Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013

jppp is on a distinguished road
Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

Whadda ya think the average number of months a boat for sale sits as a listing before someone comes with cash? I'm looking for the next boat and have ID'd a few to look at prior to a survey. Wondering if time is on my side because I have so little of it. Don't get me wrong, once I own the boat it will be minutes from home and I can get plenty of sailing in.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Average number of months for a sailboat to sell

properly priced, decent boat, 2-4 months or less....most boats listed today.....6 months to never....

best of luck.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 03-24-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the make/model. A C&C at 15k may go a lot quicker than a Passport at 385k.
If you have a boat in mind; go to sailboat listing and check when the sailboat was originally listed. This will give you a basic idea of the average length.
Please keep in mind the best deals will be snapped up. I recently was eyeballing a Catalina 22 with newer sails. I thought it was a good deal at $2500. It was; it sold in 2 months. Yet there are boats out there for well over a year.
Old 03-24-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

I think a lot of it has to do with not only type of boat it is, but how the ad is written. I listed my Catalina 22 on a morning at 8:00 and had cash in hand at 4:00 that afternoon. I listed everything, good, bad and in between so there would be no surprises when looked at. I read ads then went and looked at boats and thought "this isn't even close to what the ad says" long story short most are still for sale, right now there is Hunter 25 and a J 24 being sold locally that the guy has been listing for over a year at the same price and he absolutely wont negotiate on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison

Last edited by CatMan22; 03-24-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

You have an interesting dilemma. If you fall in love with a new boat, you're liable to take a bad offer on your old one. The pressure to sell could be especially intense if you put money on the new one before the old one is sold.

As my very wise wife once said, "It's easy to spend money." As one who's been in your position, I recommend stopping all searches until you've made a clean sale. Get the cash in hand and then look for a new boat. As my very wise mother told me "There is always another bargain". The women in my life are very wise.

Without the pressure to sell, without self-induced deadlines you are free to concentrate on the financials. Only after selling our last boat did we begin a new search. It was very liberating to have a pocket full of cash, free to spend wherever I chose. It gave the broker quite an incentive as well.
Old 03-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Someone somewhere like at BUC probably has firm numbers for that. Personally, I've always said that if something is being properly/adequately marketed, and the price is realistic for the markets, it will be gone in 90 days or less. Six months, tops.

Granted, a lot of folks want to buy in the spring rather than in the winter, but still if the price is right and the boat is being put out there...if it has been around for a full year, someone's not playing with a full deck.
Old 03-25-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Whadda ya think the average number of months a boat for sale sits as a listing before someone comes with cash? I'm looking for the next boat and have ID'd a few to look at prior to a survey. Wondering if time is on my side because I have so little of it. Don't get me wrong, once I own the boat it will be minutes from home and I can get plenty of sailing in.
What is the market like in your area? Are you seeing many boats on the market after the destruction of Trop. Storm Sandy?

Here in the mid-Atlantic, it still appears to be a buyer's market, with supply greater than demand. I browse Yachtworld occasionally for fun. Many sellers refuse to accept the new market reality, or perhaps can't afford to sell with the secured debt on their boat, so their boats are listed seemingly for years without selling. There are some great bargains out there.
Old 03-25-2013

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

I found a data somewhere, I don't remember the source, it's on internet, some broker's firm research, that in 2011 average selling time was 11 months.
Old 03-25-2013

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I've been watching the market for a couple years seriously I always watch a little. Their are boats on the market 3-4 years. One I negotiated on is down 30000 but still over market price and I have moved on to bigger better boats so no longer interested. Its a buyers market anyone who says it isn't is a broker (only some are clinging to this) or a boat owner. I sold mine last year kept dropping price until I found the true market. I had a 91 Tayana 47 under contract for $90000 this winter. We decided not to go through on it after consulting with Bob P. This boat sold within a few months because it was a decent buy. If priced right boats are selling but at CURRENT value not old overinflated prices. And more boat go on our list about every 2-3 weeks. No end in sight to supply. If you get a offer and CAN take it you should. I get calls from broker/owners wanting to sell at my offer price but we have moved on and no longer want those boats. Some of these were comprising boats because we would have been two boat owners. Now we are buying in a higher range.
Old 03-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

James,
Down in the Richmond area, it's more of a buyer's market (that's why I went to Deltaville to get my boat), but up in the NJ/NY area, there's a lot of movement due to Sandy. When I was watching the NY/NJ market more actively, I saw nice boats that were priced appropriately for the market that were snapped up in no time. In 2010/2011, when I was looking for my first boat, I would agree with you, the market was very soft, and boats would regularly sit for at least a year. Even back in September/October of 2012 it wasn't that way around here. But now the better boats get picket up quickly (I had 2 of them that were either sold before I could get out to them, or where another person offered more).

To the OP, I don't think I'd play too many games, unless you're OK missing out on the boat (my budget was low enough that I HAD to be OK with this idea). The story I'm told, and my experience, is that good boats in the 28'+ range are getting picked up quickly. I'm not sure what size you're looking for, but if you find a good boat that you like, offer a fair price, or have a good, rational basis for the price you're offering, and if the seller isn't interested, be prepared to walk away. You can always take the "I know this is low, so I'll keep the offer open for 2-3 weeks, or until I find another boat" approach, too.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.