Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

Ok I agree Mexico may offer some boats though fewer numbers. Likewise Panama for those who toss it in. Try this one Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)
The Baba 30 seems a good boat with the cutaway keel although not quite what you are looking for. It might be a bit slower but not as squirrelly downwind as more modern designs which suits long downwind singlehanded passages.
I don't understand your route if Hawaii is Hi.
The Northern hurricane season is May - October with September the worst.
If you leave in May that would be very late. You also have headwinds after the equator heading to Oceania and need to reach Australia or NZ by November.
Normally you would pick one hemisphere or another and run through the South Pacific then up to Japan by June That would be 12 months. My point is if you do Australia NZ and the islands you then sit out up to ten months broadly, to cross back into the NH by Nov/December. A NZ summer is not bad but it depends if you want to spend 22 months or so on the trip.
There are variations but you might want to look at World Cruising Routes by Cornell for detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

I've lived and sailed in the Okinawan chain for 16 years. The generic information you read isn't specific enough, and it depends on your route. I wrote that July-Sept. is considered typhoon season. October typhoons are infrequent. If you are passage making by island hopping through the Okinawan chain from Taiwan, it's a different story than a non-stop bluewater passage, you are not offshore for weeks at a time, and can linger as needed at an island port (fees are quite reasonable). I speak the language and the fishing-boat ports are protected. October seems possible, depending on use of all the available weather technology. May is not typhoon season, we frequently sail in May. June is the monsoon, and not a time for bluewater passage (not considered a typhoon month, here). the caveat is that in a given year, the monsoon can arrive earlier, later, or almost not at all.

My thought was to find safe moorage in the south by sometime in June, then continue from October or later. We sail in the winter, Jan/Feb., not fun but nothing like a New England winter, where I'm originally from. Water's warm, breeze is often fresh.

Part of my plan involves upwind passage making, so performance in this regard is a real consideration. A decent sea berth, no flat bilges I haven't gotten to mapping precise waypoints and timings, I am three years out. I don't own the Cornell book yet, it's on my list. thanks for mentioning it and Panama. (I'd prefer shorthanded to solo.) There are some wonderful hot springs where I live, and the shochu and nihonshu are divine, not to mention the tofu. About last north in the Okinawan chain is Yakushima, it's a world heritage site -- the entire island. Worth a visit! Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Ok I agree Mexico may offer some boats though fewer numbers. Likewise Panama for those who toss it in. Try this one Mazatlan Marine Center SA De CV (Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico)
The Baba 30 seems a good boat with the cutaway keel although not quite what you are looking for. It might be a bit slower but not as squirrelly downwind as more modern designs which suits long downwind singlehanded passages.
I don't understand your route if Hawaii is Hi.
The Northern hurricane season is May - October with September the worst.
If you leave in May that would be very late. You also have headwinds after the equator heading to Oceania and need to reach Australia or NZ by November.
Normally you would pick one hemisphere or another and run through the South Pacific then up to Japan by June That would be 12 months. My point is if you do Australia NZ and the islands you then sit out up to ten months broadly, to cross back into the NH by Nov/December. A NZ summer is not bad but it depends if you want to spend 22 months or so on the trip.
There are variations but you might want to look at World Cruising Routes by Cornell for detail.
Old 03-30-2013

Thanks again Carolyn and everyone, for your thoughts and recommendations, which are very helpful, as I contemplate future steps. I may be more flush (or +loan capable) when the time comes to purchase . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynShearlock View Post
Feel free to PM me, MazMarine has brokers in three cities -- we worked with the ones in LaPaz (Mike and Shelly are friends as well) but have heard good things about their affiliates in other cities too. They sold our boat.

We bought that boat in 2002 from Nick at what is now Vallarta Yachts (located in Puerto Vallarta) and we were very pleased in working with him.

There are some other brokers on the Pacific side of Mexico and I don't mean to imply anything against any of them by not including them here -- just that I don't have any knowledge of them.

If you tell the broker what you intend to do and your budget, I think they'll be able to help you find a boat and will tell you honestly the pros and cons of the various ones. They are also very in-tune with the local workers, yards and so on for any work that you decide to have done. There are plenty of good surveyors in Mexico, too, to help you assess a particular boat.
Old 03-30-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am curious about the 5ft draft parameter.

