Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
I found a data somewhere, I don't remember the source, it's on internet, some broker's firm research, that in 2011 average selling time was 11 months.
I just sold one boat and bought another and I think the average last year was similar but brokers seemed to feel that business was picking up.

My boat went in a month, for the price I listed it at, which was very reasonable to get a quick sale and the boat was obviously not rotting. Most if not all boats I looked at I felt were at minimum 20% over value, had been sat on the market a while, and had a sad air of neglect, a couple were downright depressing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road

What a resource this site is. I thank you all for your insight. My situation is I don't have a boat that needs to be sold, but rather disposed of. I'm in the market for a r/c 30-35' 1980-'90. Hopefully one that can be sailed home within 4 weekends or so. I have contacted 3 owners/brokers to find out if the listed boat is still available. All three are. My next step is to go see them, but work prevents me at this time. I hate being the guy who keeps calling but not showing up. I guess if it sells by the time I'm ready, it wasn't meant to be. Should I also assume that if a listing over 6 months is still active it is priced too high?
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 03-25-2013

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
My next step is to go see them, but work prevents me at this time...
If they are out of your immediate local area, you may find help in the Boat Buying Assistance thread on this site. Various people have volunteered to go take an initial look at a boat in their area, to recommend whether it's worth your while to travel.
Old 03-25-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Should I also assume that if a listing over 6 months is still active it is priced too high?
I think it's too broad a statement - if one drops the price low enough, any reasonably maintained boat will be bought. So we could extend the statement to say that any boat on the market longer than a week is priced too high. On the other hand, it could just mean that the right buyer hasn't found it yet for a variety of reasons not related to price. If a house is on the market for more than 6 months, is it priced too high? Not necessarily and there are a lot more home buyers than sailboat buyers.

As with home values, recent comp sales are the most reliable judge of current value.
Old 03-25-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

The average days on the market for a boat in 2012 was 298 days, that is the average. Some boats sell in one day others take years it all depends on market demand and proper pricing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

When I sold my last boat, the average was 2 years.
Old 03-25-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
As with home values, recent comp sales are the most reliable judge of current value.
If you can get your hands on this data (ask your broker) you'll be able to compare sale price with time on market and also estimate depreciation. Basic data doesn't give you boat condition but you can guess that from the sale price and speed of sale.

Last edited by theonecalledtom; 03-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

My experience has been that "market" averages are pretty meaningless. Getting an average time for reasonably similar market segment boats would be useful - how long do Huntabenelinas stay unsold for example.

If you just look at the market as a whole, individual boats vary so much, so many have a very small target market and so forth that general averaging isn't very meaningful.

Look at Brent's comment about 2 years for steel hardcore cruising boats - very limited market so you have to wait for the right person to come along.

Outdated racing boats also - you have to wait for just the right person - the "average" buyer is unlikely to be interested.

I also think the overall average would be pretty heavily affected by unrealistic vendors trying to sell near project boats for bristol prices. When I do an average of asking prices for a particular boat I'm looking at, I throw out the top & bottom prices before calculating the average. That tends to eliminate the dreamers and the real trash.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

BoatUS and NADA both have pricing data available, for free. NADA is great, because you don't have to interact with them. BoatUS's information may be more accurate, but you have to give them information (including your contact info) before they will send you the pricing.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
BoatUS and NADA both have pricing data available, for free. NADA is great, because you don't have to interact with them. BoatUS's information may be more accurate, but you have to give them information (including your contact info) before they will send you the pricing.
I have found that NADA values seem low, now if that is a more realistic value, or is it what the insurance companies want to pay out if there is a claim? I am not sure, but many boats I look at I take the printout and they mostly say the same thing, that number is way off. I walk, and the boat is still on the market.