SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   day charter boat and other stuff (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/9882-day-charter-boat-other-stuff.html)

Carbonbody 06-09-2004 11:53 AM

day charter boat and other stuff

Basically I want to know if I am crazy or not...

I''m looking to setup a mom & pop day chartering service in and around the virgin islands. Nothing fancy, just be able to take 6 passengers (8 counting crew) for day sails. My total budget will be $70,000 max. The boat will also be used as a liveaboard. It would need to be able to sail round trip from VI to North Carolina coast twice a year.

I would like some suggestions on types of boats to start looking at. Also are there used Cats in my price range? I dont want to start a big Cat vers single hull debate. :)

Also if anyone has experience in day charters in the virgin islands area, I''d like to know if I am crazy to think I can do business there and actually make enough money to get by.

One more thing.... will a Charter Boat Off shore Captain''s licence (6-pack) all I''ll need to do business?

thanks everyone! I''m new here but excited about getting out there!

HHJ 06-09-2004 12:42 PM

I am a frequent visitor to St. Thomas and one of the highights of each trip is a daysail. You''ll be in some pretty good company, so you''ll need to do something to distinguish yourself from the competition. Trips like you''re thinking about tend to get you around $100 per person, but you''ll have to provide drinks and at least a light breakfast/lunch. As I''m thinking about this, there''s alot to say. Have you been to the VI to see what that kind of business is like? If you''d like, drop me an e-mail off-line and I''d be happy to fill you in from a customer''s standpoint. two.onoak@verizon.net

Carbonbody 06-09-2004 01:58 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been to the USVI''s, but did not do a day charter. I guess I am just trying to see the big picture first, not try to plan everything out just yet. I''ll be going back this fall to day sail and learn more about the business.

DuaneIsing 06-10-2004 04:04 AM

Quote: "Also are there used Cats in my price range?"

The easy way to check is to go to Yachtworld and see. Just place in your upper price range and choose the catamaran design, and you''ll have a list. Keep in mind that the initial cost of the boat is but a fraction of the total cost of starting up a business such as you describe. While I sincerely hope you can realize your goal, undercapitalization (meaning not enough startup money) is a chief factor in failure.

Good luck.

Carbonbody 06-10-2004 01:11 PM

Thanks...found there really arent any cats in that price range that fit my needs.