Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

You could easily find a CD27 or 28 in good shape for under $20k.

We own a CD27, I'm 6'1 but the cabintop scrapes the top of my head in the aft portions of the cabin, I can't stand up in the v-berth.

Personally, I'd lean towards the 28 if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
I would completely strike Cape Dory off my list, they have way too many deck problems and I'm sure your not looking to completely rebuild a boat.
I've never seen a CD with deck problems that weren't attributable to idiot owners, what's your source/experience for that?

Any boat with improperly bedded deck hardware will develop core rot, our CD sat neglected for 8+ years and the deck is still solid and coring dry with no rot or structural damage. I've looked at a number of others in the same situation, none with deck problems. They have their select issues, but deck problems aren't one of them unless someone didn't bed their hardware properly (the factory did).
blowinstink likes this.

Last edited by Shinook; 04-22-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Sounds like you have it worked out. I can only respond to what you choose to share. That said, many have come through with your basic idea. I'd be interested in hearing from the ones (you maybe?) who actually make work what you'd like to do. They tend to disappear after not receiving the answers they expected. I'm sure one or two are out there.

I'm sure your sailing friends will tell you that there are always maintenance costs and you might be putting more of the rent/mortgage money on an ongoing basis into the boat than you expected. Even if you buy a boat brand new from the factory, there are ongoing costs.

Someone else said that no one is trying to discourage you and that's true, but before I owned a boat (and my first one was only 22 feet) I had NO IDEA how much it would cost to keep it floating even after we learned how to do a lot of the work ourselves.
I am grateful for your input. These are serious, legitimate concerns that are no doubt frequently underestimated. And thats why I'm here talking with you lovely people! If it doesn't pan out, then it doesn't pan out. I'm a flexible person. Maybe I'll circumnavigate someday; maybe I'll end up in a Tibetan monastery. But right now the bug has bitten, and hard. So I'm going to pursue this until it becomes a part of my life or until I find its not for me. In any case, looking forward to any future discussions we might have.
Old 04-22-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Cape Dory deck problems. I've been working on boats for 25 years, The balsa cores are a nightmare. Yes they are beautiful great boats but the OP is on a serious budget and deck issues can be very costly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013

Quote:
Cape Dory deck problems. I've been working on boats for 25 years, The balsa cores are a nightmare. Yes they are beautiful great boats but the OP is on a serious budget and deck issues can be very costly.
That's a problem with a lot of boats, not just Cape Dory. I'm pretty sure most of the boats on his list (if not all) have cored decks. If anything isn't bedded properly, then the core will get wet and rot. What makes you believe this is an issue exclusive to Cape Dory?

Just about every fiberglass boat needs it's decks checked and bottoms checked for blisters, among a number of other items. Just a part of surveying the boat well before you buy it. There are issues specific to the Cape Dory, but again I don't think I've ever seen one or heard anyone else indicate that decks were more of a problem than any other boat with cored decks. Either way, it's easy enough to check for.
Old 04-22-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Any older boat with a balsa core is going to be a nightmare. My thinking is his budget, he can get a CD with bad decks for 20k or a Triton with bad decks for 4K and have 16K left for outfitting, they call it yachting for a reason. Again I love CD boats, im keeping his budget in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2013

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Recoring entire deck of 28 ft boat will cost $1000 in materials at most. and couple of weeks of labor. The job is not difficult and doesn't require PhD. Why do you call it nightmare?
It is a part of owning an old boat....
dogeconomics likes this.
Old 04-22-2013

Quote:
Any older boat with a balsa core is going to be a nightmare. My thinking is his budget, he can get a CD with bad decks for 20k or a Triton with bad decks for 4K and have 16K left for outfitting, they call it yachting for a reason. Again I love CD boats, im keeping his budget in mind.
Understood, but I think you can get one for a lot cheaper with good decks. We paid a LOT less than 20k (a fraction of) for ours and our decks are fine. We recently removed a bunch of deck hardware, redrilled and filled some holes, everywhere we did so was dry. Our initial survey showed no moisture damage in the decks, either.

I've poked around with a few CDs that were less than 20k as well, all with good decks. There's no reason to believe that an older CD (or boat for that matter) can't have decent decks, provided owners have bedded their hardware over the years.

You should be able to get a CD27 for 14k or 15k with the original 8hp Yanmar, in good cosmetic and structural condition. It won't be pristine and in brand new shape, but she'll be structurally sound and have everything you need.

That said, I wouldn't deter anyone from getting a Triton You might could also find an Alberg 30 in your price range.
dogeconomics likes this.
Old 04-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Triton? Alberg 30? Great boats if you like antique performance.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-23-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Can't believe anyone has yet to ask- are you a 'freshwater' or 'saltwater' economist?
Old 04-23-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Can't believe anyone has yet to ask- are you a 'freshwater' or 'saltwater' economist?
HA! And why should I limit myself? Call me... a brackish economist. Or don't call me an economist because really I'm just studying the stuff.