SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Buying A Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/98189-buying-boat.html)

huntermj 04-06-2013 12:32 PM

Buying A Boat

So i have decided to buy a Riptide 31 sailboat. I have had the survey done and i am happy with everything. So on friday we agreed to meet on monday to finalize the deal. So the owner just called me and asked if i could bring cash to pay him. or if i could split the checks into amounts under 10,000. should i be concerned? It just seems sketchy to me.

TQA 04-06-2013 12:53 PM

Re: Buying A Boat

Yes

but I would expect a discount.

You HAVE checked title?

huntermj 04-06-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1012983)
Yes

but I would expect a discount.

You HAVE checked title?

Yes everything is in order as far as the paperwork goes. its USGS registered in his name. and the surveyor did the background on it.
He says he does not like to deposit more then 10 grand in his bank account as that requires the bank to notify the government.
i was just surprised by the request.

sailpower 04-06-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntermj (Post 1012988)
Yes everything is in order as far as the paperwork goes. its USGS registered in his name. and the surveyor did the background on it.
He says he does not like to deposit more then 10 grand in his bank account as that requires the bank to notify the government.
i was just surprised by the request.

I'm pretty sure the bank does not have to notify the feds for check deposits.

It used to be only for cash greater than 10k.

Has that changed?

joelsanda 04-06-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailpower (Post 1013006)
I'm pretty sure the bank does not have to notify the feds for check deposits.

It used to be only for cash greater than 10k.

Has that changed?

I think the ruling is for anything the bank finds 'suspicious' - which is activity not normally associated with the account holder. The Nest has a nice write up on this. Also, I just read the IRS is using social media to help them identify assets taxpayers have that may trigger conditions for a successful audit.

azguy 04-06-2013 02:29 PM

You can deposit a check in any amount without Fed notification, cash over $10K gets reported but you can walk in one day and deposit $5k and the next day another $5k without any issues. Heck you can deposit $9k a hundred days in a row if you want.

The $10K limit was to stop drug dealers and others involved in illegal activities from depositing many 10's of thousands at once.

There is no need to

sailpower 04-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azguy (Post 1013009)
You can deposit a check in any amount without Fed notification, cash over $10K gets reported but you can walk in one day and deposit $5k and the next day another $5k without any issues. Heck you can deposit $9k a hundred days in a row if you want.

The $10K limit was to stop drug dealers and others involved in illegal activities from depositing many 10's of thousands at once.

There is no need to

By law, if the cash deposits are linked to a single transaction they have to be reported no matter how you break them up. Consecutive daily cash deposits of 5k or 9k would certainly trigger a report.

I don't see what this seller is concerned about with a check for the proceeds.

huntermj 04-06-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailpower (Post 1013018)
By law, if the cash deposits are linked to a single transaction they have to be reported no matter how you break them up. Consecutive daily cash deposits of 5k or 9k would certainly trigger a report.

I don't see what this seller is concerned about with a check for the proceeds.

I dont either but he is going to get a bank check for the boat. i would rather have it recorded by his signing the check.
I just had a thought, maybe he is getting ready to declare bankruptcy?

asdf38 04-08-2013 04:05 PM

What was your impression of the guy? It doesn't strike me as too surprising that someone is looking for ways to avoid attention or taxes. How often does a small business give you a discount for cash? We all know that's to help them avoid tax. If he gave you a discount it would be easier for you to accept...