Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I would completely strike Cape Dory off my list, they have way too many deck problems and I'm sure your not looking to completely rebuild a boat. Old boats can be very expensive when it comes to upgrading rigging, sails... Living aboard is a very different lifestyle, I love it but most don't. On 30-40 year old boat you wont find the space you do on most modern boats so size is another issue. I have been living aboard for years, currently on a 22' cutter and love it. If you can find a decent Triton 28 that might be at the top of your list, but again, if it sounds like you are walking on a bag of Doritos when you are on deck, walk away. You might find an old Westsail 28-32 for 20K, there are dozens of Flicka's in that range. Rangers and Cal's will get the job done. Vega's are cheap, small and great sailing boats for under 10K. I would suggest putting the whole budget into the boat and doing upgrading and repairs over the years, assuming you have 20k in cash. If you are borrowing money you may be sealing your own fate on an old boat. FYI I just met a guy here in the harbor who sailed his 5K Ericson 27 from Wa to Mexico, out to Hawaii and back to WA with no complaints. I'm filming a video right now and one of the interesting things we are doing is cutting into hulls of boats built in the 60's and 70's for cross sections, very interesting stuff. We also took a 5 lb sledge hammer to a 1962 Columbia 24 but you will have to wait and see which one won
The simplicity of it all has a deep appeal. The money will be what I can throw together from my own savings, leftover student loans, and the light showering of 'thank God he did it' graduation (MA in Econ) gifts from a family of academics and sailors. I'm putting it all at about $20k. No doubt many of my 'requirements' are mutually exclusive.... so perhaps goal is to triangulate the best possibly boat for myself.

Last edited by dogeconomics; 04-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST DEFINITIVE WEBSITES ON SMALL BOATS ANYWHERE.
Atom Voyages - Cruising FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the Forum.

There are some good boats out there. Just research what you like and go look at them. You have a better idea of what works for you. I'm 6'5" and didn't expect to find a boat that I can fully stand up while in the cabin and the boat I have won't allow me that unless I'm standing with an open companion way hatch.

If you want to stand, you can always go on deck.

I know the Albin Vega and CD27s are popular. The CD27s may cost a bit more than your budget is allowing. A CD25, maybe. Like Barefoot says, there are many Flickas and other boats out there. Since you're starting off, find something that will work for now and as your funds and your experience grows, you can then see what you really want if/when you upsize to a larger boat.

Good luck in your search.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 04-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post
The simplicity of it all has a deep appeal. The money will be what I can throw together from my own savings, leftover student loans, and the light showering of 'thank God he did it' graduation (MA in Econ) gifts from a family of academics and sailors. I'm putting it all at about $20k. No doubt many of my 'requirements' are mutually exclusive.... so perhaps goal is to triangulate the best possibly boat for myself.
My first thought with this financing plan is that you are somewhat counting on student loan money you have left over (it has to be repaid at SOME point) and currently hypothetical money coming in in the form of gifts to buy the boat. And making your budget fit the as-yet-seen money. That implies that there may not be a lot planned into repairs and maintenance. Unless you have knowledge of mechanics and carpentry, you may want to wait until your boat fund is a little more shored up.

You'll do what you want in the end, but be aware of how it will look to be an advanced degree Econ major broke and homeless because you didn't plan your finances better when buying your boat.

Just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-22-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
but be aware of how it will look to be an advanced degree Econ major broke and homeless because you didn't plan your finances better when buying your boat.

Just a thought.
Leave it up to you to keep it real.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 04-22-2013

bruceket is on a distinguished road

I would add the Islander 32, or 30 Bahama (flush deck), an old Allied Seabreeze 35. I would second a Pearson 30. And don't think your $20k budget is too limiting. I found my daughter a Pearson 26 (her first boat) for $1,200. We had to spend about $200 on new lines, cam cleats, etc. Just research ebay and craigslist daily and you'll be amazed at the opportunities. Whichever you choose just make sure she sails well. Good luck
dogeconomics likes this.
Old 04-22-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

check the classified section of this forum, i thought i saw a well found albin at a give away price there last week.
dogeconomics likes this.

S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 04-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

The Ranger 29 will sail circles around the Vega. But having owned an Albin myself I know they are very durable boats.
dogeconomics likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-22-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
My first thought with this financing plan is that you are somewhat counting on student loan money you have left over (it has to be repaid at SOME point) and currently hypothetical money coming in in the form of gifts to buy the boat. And making your budget fit the as-yet-seen money. That implies that there may not be a lot planned into repairs and maintenance. Unless you have knowledge of mechanics and carpentry, you may want to wait until your boat fund is a little more shored up.

You'll do what you want in the end, but be aware of how it will look to be an advanced degree Econ major broke and homeless because you didn't plan your finances better when buying your boat.

Just a thought.
Valid points! Wasn't going to go into details on my finances.... but since that seems to be important to the discussion, here goes. I will have around $20k to spend. The rest... the gifts, loan extras will amount to a very small portion of that... A few thousand at most. What I look at as extra money for updates and mods. In fact, one of the reasons I'm just going for it with a boat is so I can dump all that rent/mortgage money on my pile of loans and make it go away ASAP.

And I am a good electrician, solid carpenter, and fairly competent mechanic. Used to teach woodworking in a high school, freelanced as a lighting technician, and always do my own engine repairs. Plus there are sailors in the family that are exceedingly competent at such things.

I am good with budgeting. And this degree has taught me a few things about opportunity cost!
Old 04-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post

I am good with budgeting. And this degree has taught me a few things about opportunity cost!
Sounds like you have it worked out. I can only respond to what you choose to share. That said, many have come through with your basic idea. I'd be interested in hearing from the ones (you maybe?) who actually make work what you'd like to do. They tend to disappear after not receiving the answers they expected. I'm sure one or two are out there.

I'm sure your sailing friends will tell you that there are always maintenance costs and you might be putting more of the rent/mortgage money on an ongoing basis into the boat than you expected. Even if you buy a boat brand new from the factory, there are ongoing costs.

Someone else said that no one is trying to discourage you and that's true, but before I owned a boat (and my first one was only 22 feet) I had NO IDEA how much it would cost to keep it floating even after we learned how to do a lot of the work ourselves.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne