SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/97823-beginner-macgregor-venture-25-lake-mi.html)

TuurboSpaggetti 03-23-2013 08:51 PM

Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?

jameswilson29 03-24-2013 07:26 AM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti (Post 1006871)
I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?

Sailing on the Great Lakes is equivalent to sailing in the ocean. Macgregors are designed to be coastal cruisers at best, so, sure, you can sail it in Lake Michigan just as any coastal cruiser can sail in the ocean.

Just keep an eye out on the weather and don't get caught out far from shore when a storm hits.

fallard 03-24-2013 10:02 AM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
And, if you've got one with a 50 hp outboard, don't count on running it wide open when the seas pick up.

FinallySailing 03-24-2013 03:29 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallard (Post 1007001)
And, if you've got one with a 50 hp outboard, don't count on running it wide open when the seas pick up.

Oh my, the Macgregor 25, just like the 26 D/C/S (whichever way you want to call it), are sailboats. Not hybrids. Not motorsailors. Actually the 25 was the one that in 2000 was inducted into the American Sailboat Hall of Fame. ;)

TuurboSpaggetti 03-24-2013 07:19 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
^what he said.

TuurboSpaggetti 03-26-2013 11:38 AM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Are there any major differences between the venture 25 and the macgregor 25? or just name? And does anyone have any experience with the mast raising system on a 1975 vintage Venture? Should I look into the newer system from the 26M? I've heard the install is pretty simple, and I see a lot of bridges in my future.

Also, anything specific to check for on these boats when inspecting them? I've thoroughly reviewed the boat purchase tips thread, but I'm wondering if there's anything especially troublesome about these boats that I should pay special attention to.

sailortjk1 03-26-2013 12:16 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Have a buddy that sailed his Venture 25 out of Michigan City.
He was very careful not to push it when things pipped up.
I sent him an email, he should be along to help out.

gedaggett 03-26-2013 12:27 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti (Post 1006871)
I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?

I just sold my Venture 22 last fall. I sailed her exclusively on Lake Michigan. The boat if well equipped and in good condition is a safe boat on Lake Michigan so long as you know the limits of the boat. I routinely sailed in 3 footers and had her out one day in 5-6 with an occasional larger wave. I was very cautious and stayed very close to the protected waters but the boat handled it. On days about 20knots I didn't go out and on days above 6 footers I didn't go out. The boat is fast in its class and I would often run circles around a local Chrysler 22. I had a 5hp outboard that in hind sight could have been another 2.5 bigger for pushing through waves at times but the boat is a good boat under sail. She acts like a boat much bigger than her price. Very good under Full main, I could reach 4knts in 12-15knts of wind with just the main. In heavy winds a small 90% jib will balance the boat and she will fly. I often over shot the theoretical Hull speed. I was single handed most of the time or with my kids which is harder than single. The boat was a great boat and did well in both light air and in heavier weather. JUST KNOW THE LIMITS AND DO GO OUT WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T.

Where will you be sailing out of?

gedaggett 03-26-2013 12:29 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Also mast raising is simple. I never used a system. I used a halyard and walked it up. I can show you how to do it. A system is fine just look on you tube for some samples.

gedaggett 03-26-2013 12:31 PM

Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti (Post 1008067)
Are there any major differences between the venture 25 and the macgregor 25? or just name? And does anyone have any experience with the mast raising system on a 1975 vintage Venture? Should I look into the newer system from the 26M? I've heard the install is pretty simple, and I see a lot of bridges in my future.

Also, anything specific to check for on these boats when inspecting them? I've thoroughly reviewed the boat purchase tips thread, but I'm wondering if there's anything especially troublesome about these boats that I should pay special attention to.

Inspect the keel bolt and cable. Also watch for deterioration in the cockpit sole from the inside especially around the drain. Make sure there are backing plates on the cleats.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012