Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

Paul,
I heard the same thing from would-be sellers, and walked away too. Many private sellers don't have a rational basis for the price they use. Instead, it is based on emotional issues associated with the boat. They look at what a friends boat sold for 10 years ago, or what they paid for the Boat or the accessories on the boat, or what friends tell them their boat should be worth, but they don't use resources like NADA or BoatUS. Unfortunately, as with any realestate transaction, the price is what a willing buyer will pay. Either you set the price high and hope for that willing buyer who will pay that price, or you set the price at a more reasonable price and attract more buyers.

In the end, despite the protestations of sellers, the NADA and BoatUS numbers seem to be pretty accurate. I believe BoatUS actually gets their numbers from the insurance policies that they write and comes from the buyers as to what they paid for the boat. I think that puts BoatUS in the best position to be able to judge the market.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 03-26-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Fixing Siri-induced issues
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

This is a case where "average" is a meaningless number. If one foot is in a bucket of ice, and the other is in a bucket of boiling water, on "average" you are very comfortable.

Here in Florida, at least, there are boats that sell in weeks, and there are boats that have been on the market for years and years. It really depends on how realistically they are priced, and the fact is that a whole lot of sellers are unrealistic about what their boat is worth. Watch the market for a while, go out and actually look at a number of boats (because the photos in ads can be completely misleading), and pretty soon you will get an idea of what a realistic range is for the kind of boat that you want.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 03-26-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Someone somewhere like at BUC probably has firm numbers for that. Personally, I've always said that if something is being properly/adequately marketed, and the price is realistic for the markets, it will be gone in 90 days or less. Six months, tops.

Granted, a lot of folks want to buy in the spring rather than in the winter, but still if the price is right and the boat is being put out there...if it has been around for a full year, someone's not playing with a full deck.
just a datapoint:

There is a Pearson 36-2 that has been listed in Yachtworld (with several different brokers and price reductions) since 2006! It's still listed, as of today!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 03-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Since 2006?
"Honey, I'm trying to sell the boat, honest I am."
"Hello, Guinness? I'd like to apply for the world record for longest running boat ad."

Or sometimes, apparently the broker forgets to take a listing down and it stays there like an abandoned fishing trap?

No wait, that's one of those fake ads placed by terrorists, or spies, so they can send emails back and forth without being obvious about it, right?

Or, an estate sale, where the court-appointed administrator keeps himself appointed and paid every year by saying "Well, we're trying to get full value for the assets but that boat just won't sell."

A seven year listing, there's got to be a story behind it. Is that the one in Groton, or Winthrop Harbor? If you believe the listings, they're both gorgeous. And flawless.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Easy story, the boat was overpriced in 06 the dumbass broker kept telling him it takes time. Then the economy takes a dive and they reduce the price. Then the boat market falls more and it's still over priced. Still for sale because the price drop has not caught up with the market drop. The market is bad check out the Kaufman 46 in Michigan $39000 and no Body is interested. No interest in that boat just a example.
Old 03-26-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Easy story continued, I'm a dumbass broker, client walks in and insists his 1979 Catalina 30 is worth 30K because he upgraded the bottom paint 20 years ago, wont listen to reason so I list it, 4 years later he has spread the news that I'm the worst broker in town. I sell properly priced boats in 2-6 months, on the same note I have boats I haven't shown in years. When a client walks in I ask if they want to sell their boat or hang a pretty picture on my wall. Its all so easy. FYI Boats are selling our last listed boat went into contract in 1 day.

Old 03-26-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

ctl, you and I both know you can't compare a Kaufman46 to a Pearson anything in terms of market and sales.

The Pearsons, all of them, are well-known, popular, in demand all over the country. The Kaufman? What, some oddball name semi-custom racer that no one has ever heard of? Old racers aren't competitive with new ones, so yeah, there's no resale market for them to racers. And usually they don't convert well to cruising. That Kaufman is also going to be a problem to transport, as it is wide enough to require wide-load permits if it goes by truck. With two mini-cockpits, you can't entertain and the six or eight foot wide steering wheel isn't going to make that any easier. The six feet wasted in the radical reverse transom also means the boat is really a 40'er with two tiny cockpits, there goes there cruising market entirely. And unless she has a wall full of trophies and a racing record to go with them? Right, no resale value in an old oddball racer at all. At the right price, in the right condition, she'd be a pretty toy for someone but that's still got ODDBALL written all over it.

The Kaufman? An oddball that has to be pushed. The Pearson? There are people out there every day looking for them. Big difference.

Which is not to say the Kaufman isn't a pretty boat, just that it is NOT a commodity-grade one, in any usual way.

Last edited by hellosailor; 03-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2013

Didn't say all brokers I have friends in the field. And yes your story is probably the more common one. Sorry if you took it as all. Yes boats priced right are selling .Stevens 47 list $89000 sold $60000.
Old 03-26-2013

Google Kaufman not really a unknown. But yes it is a narrow market boat. The draft is killing it here.
Old 03-26-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

OK - I'll share some more of what I know, but not everything. I don't want to embarrass the seller, or the broker (any more than I have). It is neither of the boats that you mention (but you're close).

From what I understand, the owner received an unsolicited offer from a buyer in 2005. The offer was too good to walk away from, and the owner agreed to the asking price. The boat was hauled for a survey, and something happened to kill the deal.

When I first learned of this particular boat, in 2007, the price was roughly 170% of comparable boats, and it had been listed with a broker for almost 9 months (at least as far as I could tell - the trick is; when you see a boat listed in Yachtworld, click the "Print This Boat" link, and it will show you when the boat was listed AT THE CURRENT PRICE). Because I really wanted a Pearson 36-2 I followed this boat until I bought my O'day 35 in 2010.

Over the years I have watched as other boats have sold, or dropped in price. While this boat has also dropped in price it has never been at the low end of the price spectrum (or even the middle) for this model. I believe that the buyer priced it too high to begin with, and thereby scared away all of the potential buyers when he first listed it. Since then, they have been chasing the bottom of the market.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.