Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Within the next 5 years I want to be on a blue water capable boat circumnavigating. In the meantime, I am READING A TON and taking copious notes.

I grew up sailing and racing small dinghies and every once in a while i'll rent a boat in CA for the weekend for some solo sailing just to keep the mind fresh. I would like to eventually spend a season crewing/deliveries to help build my "wants" lists and learn what I do and don't like in particular designs.

For those of you that have bought new boats, I was wondering if you had any thoughts about what you had the builder install vs what you decided to install yourself.

Was this decision a monetary one (cheaper to do it yourself)? An experienced based decision (I want to know my boat better)? Other?

If you could do it over again, what else would you have asked the builder to take care of?

On a side note, I'd like to thank all the contributions made day in and day out by soooo many. You're not just helping other boater owners; you're helping the sport and the lifestyle! Thank you!

paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Paul,
joshua slocum circled the world without a chartplotter, VHF, SSB, EPIRB, or any of the acronyms we take for granted today.
In a boat too small for a world too large.
I have been in the "go big go later' school, and have alsoo dipped my toes in the "go small, go now" philosphy mindset...
Look, here's the deal:
Live like you're dying.

Grab your calculator.
take your available liquid, running-from-the-cops cash.
Now, take 50% of that.
Buy the best boat you can find that will fit the number of warm bodies you need to fit aboard.
Not the boat with the most equipment.
Not the boat with the lowest price.
Not the boat with the longest LOA.
Find the boat wiht the most stuff, needing the least maintenance or replacing, in the lowest LOA at the lowest price.

The just fluck off and never ask questions here again...but come back and offer advice based on your experience doing what you gotta do with what you got...

As James Taylor sings, "I guess I'll have to go..."
barefootnavigator likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 04-14-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

5 years? ; What about now Get started! It still might take 5 years to get there but; get started now you will not be disapointed! The sooner you get in the sooner you will be there!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 04-14-2013

Well, ummmm thanks for the responses??

OK. This isn't intended to be a thread about doing it now. IT AIN'T HAPPENING NOW. I've set a reasonable timeline, one that allows me to build skills and knowledge over the next few years (delivering, crewing and chartering....all of which speak to doing it NOW) and fits into where I'm currently at.

This thread is intended to provide lessons about equipping your boat and the reasoning behind the decisions you made......that's all. simple.
Old 04-14-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Sorry, we bought a used boat but it did come with everything needed to do some long term cruising. We have a bit more experience than you but we started a similar plan 3 years ago. One more year and we should be ready to go.

My only advice would be to buy the boat at least a year before departing. Live on it and sail it as much as you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-14-2013

It may not be happening now, but start looking now, as the boat you want/need may be a year or three out.
As far as your clinical opinion of a "reasonable timeline":
Five years is not a "reasonable timeline.'
ask anyone who bought a house in 2008, expecting it's value to double in 5 years.
setting a schedule to find the right boat is like planing the timeline to find your true love: It happens when it happens.
So, you might as well prepare like it will happen tomorrow.
Which may be why you see more CPA's golfing than sailing.
You build skills by doing, not by planning.

That's all. Simple.

I get where you are coming from: You have a plan to wind down your dirt life, find the very best boat for your needs, balancing your current net worth and income potential against the projected and expected cost of a vessel and the incidental costs incurred.

My wife and I made our decisions based on our goals and adapted our needs to fit our goals,somewhat.

In 2007 we were dissatisfied with our lives, with children growing apart, working 60-70 hours a week to maintain a lifestyle we were too tired to enjoy, filled with crap that simply didn't, and still doesn't, matter.
In 2008 my wife sailed for the first time, and discovered she liked it. I doscovered that i needed to be on the water again, because...
In 2008 we both had health scares.
Having your spouse's (might be, maybe, we need more tests) life expectancy laid out in clinically ambiguous terms makes you re-evaluate the folly of "five year plans."
Today my wife has a clean bill of health..
But, we still live like we're dying.
if we didn't , we wouldn't have a boat, or a life outside of redecorating a place which we now inhabit abouyt six months a year.