Where do you foresee this being an issue?
Old 03-30-2013

In the case of possible Pacific island gunkholing; and in the area I live there are any number of small uninhabited islands (nice for camping) and archipelagos with strong tidal surges. A 5' draft isn't mandatory, though it seems a plus. On the other hand not a deal-breaker, if I found a deal on a boat with deeper draft. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I am curious about the 5ft draft parameter.

Where do you foresee this being an issue?
Old 03-30-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
Thanks again Carolyn and everyone, for your thoughts and recommendations, which are very helpful, as I contemplate future steps. I may be more flush (or +loan capable) when the time comes to purchase . . .
Just be aware that if you finance a boat, you will be required to insure it which is expensive and the insurance companies may have requirements that include the number of crew required, etc..
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-30-2013

I take your point. In my situation, partial financing won't require involve the need for specific "boat financing," so the insurance issue won't be a sticking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Just be aware that if you finance a boat, you will be required to insure it which is expensive and the insurance companies may have requirements that include the number of crew required, etc..
Old 03-31-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
What do you think?
You know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be competent.

Serving as railmeat on someone else's racing boat is not adequate experience for crossing the Pacific. Throwing out terms like hull speed does not mean you know what you are doing.

You are grossly underbudgeted; $35K is not enough to buy and equip a 35' boat for blue-water cruising. You have no idea of the additional expenses in equipping a boat. The fact that you think that is possible indicates your lack of depth of knowledge. There are people on Sailnet who will cheerlead you into problems that are much greater than your experience level, just because they like sailing and take their own experience for granted.

Just as an example, why don't you tell us how much you have budgeting for a life raft, EPIRB, PLB, watermaker, solar power, and food stores? You have no idea. Or do you think someone is going to hand you a fully-equipped 35' blue water cruising boat you can hop on for $35K? It ain't gonna happen, sister.

Take it slow. Buy a seaworthy smaller boat first. Gain some ocean cruising experience before you make the leap you are contemplating. How do you know how you will feel about being alone out on the ocean for days at a time?

We don't want to Monday morning quarterback your demise in the middle of the Pacific. These same people who are acting as cheerleaders right now, are the same ones who discourage anyone for criticizing the unprepared sailors who get into trouble and summon the Coast Guard to save their sorry arses.

Your description of financing and insurance is also confusing and also indicates that you do not know what you are doing.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-31-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013

timangiel is on a distinguished road

Is it really necessary to travel so far to find the type of boat you want? It just seems like there will be quite a bit of expense preparing a boat to be worthy of the trip home, and once you get it home you may not need it to be that well equipped. Or is the trip home part of the appeal of the whole thing?
Just curious. Good luck no matter what you do.
Old 03-31-2013

Thanks,

Interesting, these various responses. Putting ideas out in a public forum like this, receiving collective wisdom --

In my opening post, I set out a proposed plan, two groups of boats, and a budget. I've tried to answer posters honestly -- my plan is just that, some years away, and I'm gaining in experience, as part of this process. The issue of my "dangerousness" seems separate from economic factors (which I prefer not to discuss in detail). I can work to develop my experience; the economic realities seem more fixed. A third factor concerns where I live -- it would be good to purchase an offshore-capable boat here--I continue to look.

Whether my goals will be met, I cannot say -- the responses I've gotten, positive and negative are focusing. My voyage aims involve cultural (community) and educational perspectives, along with ecological and other considerations -- I'm a professional educator and writer, have penned numerous books and publications. My auto-bio takes this thread far from it's original question, though not from its wellspring.

Nothing has to happen -- I'm looking into it. Have had some discussion with James Baldwin (atomvoyages.com). If I was 20-something or 30-something, I would go that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
Is it really necessary to travel so far to find the type of boat you want? It just seems like there will be quite a bit of expense preparing a boat to be worthy of the trip home, and once you get it home you may not need it to be that well equipped. Or is the trip home part of the appeal of the whole thing?
Just curious. Good luck no matter what you do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.