Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004

rjmil is on a distinguished road
38 footers

After a three year layoff(I owned and sailed a sirius 28 from 90 through 2001) i''m ready to renter Narragansett Bay, this time, with maybe a 38 footer. My current short list includes Sabre, Ericson, Pearson and freedom. I''d be interested in opinions about these choices.
rjm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2004

onojmai is on a distinguished road
38 footers

a pearson 38 is a good boat- my father owned one 10 years ago. solid construction. though a comparable sabre will cost more, they are probably a nicer all-around boat. what''s the price range? i''m sure someone around here will answer all your questions.
Old 05-31-2004

38 footers

price range of 80,000 to 120,000. Although i''m in no hurry i thought i''d start my research now. i''ve seen all the above mentioned boats on the water and the shows(newport-providence etc.)through the years and the more i compare the more questions i have. I''m familiar with the performance deficits pof a wing(owned one for 11 years)but i''m sure there are wings that perform better then others. How does the ericson wing stack up? My first boat was a paceship py23. I had some problems with the mechanics of the keel but once corrected i thought the centerbd. performed well. the mark 2 sabre''s centerbd.; are there any mechanical or performancxe problems? i''ve got many more questions but this is a good start..
Old 05-31-2004

Eva is on a distinguished road
38 footers

I am a new owner of a Sabre 38 MkII with a centerboard, and couldn''t be happier with it. Our previous boat is a Sabre 34 (for sale, if anyone is interested), also with a centerboard, and the build quality of Sabres spoils you for anything less. We find the centerboard ideal for the skinny waters of the Chesapeake, and have had no performance issues with it save for the occasional thunk in the centerboard trunk when the seas are especially turbulent.

At $80-$120K you may be hard-pressed to find a Mark II Sabre 38, but the Mark I models (which were built through 1987, I believe) are equally well-constructed and may even have a lower PHRF than the Mark II''s.
Old 06-02-2004

38 footers

I''ve heard from saber, pearson and freedom but nothing from ericson owners about the 38. Sailing performance of the wing and fin, any major maintenance issues,etc. The Bruce King article in SAIL didn''t say much about the ericson line,other then it is a good performing boat. I''m very interested in info. about ericson.

rjm
Old 06-11-2004

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
38 footers

Save yourself alot of money and get a great boat that use to be owned by a friend of mine. I bought its sistership 20 yrs ago and his boat sounds in even better shape.

C-C Apache 37 Mk II “EASTERLY” – US Documented Yacht – For Sale
37’ Sparkman & Stephens Apache Mk II Racer-Cruiser, 1969/96 by Chris-Craft & Corny Shields under Olin Stephen’s supervision, after design of America’s Cup “INTREPID”.
S&S Brochures, History & Sail Plan available

LOA: 37’ Hull Construction: Solid Fiberglass, Hand-laid Sail Area: 744 Sq. Ft.
LWL: 27’ Deck & House: Solid Fiberglass Spinnaker: 1,100 Sq. Ft.
Beam: 10’3” Displacement: 14,500 Lbs. Berths: Six @ 6’6”
Draft: 5’9” Keel: 6,220 Lbs. Iron Bulb Headroom: 6’3-1/2”
Tankage: Fresh Water – 80 gallons. Diesel Fuel – 30 gallons. Waste – 16 gallons (with 3-way valve).

SAILS: Full Batten “Marblehead” Premium Main by Harding 2001, Spectra Tri-radial Genoa by Shore 1996 on Pro-Furl R/F. Light Blue Nylon Spinnaker, Pole & sheets; 160% Drifter of 1.5 oz Nylon; new Dacron stay-sail.
PHRF Rating: 160/182; Race History: 1st’s & 2nd’s; 3rd overall 1997 Beverly Yacht Club Twilight Series.
Cruising History: Marblehead to Nova Scotia; Marion to Mt. Desert 2002 without incident. Never chartered.

