Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013

TuurboSpaggetti is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti
Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI

I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beginner in a Macgregor-Venture 25 on Lake MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuurboSpaggetti View Post
I've read that these boats are light for their size, which is what attracts me to them (trailerabilty and size combo seems pretty hard to match) but is it too light to be sailed on Lake Michigan?
Sailing on the Great Lakes is equivalent to sailing in the ocean. Macgregors are designed to be coastal cruisers at best, so, sure, you can sail it in Lake Michigan just as any coastal cruiser can sail in the ocean.

Just keep an eye out on the weather and don't get caught out far from shore when a storm hits.
Old 03-24-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

And, if you've got one with a 50 hp outboard, don't count on running it wide open when the seas pick up.
Old 03-24-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
And, if you've got one with a 50 hp outboard, don't count on running it wide open when the seas pick up.
Oh my, the Macgregor 25, just like the 26 D/C/S (whichever way you want to call it), are sailboats. Not hybrids. Not motorsailors. Actually the 25 was the one that in 2000 was inducted into the American Sailboat Hall of Fame.
Old 03-24-2013

Send a message via ICQ to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via MSN to TuurboSpaggetti Send a message via Yahoo to TuurboSpaggetti

^what he said.
Old 03-26-2013

Are there any major differences between the venture 25 and the macgregor 25? or just name? And does anyone have any experience with the mast raising system on a 1975 vintage Venture? Should I look into the newer system from the 26M? I've heard the install is pretty simple, and I see a lot of bridges in my future.

Also, anything specific to check for on these boats when inspecting them? I've thoroughly reviewed the boat purchase tips thread, but I'm wondering if there's anything especially troublesome about these boats that I should pay special attention to.
Old 03-26-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

Have a buddy that sailed his Venture 25 out of Michigan City.
He was very careful not to push it when things pipped up.
I sent him an email, he should be along to help out.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-26-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just sold my Venture 22 last fall. I sailed her exclusively on Lake Michigan. The boat if well equipped and in good condition is a safe boat on Lake Michigan so long as you know the limits of the boat. I routinely sailed in 3 footers and had her out one day in 5-6 with an occasional larger wave. I was very cautious and stayed very close to the protected waters but the boat handled it. On days about 20knots I didn't go out and on days above 6 footers I didn't go out. The boat is fast in its class and I would often run circles around a local Chrysler 22. I had a 5hp outboard that in hind sight could have been another 2.5 bigger for pushing through waves at times but the boat is a good boat under sail. She acts like a boat much bigger than her price. Very good under Full main, I could reach 4knts in 12-15knts of wind with just the main. In heavy winds a small 90% jib will balance the boat and she will fly. I often over shot the theoretical Hull speed. I was single handed most of the time or with my kids which is harder than single. The boat was a great boat and did well in both light air and in heavier weather. JUST KNOW THE LIMITS AND DO GO OUT WHEN YOU SHOULDN'T.

Where will you be sailing out of?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 03-26-2013

Also mast raising is simple. I never used a system. I used a halyard and walked it up. I can show you how to do it. A system is fine just look on you tube for some samples.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 03-26-2013

Quote:
Are there any major differences between the venture 25 and the macgregor 25? or just name? And does anyone have any experience with the mast raising system on a 1975 vintage Venture? Should I look into the newer system from the 26M? I've heard the install is pretty simple, and I see a lot of bridges in my future.

Also, anything specific to check for on these boats when inspecting them? I've thoroughly reviewed the boat purchase tips thread, but I'm wondering if there's anything especially troublesome about these boats that I should pay special attention to.
Inspect the keel bolt and cable. Also watch for deterioration in the cockpit sole from the inside especially around the drain. Make sure there are backing plates on the cleats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.