Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road
Cost of new sails

One of the boats we are seriously considering for our first purchase is a 1992 Catalina tall rig with a wing keel. The owner has been meticulous in the boat's maintenance. It's never been in saltwater, but stayed in northern Lake Michigan. Woodwork is in great shape and the boat is very clean. However, the sails are still the original, making them 21 years old and will probably need to be replaced sometime soon. It has a furled 140% genoa and a mailsail with lazyjacks and a sail stack system. Any ballpark numbers of what we can expect to pay to have the sails replaced? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cost of new sails

To get an idea you can use FXSails.com's instant quoting. (I'm not endorsing them, I have never purchased anything from them, but I have used them when I was in your same situation considering boats that would need new sails to get a ballpark figure for costs)
Old 04-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

1992 Catalina 22 or 42?? makes a bit of a difference

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The smallest tall rig catalina I know of is the 27, you could get those sails for around a grand ea, ie main and jib. Now if you are talking a 420, figure 3-4G each. Every other size in between, in between. so with this babble. which model? I also believe it is national sales?!?! has them already premade up for some sizes. FX sails whichis a sponsor on here, you can look up the prices by model of the boat, then play with full vs partial battens, 0 vs 1, 2 3 reefs in the main, inshore vs off shore sewing material wt........Jib can be different LP's, furling vs non furling jibs. For both, dacron vs pentex vs lanminated dacron/mylar.................

Marty
Old 04-02-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

The Catalina 25 has a tall rig as well.
Old 04-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Is that a Catalina 25, 27, or 30? I'm guessing it's a 25, but it's tough to tell.

For new sails, have you checked out CatalinaDirect.com? They aren't exactly the ceapest, but should give you a rough idea. You can also sometimes find used sails that are only a year or two old, especially for the Catalinas. You can check out MinneysYachtSurplus.com for used sails.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

The Catalina is a 36. Sorry for not including.
Old 04-02-2013
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

I would also point out that sail material and finish make a big difference in cost. I have a Catalina 42, just replaced the main and jib. A "standard" sail - suitable for Lake Michigan - would cost about $3,000 for the main. The sail I purchased, an offshore cruising sail - heavy duty, triple stitched, reinforced etc. cost closer to $5,000.

If you sails are 21 years old you need new sails unless the boat was never used and the sails kept in bags in the basement. When I changed my 10 year old sails (on a boat kept in Lake Michigan) i picked up a knot of speed for the same wind/sail trim configuration

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 04-02-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Rolly Tasker is still likely to be your cheapest place for NEW sails. Used sails are always an option. Since it's a 36 it'll likely be harder to find used sails that fit.

Other inexpensive options are FX Sails, Sailrite, Catalinadirect, and mauripro sailing (look at their cruising line). Apparently Peaksailsna.com also is a source.

OK, just a quick search, and I am kind of surprised, not as pricey as I expected...
http://tinyurl.com/bt2cggy link to peaksailsna.com
About what I paid for my racing sails for my 25.
Old 04-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For a C36 Main and genoa.. I'd say minimum $5K for bottom line on-line supply, to $7-8K for local name lofts.. and up depending on the bells and whistles/materials/designs your choose. Much more if you want more than the two sails, eg spinnker/assym, working jib etc

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)