POWER: 1989 25-Hp Universal Diesel w/ low hours, Fresh-water-cooled; Full Engine gauges: Tach, Volts, Temp, Oil Pressure & Temp alarms. Fuel Gauge. New Hurth Transmission 1994, New Heat Exchanger 1998, New 55-amp Alternator & Starter 2003/04. Automatic Halon Fire extinguisher in engine compartment.

INSTRUMENTS/ELECTRICAL: New Circuit Breaker Panel and new primary wiring 2003. Wind, Speed & Depth Meters, programmable Anchor watch, race timers, API & CHI. Loran, GPS, VHF Radio with Hailer. 6” Constellation Compass in Pedestal, 4” Richie Compass, AM/FM Stereo Cassette and TV-VCR. 2 G-27 deep-cycle house batteries and an isolated starting battery. 45-watt & 15-watt Solar Panels. Autohelm.

GROUND & DECK TACKLE: Double-throw manual Anchor Windlass with Rope and Chain jennies feeding S/S Double Bow Roller holding a Large Danforth on 250’ chain, and a Plow anchor on 300’ nylon. Spare Danforth on 250’ nylon rode. Sea Anchor. Large Fenders, Batter Boards. Outboard Crane Hoist at Stern.

UPGRADES: Wheel Steering, Barient #32 & Barlow #28 Winches, Windlass, SS Opening Ports, Holding tank.
CNG gas Stove-Oven & Hot Water Heater: H&C water at Galley, Head w/ Corian Sink & Shower. New 12-V Refrigeration with Icemaker; new Velvet Upholstery, New Breaker Panel & Wiring 2003. Custom Mahogany Interior & Floors. Hull topsides Awlgrip1994, compounded & waxed 2003. Bottom sandblasted & West System Epoxy-Copper Barrier Coated 1994; Keel stripped & Epoxy-Zinc sealed with new ablative copper bottom 2003.

LAYOUT: Preferred Aft Galley - Mid-ships Dinette: V-Berth forward, Head & Shower to port, two Hanging Lockers to starboard, Main Salon with Dinette to port which converts to a Double Berth, a Pullman Berth and Pilot Berth to starboard. Aft Galley, then Companionway steps to Bridge Deck and Cockpit with two large sail & gear lockers. Edson Pedestal Wheel Steering; Helmsman’s Seat, Aft Lazerette.

EASTERLY carries classic lines and sheer, and is a “head-turner” in any harbor. This belies her fast, dry, weatherly sailing performance made possible by her modern Bulb Keel – Skeg Rudder underbody. Keel-stepped mast. C-C quality fiberglass construction, epoxy-bottom, bronze thru-hulls, grounded. She easily out-sails Alberg 37, Cape Dory 38, Bristol 40 & Hinckley B-40’ and holds her own with many newer boats such as Bristol 38.8’s and Mason 43’s upwind. The S&S Apache 37 hull design is same as the S&S Hinckley 38.

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY at Triad Boatworks, Mattapoisett MA, (508) 758-4224 – broker (508) 748-3115
Offered at $34,500 before July 1st, $36,000 after. Owner (772) 215-3131 e-mail” <tructor@bellsouth.net>
Old 06-25-2004

greatlakessailor is on a distinguished road
38 footers

What about a Tartan 37?
Or 80''s vintage Hughes 38?
Old 06-25-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
38 footers

Both of these designs are quite long in the tooth. The Hughes 38, while a very good boat for its day, began life as a 1968 S&S designed CCA race boat. For its era, I actually like these boats but as a result of its CCA racing origins, it has an obscenely short waterline that hurts its ability to deal with a chop, its carrying capacity, and its overalll performance. I would think of this as a 32 footer crammed into the slip price of a 38 footer.

I know that the Tartan 37 has an extremely strong following but it suffers from many of the same issues plus some early IOR era issues as well.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 06-25-2004

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
38 footers

I just ran into Fatty Goodlander at the boat yard. He just completed a several year ''round the world cruise on a Hughes 38 that he bought for $3,000.00 and refitted. He loves the boat. He writes for all the magazines. I believe it required a roller paint job and some other minor work. Run his name on the internet and I''ll bet you find a lot of his articles and his email address. I''ll also bet he dealt with more than chop on his cruise. KW