Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Triton? Alberg 30? Great boats if you like antique performance.
What would you recommend in that price/size range?

(I'm legitimately curious, not being rhetorical)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2013

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road

You might consider a Pearson Vanguard. Great first boat. Good headroom, solid hull, ok sailor. Also, easy to singlehand conservative rig. Watch for core issues on deck, but relatively simple to repair. Dinette layout is great dockside for live aboard. 6-10K would get you a good start, probably with a diese, though parts for the A4 are abundant and a simpler engine was never designed.

I've been aboard full time for years and find her pretty comfortable. At 10 K you'd have money left over for newer sails, a reefer, upgraded electronics if desired, dodger etc.
The boat is plain inside, but think of it as a blank canvas since your a good woodworker.

One big plus is relatively shallow draft so you can poke your way down the coast. Many have voyaged far.
Old 04-23-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
You might consider a Pearson Vanguard. Great first boat. Good headroom, solid hull, ok sailor. Also, easy to singlehand conservative rig. Watch for core issues on deck, but relatively simple to repair. Dinette layout is great dockside for live aboard. 6-10K would get you a good start, probably with a diese, though parts for the A4 are abundant and a simpler engine was never designed.

I've been aboard full time for years and find her pretty comfortable. At 10 K you'd have money left over for newer sails, a reefer, upgraded electronics if desired, dodger etc.
The boat is plain inside, but think of it as a blank canvas since your a good woodworker.

One big plus is relatively shallow draft so you can poke your way down the coast. Many have voyaged far.
Interesting! Initially I was very attracted to the Vanguard, Alberg 30, and other early models. Really liked the lines and heavy construction. But it seems there are more posts about how the hulls aren't built well, tons of deck problems, lack of internal framing, sailing comfort etc, etc. I certainly don't have a problem with time and maintenance, but I definitely want a sturdy boat. I had kinda given up on a boat that had the look I really wanted, with the exception of the Vineyard 30' and maybe the Seawind. Nothing against the other boats! Just like certain looks more than others.

The idea of a 'blank canvas' is very appealing... but I want to be certain the canvas is worth painting. Any other thoughts on them?
Old 04-23-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I think it was mentioned, but I would reitterate that boats that are 20-30 years old are built tough as nails, but their age warrants a solid professional survey. It is well worth it to spend $500+ on a survey now. Definitely test for moisture in balsa cores and the overall health of the major systems. A limited budget will benefit from one over the long haul.

While people definitely sail Pearson 35's (my boat) trans-ocean, some people don't think they are optimal for blue-water because the cockpit is too large. It really boils down to exactly how "blue-water" you need. If it is more coastal/blue-water then your options are much greater.
Old 04-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
It really boils down to exactly how "blue-water" you need. If it is more coastal/blue-water then your options are much greater.
I would say a coastal/blue-water would suit me just fine right now.
Old 04-23-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

First of all, I would suggest that there almost no such thing as a solid 'blue water cruiser' for less that $20,000 ready to go. At best you are looking at compromises.

Boats like the Alberg 30 (I raced offshore on one of these), Triton (I have a lot of hours on these) and Vanguard (my family owned one of these) were mediocre boats offshore, when they were new and they are now nearing (and most cases passing) 50 years old. These are tired old boats with designs that never were very good offshore. And yes, I know that people have taken them offshore and survived. I did not say that they can't be taken offshore, I just said they never were very good for that purpose.

Of the boats mentioned above, the Tartan 30 would certainly be my first choice. You should be able find a clean one in your price range, and would be a good choice to cruise the Bahamas and Carribean. But even if you found a really clean one around $10K there is a whole range of things that you would need to do to go cruising on one. You would want to add more water and fuel tankage, heavy air sails, good ground tackle and ground tackle handling gear, a good way to deal with the 'dinghy question', if they are not there-add self seteering gear, teathers and strong points, backing plates to heavier loaded items, and so on. Even doing your own work, you can quickly burn up $10K.

I would set it up with hank-on 110 jib that can be reefed and with a downhaul to strike it from the cockpit.

It may be old, and pressing your budget, but at least with the Tartan 30, you would end up with a boat that sails well.

Very close behind the Tartan 30 is a bit of a rare bird, the 1960's era Galaxy 32 (AKA as the Metal Mast 32 and Paceship 32). These were amazingly advanced boats for their day. Well built and sailed extremely well. If they were more common, they would be number 1 on my list.

Other favorites of mine are the the Bristol 33/34. I saw one go for around $15K last year and that would have made a great platform for some serious cruising. The Pearson 10M (33) were a nice design but not as robust as some of these. One of the least known really neat boats is the mid-1970's era, Ray Richards designed Cheoy Lee 32 sloop/cutter. All you just need to do is find one with an aluminum spar and the teak decks removed. Another design which is often overlooked is the Pearson 323.

If you have your heart set on going 'old school' I like C&C Corvette, followed by the Bristol 29/30 (not to be mistaken for the 29.9), (1960's era) Morgan 34, the Tartan 27 and then there is the Seawind (mk1) if going painfully slow isn't too painful.

Anyway, these are a few quick suggestions but they might move you in a direction that has not been mentioned......

Jeff
dogeconomics likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-23-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

When you actually get around to shopping for this dream boat, you may find that your options are a bit limited. You will only be able to shop in a certain geographic area, for a boat that is in reasonable shape, but not too expensive, etc. It will help a lot if you have a fair number of boats you would consider (and learn why some others wouldn't be such a good idea).

Find a cheap(ish) boat. Just keep it coastal, and pick your weather windows. Save the ocean crossings for another boat.
dogeconomics likes this.
Old 04-23-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Look around for a freedom yachts cat ketch or and an offshore 33 cat ketch. both have self tending sails and full keels. You're doing it wrong if you to put your beverage down to tack. The biggest issue people have with them is that they just look wrong with free standig masts and no shrouds or stays.
CrazyRu and dogeconomics like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 04-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
First of all, I would suggest that there almost no such thing as a solid 'blue water cruiser' for less that $20,000 ready to go. At best you are looking at compromises.

Anyway, these are a few quick suggestions but they might move you in a direction that has not been mentioned......

Jeff
Jeff_H,

I've read many of your posts and am thusly grateful for your response. The Tartan 30 is on this list because of one of your previous posts... possibly comparing it to a Vanguard. And the more input I get, the more I realize the term 'bluewater' doesn't really apply to what I'm looking for.

I'll start some research on the ones you pointed out. The Cheoy Lees are definitely good looking boats. The teak decks made me a bit nervous, but I'll watch for those with them removed. Family members are BIG Bristol fans and owners, so my respect for them wars with my desire to be a rebel and sail something different.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post here!

Chris
Old 04-23-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Might also check out John Vigor's book, 20 Small Sailboats
dogeconomics likes this.