Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

If you're interested in traditional design look at the Puffins.Done in Fe or AL. Made in Netherlands. Was on one that's homeported in New Hampshire. Stout and beautifully crafted. Amazing amount of useable space below. Doing new means you know what systems are going in. Details like the electrical runs are known to you. I did the runs organized by system and in conduit with pop off top covers. Can get to each piece and add more if needs be. My boat is like the old Valiants- everything in it can go through the companionway or out through the cockpit seat hatch above the work space. Replaced the invertor on th the PSC and it wasabitch. There was one turn into the engine space couldn't get anything through as it was a blind 90 degree turn.
Old 04-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I decided I wanted to do the N.A and S.P. gyres ~10y ago. (Think doing the clock is more a theoretical goal then seeing the world. But started with that goal (around the world) before doing research and listening to folks. However, I love my wife and carry my reponsibilities to my kids and parents in my heart. I have had one boat or another over a 30+yr span and have learned to accept my limitations. Having my wife have
enough water for a shower
warmth and cooling as environment demands
space to get away from each other for quiet moments ( amazes me we have never a a fight yet but each of us sometimes need "space")
etc.
So the creature comforts mean she will view world cruising as a adventure not camping on the water. It also means no hardship to stay in a region for some months if it is interesting to us.
Yes carry at least two spares for everything and a virtual tool shop but talk to your S.O. see what she/he needs to live aboard and how they want to liveaboard. Then look at your finances. Then look at boats. I went with a semicustom boat. It was the first new boat I ever owned. Everything from the frig openning from above and well as in front or having manifolds to limit throu hulls or the placement of hand holds or a thousand little details that will make life aboard a delight for a six footer and a 4'10" soulmate was incorporated. I projected what our physical capabilities will be in 10-15yrs and designed accordingly. I thought and discussed with my wife where we would be likely to go. I plumbed for a spendide and a watermaker but will only put them in when need demands. have no deck canvas with a hard dodger and hard bimini. Each will make decisions reflecting their needs and past expriences.
Before building the boat I knew economically it was unwise. But this is my life's dream and now my wife's. Screw those who view life as an accounting or business school exercise. Still, be solicidous of your s.o. Don't put them in any discomfort or stress that would strain your relationship. Don't build or buy a boat you can't run
by yourself
when everthing breaks
that doesn't make your heart skip a beat as you row your dinghy away from her
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Our rule on the boat is, "When it doesn't work for one person, it doesn't work for anyone."

It is cruising for Gawd's sakes. Make it enjoyable!! Get the things you feel make you comfortable and safe. Even Slokum had a chronometer, for Pete's sakes!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Quote:
I decided I wanted to do the N.A and S.P. gyres ~10y ago. (Think doing the clock is more a theoretical goal then seeing the world. But started with that goal (around the world) before doing research and listening to folks. However, I love my wife and carry my reponsibilities to my kids and parents in my heart. I have had one boat or another over a 30+yr span and have learned to accept my limitations. Having my wife have
enough water for a shower
warmth and cooling as environment demands
space to get away from each other for quiet moments ( amazes me we have never a a fight yet but each of us sometimes need "space")
etc.
So the creature comforts mean she will view world cruising as a adventure not camping on the water. It also means no hardship to stay in a region for some months if it is interesting to us.
Yes carry at least two spares for everything and a virtual tool shop but talk to your S.O. see what she/he needs to live aboard and how they want to liveaboard. Then look at your finances. Then look at boats. I went with a semicustom boat. It was the first new boat I ever owned. Everything from the frig openning from above and well as in front or having manifolds to limit throu hulls or the placement of hand holds or a thousand little details that will make life aboard a delight for a six footer and a 4'10" soulmate was incorporated. I projected what our physical capabilities will be in 10-15yrs and designed accordingly. I thought and discussed with my wife where we would be likely to go. I plumbed for a spendide and a watermaker but will only put them in when need demands. have no deck canvas with a hard dodger and hard bimini. Each will make decisions reflecting their needs and past expriences.
Before building the boat I knew economically it was unwise. But this is my life's dream and now my wife's. Screw those who view life as an accounting or business school exercise. Still, be solicidous of your s.o. Don't put them in any discomfort or stress that would strain your relationship. Don't build or buy a boat you can't run
by yourself
when everthing breaks
that doesn't make your heart skip a beat as you row your dinghy away from her
Right now no S.O. So the eventual S.O. will be pre-screened for the lifestyle....Therefore, rigging for shorthanded sailing will be very important to me. ...never know where I'll find "her."

Thanks for the great input! Much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if aluminum and variable draft look at the ovnis, boreal, and K+M
k+m wasn't on my list. I'll have to check them out.

for anyone else similar in similar options, I've also got a few others that fall into the variable draft and/or aluminum hull:

Allures
Atlantic
Van De Stat
Futuna
Alubat Cigale
Alliage
Feeling
Flint
Iroise
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 379
Pogo 12.5
Southerly
Tartan
Old 05-02-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
k+m wasn't on my list. I'll have to check them out.

for anyone else similar in similar options, I've also got a few others that fall into the variable draft and/or aluminum hull:

Allures
Atlantic
Van De Stat
Futuna
Alubat Cigale
Alliage
Feeling
Flint
Iroise
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 379
Pogo 12.5
Southerly
Tartan
.. and of course many of these are beautifully detailed and reviewed on PCP's "Interesting Sailboats" thread.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)