SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Somebody is gonna get a sweet boat for little money!

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SloopJonB 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That is one heck of a boat. Personally, that is just too much equipment to maintain IMHO, but good luck to the winning bidder. Damage doesn't look all that bad.

#5 ·
Lots of new gear. Looks like she was well cared for before the salvors beat her up.

Makes you wonder what happened to the owners after they were evaced off the boat. It's a real shame... :(

#6 ·
Looked at the parent site. Lots of Sandy boats. Looks like we found out who's selling them.

#9 · (Edited)
Really could be, or it could be just part and parcel to the business of selling trashed boats. They don't claim to be selling ready to go boats, but you know the posts we see here all time about people buying boats halfway across the country sight unseen and wonder if they can sail them home 20,000 miles. There description sure did not really match the amount of damage to the boat, and to say it was insured for 300,000 is very misleading. Check yacht world and they start at less then $50,000 granted this one had a lot of new gear, it seemed not not really be that clean in the bilges. I don't think it would be offered at over 150,000 prior to the accdent. Nada average is $67,600, though I am sure that includes some projects. But if it stays below 50,000 they will be getting a good deal.

The best quote was:

The fiberglass hull is in good condition except for small hole noted below.
I think a hole excludes it from being in good condition. But at least the front did not fall off.

a small delamination where the recovery vessel lightly touched the Vagabond while salvors were boarding.
Does not look like slight damage, and is not going to just buff out.

#11 · (Edited)
Yep, someone's gonna get a good deal if the price stays close to 40K.

Replacing the caprails is going to be the hardest job. They are through bolted, and access from the underside is impossible without tearing out cabinetry.

I also gotta throw the BS flag on the "lightly touched" bit -- the lay-up on Vagabonds is really beefy. Even 3' above the waterline, you're probably looking at a minimum of 3/8" of solid glass. Somebody hit her pretty hard to inflict that kind of damage.

#12 ·
Exactly. Lightly touching scuffs the gelcoat. Delamination of any kind takes a very hard hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.