SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Any Gulf 40 drivers out there? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/97995-any-gulf-40-drivers-out-there.html)

Catmando 03-30-2013 03:05 AM

Any Gulf 40 drivers out there?

I am interested any getting some feed back on the early Gulf 40's, (flush deck/pilot house models.)

Any info and/or sail experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jrd22 03-30-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Any Gulf 40 drivers out there?

Do you mean the Gulf 32s? Unless I'm mistaken (entirely possible) that was the largest Gulf made, and they were built pretty well from what I hear, although I don't have any first hand knowledge. Several of them around the PNW here.

Catmando 03-30-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Any Gulf 40 owners out there?

Apparently a few 40's were made.

I am interested in hearing from any current/former owners of the Gulf 40/CSL-40. Thanks!

SloopJonB 03-30-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 1009933)
Do you mean the Gulf 32s? Unless I'm mistaken (entirely possible) that was the largest Gulf made, and they were built pretty well from what I hear, although I don't have any first hand knowledge. Several of them around the PNW here.

I think he means this one. AFAIK they were all wood, maybe glass over.

GULF 40 (GARDEN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Look at that D/L ratio :eek: I think that's the highest I've ever seen.

P.S. there is (or was) one for sale in S.F. Bay area Craigslist - going very cheap IIRC.

jrd22 03-31-2013 11:49 AM

SJB- thanks, never heard of that Garden model and when he said "pilothouse"....

Yikes, 25' WL on a 40 footer?

SloopJonB 03-31-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 1010307)
SJB- thanks, never heard of that Garden model and when he said "pilothouse"....

Yikes, 25' WL on a 40 footer?

I've seen the same hull with a very glassy pilothouse - it's illustrated in Garden's book. The one I saw for sale in S.F. was that version but I couldn't find a pic of it.

Sailfaster 10-13-2014 02:44 AM

My cousin had a William Garden Gulf 40 sloop named "Moonshadow." I crewed aboard for about a year and a half in the South Pacific in '81-'82. Moonshadow was built out of fiberglass in the PacNW as a custom job. I did a lot of driving for sure. The Gulf 40 sailed pretty well and we had one of the fastest passages from Fiji to New Zealand in '81 of 8.5 days. I was wondering what happened to the boat and stumbled on this post.

bobperry 10-15-2014 01:45 PM

There were about three Gulf 40's in the Seattle area back in the early 60's. I used to race against them. I remember one was owned by a guy with an Italian name. I want to say something like Al Stromboli but that's probably not correct. One had an awful looking spinnaker. Looked like an elephant's ass. They were not fast boats but I always admired the look. I think they were built in Hong Kong.

Now this is a coincidence!
I just happen to have Garden's construction plan for the Gulf 40 on my drawings board today. Don;t know how I got it but I used to pester Bill for old prints and I had a bucketful. The date on the drawing is "May '63". It says "1964 model" at the stop of the sheet.
LOA 39'9"
DWL 28'0"
Beam 10'10"
Draft 6'1.5"

The drawing shows a strip planked boat with a modified full keel but I recall some had fin keels and skeg hung rudders. Sections show quite a bit of tumblehome.

I found this print rolled up with a bunch of drawings I did back when I was a kid.

There is no client name on the drawing but on the back of the print there is a stamp saying:
"Morgan Diving and Marine Enterprises, Shelton, WA and scribbled in pencil it says "$500 due".

Sailfaster 10-16-2014 03:06 AM

Very interesting, Bob. I didn't know there were more Gulf 40s in Puget Sound. And more interesting is that I believe Moonshadow was built in Shelton. Not of strip plank, but fiberglass. She didn't have much tumblehome so may not be the exact same design. I'd love to see the plans you have as it may just be a link to a very special yacht.

The actor Hal Holbrook had a Gulf 40 named Yankee Tar. We met him in Opua, New Zealand in 1981. He later donated his boat to a maritime museum in Virginia.

bobperry 10-16-2014 10:37 AM

Sailfaster:
The stamp does say "Shelton, WA." But the construction show timber build and tumblehome. Maybe the builder took the tumble home out so he could pull the hull from a mold easier.

I have one big print, that's it. I also have the small drawing in Garden's design catalog he gave me when I was 16 years old. It show fin and skeg hug rudder. You would be welcome to stop by and look at the print anytime. Or I could get a copy made for you for $100. My time is valuable.