And we did it for about the cost of two charters.
frankly, if circumnavigating is our goal, purchasing a new boat is a bad, bad investment. You'd be 10s of thousands of dollars ahead buying a boat that has already been there, done that. Someone else has already bought the AP, windvane. solar panels, etc., etc., .. . so yo don't have to, and they will sell it to your for half price or less.

I'm sorry, i missed the part in our first post about you wishing to buy a new boat. we didn't have the times or funds for that.
Still don't.
So i apologize if our experience is not relevant to you.
bristol299bob and jimgo like this.

Last edited by bljones; 04-14-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2013

bljones,

by all means that was a great post. thank you for the insight.

i heavily lean towards a new boat because...i want new systems, newer hull designs (aluminum w/ lifting keel is nearing the list's top...quickly) as well. i understand the downside is the lack of it being thoroughly tested but the counter weight is i can relatively expect lower maintenance costs (& time). i place a heavy weight on maintenance because i am wise enough to know boats are A LOT OF MAINTENANCE....and then there's the other side of the equation: ME! I don't know if I'll enjoy doing ALL the maintenance. Likely will but I know me....better than most. (I'm not afraid to take the front of an engine off and replace all belts, timing belt, etc....but it mayyyyy sit awhile before I do it...if you know what I mean.)

thanks for the input!
Old 04-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

OPC.. I hope you're frequenting the 'interesting sailboat' thread that PCP is maintaining. He's got all the latest and greatest, and it's pretty clear that Europe is leading North America on this front. Also member Hannah2 is awaiting a new build Boreal, which fits into your aluminum/lift keel genre.

Lots of good reading and research half done for you already.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
OPC.. I hope you're frequenting the 'interesting sailboat' thread that PCP is maintaining. He's got all the latest and greatest, and it's pretty clear that Europe is leading North America on this front. Also member Hannah2 is awaiting a new build Boreal, which fits into your aluminum/lift keel genre.

Lots of good reading and research half done for you already.
Faster,

Thank you. I couldn't agree more! I've read every page and every once in a blue moon will exchange thoughts w/ Paulo. I love that thread!

For others reading this...go check the Interesting Sailboats thread. It's FANTASTIC.
Old 04-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
bljones,

by all means that was a great post. thank you for the insight.

...thanks for the input!
Thanks for your thanks. Look, I readily admit to being a bottom feeder, scornful of all things shiny and new, but...

Dude, no one enjoys maintenance. It is however, a necessary evil, on boats both new and old. But buying a new boat adds a new wrinkle to this mildewed bedspread.
Buying a new boat is not like buying a new car. Nay, rather than simply turning the key and enjoying the efforts of QC and R&D and the benefits of a design penned for the consumption of the unwashed to the tune of hundreds of thousands of units, Instead, it is like buying a new software program created by a respected codeslinger who, alas, has never quite done this before, and you might experience a few bugs and glitches and it may lock up and freeze and not work and hey, it's okay, cuz we'll fix it, and this is just part of the deal when you are an early adopter...
So, you get to be the guinea pig on your very own 6 figure floating home, attempting to figure out how to integrate all of the systems, and/or paying others to make it all work, on your dime and on your time....
or you can buy a five year old boat where someone else has already taken the depreciation hit and figured out how to get all of the systems tacked on to the boat to work together. the systems all work,the bugs are debugged and you are, more or less, ready to go, at a lower price point. less money spent on a boat that is more ready to go means more time away from the grind, sooner.
If you don't like maintenance, i humbly suggest that a worldlap is not for you, since 26000+ miles over saltwater will entail a crapload of maintenance, usually when you least expect it, and usually when it is both most inconvenient and most expensive to accomplish.

I fully understand not enjoying ALL of the maintenance... but the more you spend on paying others to do things you should know how to do yourself, the less time you get to spend away from the grind.