Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

Hoping to run this by some experienced offshore eyes.

My plan is to purchase on North American west coast (or Mexico), coastal shakedowns, passage to HI, Oceania, NZ, Aus., Indonesia, Philippines, ending in Japan (my home). No hurry, but I don't have the luxury of boat hunting for months at various marinas (let's say a month, tops). Probable solo, possible shorthanded passage. No fixed schedule, not wanting to spend too many months outfitting, can break up the voyage (moor in NZ during typhoon season). Budget dictates price range as shown, length around 35.' I'd enjoy the boat for local coastal cruising, following this voyage. I've a shortlist of two groups of boats -- what do you think? (a few data points shown), foolish? Reasonable? Would you have a top recommendation (given similar condition), or another suggestion choice (same price range, please). Budget for purchase, offshore outfit, any strengthening = $40K (preferably less & am handy):

First group --
Disp.: @ 17,000 lbs, lwl @ 27-28'
Cal 35 (79-) $26K-ish d/lwl=244
Islander 36 $15K-$35K (71-) d/lwl=266
C & C Landfall 35 $30-$35K (79-84) d/lwl=303

Second group --
Disp.: @ 11,000 lbs., lwl @ 25--26'
Ranger 33 $15K-+ (69-78) d/lwl=259
Ericson 35-2 $20K-$30K (69-81) d/lwl=301
Tartan 34C $15K-$25K (69-78) d/lwl=320

Hull speeds are all not so far from 7 knots. Draft is 5' or less, excepting the Islander (@6'). The Landfall price-wise doesn't leave much in my budget for outfitting. As you can see, I'm interested in fin keels, medium/medium-heavy displacement boats. Plenty of variance in design, tankage. The smaller boats -- easier on the budget, cheaper to maintain, moor, etc.

As to alternate choices, would prefer to avoid full keels, drafts over 6'. There are many, many lovely boats I can't afford... But I can always spend less . Call this a reality check.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

If you have limited time to look. unless you luck on to a boat pre-prepared, you are into the practical proposition of taking the best or least worse available.
Few boats are blue water equipped or ready, probably more so in that age price range and getting to that will be your major expense. I am thinking of things such as a windvane which will take time to fit.
I also wonder about your route and timing specifically switching hemispheres and hurricane seasons. I imagine that you are not talking about this year.
Old 03-29-2013

Hi Chris,

I'm thinking to purchase by Aug/Sept. 2015, and will make several trips in the next two years to marinas, view boats, network (e.g. this coming August, the following March). Would hope to camp on/live aboard, for outfitting. I imagine leaving for HI by Feb/early-March (2016). By July, we are into typhoon season in Japan seas, right through September (moorage for these months, if needed). Boats around the Baja also Mazatlan, having been sailed down the coast, may need less in outfitting. Sometimes spotted on yachtworld. Like you say, some luck and good timing is important, but just visiting and making contacts may be worthwhile, is my thought. Most of the boats I selected leave room for $15K-$20K in outfitting. I would have a survey done, so hopefully no unwelcome surprises..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
If you have limited time to look. unless you luck on to a boat pre-prepared, you are into the practical proposition of taking the best or least worse available.
Few boats are blue water equipped or ready, probably more so in that age price range and getting to that will be your major expense. I am thinking of things such as a windvane which will take time to fit.
I also wonder about your route and timing specifically switching hemispheres and hurricane seasons. I imagine that you are not talking about this year.
Old 03-29-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Robin Lee Graham crossed the Pacific and almost made it around the world in a Cal/Lapworth 24. It is not the boat that matters, it's your ability.

What is your experience?

The fact that you have to ask this kind of question indicates that you are probably not ready for your trip.
Old 03-29-2013

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road

You'll find a lot of boats that are cruise-prepped down in Mexico and selling at a discount compared to US prices on similarly-equipped boats. Look on YachtWorld (we worked with two different brokers down there and were very impressed with the professionalism plus they were cruisers and knew what was important) . . . we got ourselves a GREAT boat that way and I've known of many well-equipped boats sold there.
Daily Alice likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2013

Good to hear, Can I PM you?

