Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013

BlkOnyx488 is on a distinguished road
would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?

So we have an opportunity to purchase our first boat. we are looking for something we can live abroad and travel with. We know someone selling a wooden boat that was built in 1966.

Should we stick to fiberglass. Or is Wooden ok? We are brand new to boat ownership. My brother in-law who has a few boats said no way, wood rots.

So what do you guys think? We are not in any rush to own a boat just yet. But for under 10k for a 44ft boat it's tempting.

however, the boat is currently on land, so I don't think we would be able to test drive it.

Last edited by BlkOnyx488; 04-12-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: would you buy a 44ft wooden power boat for 10k?

NO, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! Don't do it! Stay away!! Are you nuts!

Did i get my point across? I'd take your brother in law on anything you look at and hire a marine surveyor before you plop down any cash on a boat. It will save you thousands!
Old 04-12-2013

BlkOnyx488 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
NO, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! Don't do it! Stay away!! Are you nuts!

Did i get my point across? I'd take your brother in law on anything you look at and hire a marine surveyor before you plop down any cash on a boat. It will save you thousands!
Thanks! Not totally nuts that's why I am asking advice, before I do anything stupid. We don't have money to burn, so my intentions is to be very careful.
Old 04-12-2013

You have plenty of time. Read the forums here on sailnet and you will get plenty of great choices for 10k. If you are handy/skilled there are a lot of fixeruppers out there. One of my friends bought a Catalina 30 for $3k and fixed it up; looks beautiful. It didn't happen overnight though. Now, in addition, he has a US Yacht 40' that he bought for $5k. Good solid boat just needed work and a new motor. Now it sails great with a minimum investment. (~$12k) He does all his own work.

You can do it too
Old 04-12-2013

Oh yea, there are plenty of people on sailnet that probably live local to you that would love to go boat shopping with you and help spend your money.
Old 04-12-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 View Post
So we have an opportunity to purchase our first boat. ... We are brand new to boat ownership...

But for under 10k for a 44ft boat it's tempting.
No.
Just,... No.

I've owned more wood boats than I have fiberglass. I love wood boats. But a big unknown wood boat as a first boat will make you hate boats, boating, your spouse, your kids, the water, the guy who sold it to you, and life in general.

How do you know if you should not buy a wood boat? If you have to ask the question, "Should I buy a wood boat?"

If you like working on boats, are prepared for surprises, don't expect to get the boat in the water this year, understand that this $10K boat will likely be at least $25k before the end of this season, and will cost you at least $5k and at least 2 weeks of your time per year for every year after just in sweat euqity, storage, and maintenance costs ... then this is the boat for you, because you're not looking for a boat, you're looking for a hobby.

But if you want ot get into boating, not woodworking, there are lots of other boats out there, that are lower maintenance, for less money.
Bilgewater likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'm a wooden boat lover, and have self studied them most of my life.

Should you buy a wooden boat? Well, because you had to ask; No. Because the boat is on land.. another No. it's most likely never going to get wet again. The owner is just praying someone like you to come along and buy it while knowing full well he will most likely never get rid of it. And have to cut it up for firewood!

If you still think you want a wooden boat. I'd suggest you join the wooden boat forums. there are people there that really do own them.. even very large sailing vessels. If you still want the boat.. find a wooden boat surveyor!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road

The thread title states "44 foot wooden power boat".... yet, the answers so far seem to be relating to sailboats. In any case, even though this is SailNet, I'm sure you can get some informed responses regarding your question.
Old 04-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

If I loved wooden boats and particularly that one, had the money for a proper refit (probably a lot given the size if the boat and the price), had the money or the time and the money for a proper maintenance (that is a costly and time expensive one).

Why do you think the boat is cheap?

If the answer is yes to all those items follow Denise suggestion and join wooden boat forum.

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I love well kept, well varnished, highly polished wooden boats that belong to other people. To answer your question, I wouldn't take the boat if it was offered for free.

QUOTE "We don't have money to burn" END QUOTE

You have to have money to burn to own a boat, boats cost money, lots of money, they are known as a hole in the water in which one throws money.
Run away, fast and now.
Sal Paradise likes this.