LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004

lgsailor19 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 35

Any feedback/input on the Catalina 35?
Owner reviews?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Catalina 35

If you would like meaningful input it might be helpful to give us a bit more information about what you plan to do with the boat, where you plan to sail her, and how much experience you have.

Jeff
Old 05-28-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Catalina 35

Donít own one and would NEVER but from my observations at the shows it doesnít need sails as it has about 5 feet of freeboard, has a cockpit that is well suited to entertainment but very poorly suited to sailing, cheesy hardware, a fat ass stern that looks butt ugly (some would call it powerful but itís still butt ugly), open and spacious cabin but with no hand holds which go to my opinion of its target market with enough head room for most NBA players (I believe itís 6í9Ē Ė(see free board comment) shallow storage behind cushions and the like, in general poor storage. I almost forgot to mention the tug boat prop they all come with! What the hell was Catalina thinking when they designed this beast?

Iím sure there will be those that say they love it. Feel free to trash my boat, I can take it!
Old 05-30-2004

Eddie X is on a distinguished road
Catalina 35

Well Denr, glad you think the boat is ugly, but I really didn''t hear much significant criticism beyond the high freeboard, no handholds and big prop.

Yes, it has high freeboard, but it has enormous room inside. There are handholds throughout the interior, and all boats of this size come with what might seem like a big prop.

What "Cheesy hardware" are you talking about? My 350 came standard with quality, well built gear from Harken, Garhauer, Lewmar and Shaeffer - in many cases "overbuilt" - particularly in comparison to the competition.

Since you''ve never sailed one - and only have a "boat show opinion", thanks for not trashing the sailing characteristics of this boat. She is well balanced, will easily sail to her hull speed, and comfortable to sail singlehanded. Full batten main and Dutchman make easy work of a powerful main, and furling headsail takes care of business up front.

Check out catalinaowners.com for some other, more experienced-based opinions on this very popular boat.
Old 05-31-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
Catalina 35

I would like to second Eddiex comments. Handholds work quite well, I have no idea what Denr is talking about. Plenty of storage and plenty of room. Hardware is better that the competition''s. Going to cross the Atlantic, I don''t think so. I''ll most likley get a different boat for that.

If you like boats which are cramped, require you to walk around hunched over, crawling over seats and around wheels and only fits 2 comfortably, this is not the boat for you.
Old 06-01-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Catalina 35

I truly believe that the recognition of denial is the first step in the heeling process. I did sail one of these this weekend in 8-10 knots of wind. The boat seemed mostly lethargic, exhibited poor directional stability and was underpowered, that said it had a roller shade main. This boat was so klutzy to sail, it has a tiny wheel compared to its huge "entertainment center style" cockpit so one could NEVER see a tell tail on the headsail and steer the boat at the same time. The broker told me most people that buy these boats use the autopilot when underway, huh? The tiny wheel requires that you sit almost directly behind it, it lost almost all way in the lighter winds when tacking the boat and required a "snap tack to get the boat through the wind. I stand by my comments about poor shallow storage and few usable handholds in the cabin.
Old 06-01-2004

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Catalina 35

I thought the first step in the heeling process was to trim the sails tight and head up as close to the wind as possible.

I have a Quantum V3 asymmetrical spinnaker for the 8-10 knot days on the Chesapeake Bay and my 350 moves along quite nicely. I did get the fully-battened main vs. the in-mast furling version, and a 150 genoa.
Old 06-01-2004

Yodagwb is on a distinguished road
Catalina 35

Its a miracle the damn thing floats. I didn''t realize it was like sailing a freight container, I am so depressed I may go out and sink it. Then I can get me one of them Sabre that sail 20 degrees to the wind and goes 9 knots while I stand in the middle of the cabin and close both the starboard and port portholes and the same time, while carrying 4 months of supplies for the week end. All this while the boat sails it self without an auto pilot because the boat is balanced so well I don''t even have to crawl over the gaint rail to rail wheel.

Or a little more wind and some practice may help.
Old 06-01-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Catalina 35

Give me your address so I can ship the sawsall over night, we should have you sunk before 11 tomorrow, I suspect the fish might like her!