Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2004

mbieweng is on a distinguished road
Opinions on moving a boat around Lake Michigan

Hi -

I live in the Chicago area and am considering the purchase of a boat (an Endeavour 32) that''s currently located in far northern Michigan.

I''m looking for opinions on how to best get the boat to it''s new home in Chicago. Of course, "sail it" comes to mind first. However, I''m somewhat reluctant to do that because of scheduling issues, family circumstances and, most importantly, limited (though not zero) experience. This is our first "big" boat purchase.

Other options include hiring a delivery captain, trucking it, or some sort of sail it myself bit-by-bit scheme.

Are there any other possibilties I should consider? Cost is a key consideration, as is safety.

Does anyone have any opinions, ideas, or suggestions on any of the above options or on others that I''m not thinking of?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

It is your lucky day Mike. I would be willing to help transport this vessel to its new homeport in Chicago. I currently own a 34-foot sloop (kept in Waukegan) and hold a USCG 50-ton Masters License with auxiliary sail and towing endorsements. You mention cost as a consideration, the best never comes cheap, besides by paying me you save the costs of rigging and overland transportation. Regardless what any transporter tells you, trucking a boat, even short distances is harder on it than sailing it in the worst conditions.
Old 05-20-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Oh one more thing, as anyone on this bulletin board will testify to, I’m a very nice guy, lots of fun! Sure wish it was a Catalina or Beneteau or Hunter you were buying, we’d have a lot more fun! Do you know of any single women that would like to make the trip?
Old 05-20-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, SailorMitch...whadya think...should we speak up or just keep our mouths shut...LOL

kokopuff
Old 05-21-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road

If Denr goes I will volunteer as an emissary of this board, just so I can report back.

Walt ----- Northern Lower Mi.
Old 05-25-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Walt....have you noticed that the original poster is like those illusive "Weapon of Mass Destruction" ....nowhere to be found!
Old 05-25-2004

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I have sailed LM for 25 years and hit virtually every port. I would be happy to deliver the boat for you if the time frame fit. I am not a CG captain. I would, depending on dates, be happy to include you on passages. My boat is an Irwin 32, which is built on the same mold as the Endeavor 32. I would like some financial compensation, but i would be cheap as I like to cruise the Lake.

I would also encourage you to move the boat on your own. You don''t say where in Northern Michigan.

I sail out of Racine, Wi and would be willing to bring the boat there for you. I could find you cheap dockage and you could come up and do the trip to Chicago on your own (10 hours). Lots of possibilities if you are interested.
Old 05-25-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road

Hi Denr

You are right, he has not been sticking with us here, but i would guess Mike will be back when he knows for sure what he is doing about the boat. He has been on the Lake Michigan list a bit more, but also he has had more response there than he has here.

In the beginning on the Lake Michigan list, I suggested that the boat was most likely at one of the Irish Yards, and if he told us which one I would go over and have a look at her. Then I got to thinking, he had said the boat is at the Northren end of Michigan. I put up another post and said if she was at Sheplers up at Mackinaw City, I would commit to getting her to Lake Charlevoix.

He did come back with more about his options for getting the boat down your way, and said the boat is at Sheplers. He thanked the group in-mass for all the input, but did not acknowledge my offer, just as he has not recognized your efforts here.

In his last post on the Lake Michigan list, he asked about surveyors up this way. So I would guess he has decided to buy the boat.

Walt
Old 05-26-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

As probably the only person on this list who has sailed with Denr (what a great 5 days we had on Michi Gami last year!), I can report that he is, in fact, a nice guy, and one heckuva sailor. But I also know he has a certain reputation he wants to maintain on this list, so I won''t say more.

Kokopuff -- I was out of town last week when your post hit the board so I missed it at the time. Please excuse my oversight. As you can tell, I decided to offer some comments on Denr the man and sailor for the benefit of others on here. Otherwise, yes, I will keep my mouth shut.

But should Denr land (so to speak) this delivery job, would Sofi be available for companionship on the trip?
Old 05-26-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sofi thinks that she will be the captain!
LOL

Still enjoying the new boat? I''m headed North for some much needed sailing over the holiday weekend...then back home for a long weekend at Oriental sailing.

Happy safe sailing to all over the Memorial Day weekend!

Bobbi alias Kokopuff

s/v Kokopelli