SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

28'' Schock Santana - Opinions?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
28'''' Schock Santana - Opinions?

I have been looking (not too closely) at a 1980 28'' Schock Santana. It looks OK from a distance. I haven''t sailed one and I never even heard of this brand. Are there any opinions out there about this boat for a first time buyer?

#2 ·
28'''' Schock Santana - Opinions?

I assume that you are looking at a Santana 228. This was a rework of an earlier IOR-esque design. These were budget oriented, preformance oriented racer/cruisers. Their design was somewhat obsolete by the time they saw production in the early 1980''s. Design and build quaility on these boats were not all that great. That said, if the price is cheap enough and the boat was reasonably well maintained and upgraded these can be a reasonable weekender/coastal cruiser that should sell in the $8-10K range. Schock is an older company and a pioneer in fiberglass boats, they are still in business. It is generally thought that later Schocks offered better build quality than the boats build duing that era.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.