For sure, YachtWorld is a good resource, it would be helpful to have a few recommendations too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynShearlock View Post
You'll find a lot of boats that are cruise-prepped down in Mexico and selling at a discount compared to US prices on similarly-equipped boats. Look on YachtWorld (we worked with two different brokers down there and were very impressed with the professionalism plus they were cruisers and knew what was important) . . . we got ourselves a GREAT boat that way and I've known of many well-equipped boats sold there.
Old 03-29-2013

I'd like to stay on topic, rather than be dissed for not having enough experience, but I guess you feel free. Fair enough. I've never owned the sort of boat I'm now looking for. Grew up sailing; these days crew on a J/120, racing, crew on a 40+' Jeanneau, some others. Will be offshore in the Gulf this summer, etc. I think I mentioned, some months of shakedown cruises planed and a three-year prep. timeframe. Certainly, will have more offshore experience in the next 2 years, however, lacking my own proper boat and big bucks, and considering my location in a beautiful, yet low-yacht-per-capita population, in Kyushu, Japan, I hope you'll cut me some slack. Maybe not. I am well aware as an avid reader of many riveting circumnavigations and passages in many types of craft. I can't row the Atlantic, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Robin Lee Graham crossed the Pacific and almost made it around the world in a Cal/Lapworth 24. It is not the boat that matters, it's your ability.

What is your experience?

The fact that you have to ask this kind of question indicates that you are probably not ready for your trip.
IslanderGuy likes this.

Last edited by Daily Alice; 03-29-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2013
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

What is your experience?

Odd, I got the opposite impression, he knows what draft and hull speed are, and generally sounds like he knows about sailing, just looking for recommendations on boats, others he may not have come across yet.

I agree with looking around in Mexico and south, I've seen lots of good cruising ready boats for sail down there too, although I didn't buy one

Also, if you have the option of buying early, that'll give you more options. IE if you can watch the market and be ready to buy a year ahead, you'll have more options then just whats available in the month you plan to arrive here. Of course that might mean more trips this way, and storage fees etc.

As to boat recommendations, have you looked at cascades at all? They are though boats, and I happen to know of one for sale on the west coast. (No financial connection, just used to have my boat in the same marina.) It's almost cruising ready, well equipped for short handed sailing. Would need solar panels and self steering though. The current owners sailed in extensively in the pacific north west, from Oregon to Alaska and lived on board for many years. I've never sailed on a Cascade myself, but they are a lesser known brand I've heard lots of good things about for longer voyages.

1977 Cascade 36 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-29-2013

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road

Feel free to PM me, MazMarine has brokers in three cities -- we worked with the ones in LaPaz (Mike and Shelly are friends as well) but have heard good things about their affiliates in other cities too. They sold our boat.

We bought that boat in 2002 from Nick at what is now Vallarta Yachts (located in Puerto Vallarta) and we were very pleased in working with him.

There are some other brokers on the Pacific side of Mexico and I don't mean to imply anything against any of them by not including them here -- just that I don't have any knowledge of them.

If you tell the broker what you intend to do and your budget, I think they'll be able to help you find a boat and will tell you honestly the pros and cons of the various ones. They are also very in-tune with the local workers, yards and so on for any work that you decide to have done. There are plenty of good surveyors in Mexico, too, to help you assess a particular boat.
Grunfeld likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-29-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Latitude 38 magazine is a good source for boats on the west coast, and there seem to be quite a few in Mex.
Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine

Another great resource for Pacific crossings is the Pacific Puddle Jump organization.
Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site

Not personally familiar with any of the boats on your lists so can't recommend any, but I would tend to favor the longer waterline, heavier disp. ones.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse