What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?

Thank god I didn't know what I wished I had known before buying my first boat! Might not have one now, and then where would I be?
ChesapeakeMC likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Wish I had realized the wisdom of a wheelhouse, and inside steering. Wish I had realized how easy it is to build a far better anchorwinch, blocks , aluminium hatches, etc, than commercially made ones. Wish I had understod the importance of good insulation and a good, airtight woodstove .
Old 04-18-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Thank god I didn't know what I wished I had known before buying my first boat! Might not have one now, and then where would I be?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-18-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Wish I had realized the wisdom of a wheelhouse, and inside steering. Wish I had realized how easy it is to build a far better anchorwinch, blocks , aluminium hatches, etc, than commercially made ones. Wish I had understod the importance of good insulation and a good, airtight woodstove .
It took me a while, too, to realize that I could often fabricate items for my boat, that were better, and more durable, than what I could buy commercially.

I wouldn't say being handy with a tool, and liking using them is a necessity for a boat, but it sure makes it a lot more fun if you are.
Brent Swain likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-18-2013

cthoops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It took me a while, too, to realize that I could often fabricate items for my boat, that were better, and more durable, than what I could buy commercially.

I wouldn't say being handy with a tool, and liking using them is a necessity for a boat, but it sure makes it a lot more fun if you are.
I'm going to be sure to remember this before we just run out and buy something. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Now on my 4th sailboat, if it turns out you really like sailing, whatever you buy won't be your last boat. Your needs change as your life changes.

First boat recommendations:
- smaller rather than bigger
- simpler rather than complex
- buy from someone you know or trust, or get help evaluating from same

Then go sailing and you'll learn what you really want, in your next boat
Old 04-20-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I didn't really buy my first but as much as traded for it but it needed alot to get it ready to sail, while I had to buy a parts boat and build a trailer I had time to learn so much by just reading. It took buying 4 boats before I understand that bigger is not always better depending on how you are going to use the boat. My Chrysler 22 was great for doing weekend outtings , real fun to sail with very little expense. the Chrysler 26 was real nice for longer outtings and would be as big as I would have ever needed if I didn't decide I wanted to become a full time liveaboard cruiser.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 04-23-2013

KarlP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
1) Get towing insurance; its cheaper than a single tow, and with a new boat, you may well need it;
With both sails and an outboard I'd advocate inspecting your rudder carefully, carrying a spare tiller, and learning how to read a chart so you don't run aground. Those will dramatically lesson the likelihood you'll use that towing insurance.

Quote:
4) Despite the low investment you're making, consider getting professional surveys of the engine and boat (a new engine is $2,000+, a boat survey is $350-400, and an engine survey will be a few hundred) AFTER you've done your initial review;
If we're talking about a less than $5k boat with an outboard and porta potty, there aren't a whole lot of systems on the boat. A good condition used 6hp 2-stroke outboard is in character with the boat and ~$400. I skipped the survey on my Cape Dory 25. I'd been power boating for decades and brought my dad along to look at the rigging.

Quote:
5) Depending on the boat you buy (I strongly encourage you to consider a Catalina 25 or 27), get a trailer;
x2 on the trailer - It is MUCH easier to work on a boat in your own yard!
Old 04-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

[quote=KarlP;1020144]With both sails and an outboard I'd advocate inspecting your rudder carefully, carrying a spare tiller, and learning how to read a chart so you don't run aground. Those will dramatically lesson the likelihood you'll use that towing insurance.
[/QUOTE[
That depends on where you sail, and how recently the charts were updated. Hurricane Sandy played havoc with my area. I'd rather have the insurance. It also comes in handy not only when you run aground, but also when the engine dies in heavy winds and your marina is upwind, when another boat hits you, when you're fouled on something, etc. To me, the $125 or so is worth the peace of mind, and I'm frugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
If we're talking about a less than $5k boat with an outboard and porta potty, there aren't a whole lot of systems on the boat. A good condition used 6hp 2-stroke outboard is in character with the boat and ~$400. I skipped the survey on my Cape Dory 25. I'd been power boating for decades and brought my dad along to look at the rigging.
Not all of us have a dad who can inspect the rigging for us. That would make things easier! If you're new to sailing, it also helps to have someone who knows what chainplates are and how they tend to corrode, how to inspect a sail, or any of a number of other potentialyl expensive problem areas. In my case, with my C25, I had a swing keel. There are stories (admittedly not many of them, but confirmed none the less) of the lifting cables coroding so bad as to fail, allowing the 1500lb keel to "free fall" around the hinge point. The keel trunk wasn't designed to handle that much weight crashing into it, and it tends to cause the boat to sink fairly quickly. As with the towing assistance, I think the peace of mind that goes along with having a competent surveyor look at/for those kinds of things would have been worth the cost, and I only paid $1000 for the boat, including the outboard.

I went the used outboard route after the one that came with the boat died, and that was a mistake. Thankfully, the guy I bought it from was an amateur mechanic, and bought it back from me. After 2 engines dying, my wife decided she wasn't comfortable with anything but a new engine. That was a $2200 investment. Again, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
x2 on the trailer - It is MUCH easier to work on a boat in your own yard!
Can't take issue with that one!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

I wish i had known that I was going to be seasick eveytime i got on a boat.
And I still am on every trip.