding, teak and tidy work myself. Ill look at the Paint this season or next. So it summary I made the deal and will be pay today.

Then I will be on a new thread...HOW TO FIX MY A30.
Old 03-23-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Alberg 30s are very well built boat, which sail well. They are extremely tiny inside for a 30 footer, with a huge amount of space wasted on the cockpit and lazarette, which was common in their era.
Old 03-23-2013

Brent - yes don't disagree that in comparison to many classic and modern boats they are definitely not as roomy. But in comparison to my old boats in NZ, its a palace...no peeing over the side. . I am easily pleased!

In my case, the boat will be predominately single handed. I don't see the wife having the same passion for the sea...passion for land, she's got!

But I am a minimalist and its not for a liveaboard for extended periods, so space below is about functionality.

Ill have the time and budget to make some changes as I was looking to spend $15k target, max $20k, (excluding the maintenance and storage costs) to get the boat to what I need.

With a purchase price of $6k, Ill have $9k for the parts, and those services I cannot perform with a $5k contingency. But at the end ill have a boat that I know ever inch, which is important to me.

Anyway will be fine for a re-start into sailing after so long and then after a few years can evaluate suitability.
Old 03-23-2013

Oh yeah....
Anyway...I have even seen one extreme example of an interior job where the Alberg 30 owner took out the head and basin compartment entirely, and extended the living area into that space. It's a beautiful job, refer - 1966 Alberg 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com.

However I personally would have spent those $$$ on a larger boat...and I can only assume it was geared for more of the lone sailor armed with a port-a-potty.

Not sure his wife will be happy with that choice...but I think its great!
Old 03-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Congrats Dude! There's no saving you now

Can't wait to see your pics as you start in on her!
Old 03-23-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
Oh yeah....
Anyway...I have even seen one extreme example of an interior job where the Alberg 30 owner took out the head and basin compartment entirely, and extended the living area into that space. It's a beautiful job, refer - 1966 Alberg 30 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com.

However I personally would have spent those $$$ on a larger boat...and I can only assume it was geared for more of the lone sailor armed with a port-a-potty.

Not sure his wife will be happy with that choice...but I think its great!
Looking at the pics, it looks like he moved the head compartment aft, to the port side of the companionway. Interesting idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2013

Smile Re: Alberg 30 - Yah or Nay!

Yes - on reflection that makes sense. That is a great idea. Not sure I am up for that challenge but the open area makes it look much larger. Actually with a composting toilet it's probably easier. Anyway will save the over ambition at this stage
Old 03-23-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
Yes - on reflection that makes sense. That is a great idea. Not sure I am up for that challenge but the open area makes it look much larger...
I saw some very scary pics recently where someone had gone for the same effect, but they simply cut very large cutouts from the existing bulkheads! I thought the same thing when you mentioned that other boat, but I see that the owner rebuilt the supporting structure. It appears to be well done.

Congratulations on the A30! I hope you stick around and provide updates.
Old 03-27-2013

Yes there are some nightmares out there, I think I avoided one on this boat, so still looking.

I had a buddy go check the boat out, and between the survey and then - so a period of about a year and half on the hard, there had been some significant delamination, soft spots around some of the fittings as were not re-bedded.

I also hunted down and spoke to the owner before last and there was also some significant accident damage to hull in 2001, and some concerns over engine, that was not new, but second hand so hours may be off.

So dropped out

Tags
alberg , alberg 30